New Canadian Covid Testing Protocols?

Please remember that the rules have been finalized yesterday, and we all know a cruise will happen.  Many of us, also knew that Canada was going to have strict rules for entering which now we know what it will be, and can plan for it.  Also, the cruise line can now start planning and getting things ready.  They will manage it just fine because the Alaska Season is a huge season, and they aren't giving that up.  Also, remember the other good news, is that they are going to follow the current CDC rules, so no place was it mentioned that a mask once on the ship will be required, except as the CDC required it, and the ship, will be nearly 100% vaccinated since getting into Canada without a vaccine, will be rare.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canadianmama3 said:

It doesn’t even matter about the rules for cruises.   The people in your party who are not vaccinated would not be allowed on a flight to Canada.  This has been the rule for a while now and is not likely to change.  

I completely understand this. Our friends simply have not been hearing me and have felt that they could get around the rules with a religious exemption from the cruise line.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Please remember that the rules have been finalized yesterday, and we all know a cruise will happen.  Many of us, also knew that Canada was going to have strict rules for entering which now we know what it will be, and can plan for it.  Also, the cruise line can now start planning and getting things ready.  They will manage it just fine because the Alaska Season is a huge season, and they aren't giving that up.  Also, remember the other good news, is that they are going to follow the current CDC rules, so no place was it mentioned that a mask once on the ship will be required, except as the CDC required it, and the ship, will be nearly 100% vaccinated since getting into Canada without a vaccine, will be rare.

I think our friends were hoping that the cruise would be moved to Seattle. I also tried to explain this to them, that even if it was moved to Seattle, that we would still need to make a stop in Canada. These friends will probably cancel. The only way this affects the rest of us on our cruise is that we are four couples, and our four daughters are in a room together. So we will have to figure out what happens when we remove one of the girls from their room. 

Just diving into figuring out the testing requirements. We plan to fly in to Vancouver from the US 2 days before our cruise. I believe that if we test with a proctored antigen test before our flight, that would cover both the Canadian testing and Royal testing requirements.

Hopefully, Royal will provide testing the day before disembarking. I will assume this would be antigen testing as well.

If we stay in Vancouver for two nights post cruise, do we need to test again before flying home from Vancouver to the US?

I understand testing requirements can change between now and July. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

Also posted in another thread:

After two years, the road is finally clear for cruise ships to call at and sail from Canadian ports. Transport Canada, Canada Border Services Agency, Public Health Agency of Canada, and port officials finally reached an agreement that opens up the country’s cruise industry with guidelines that largely mirror those implemented internationally.

The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) in Canada stated it welcomes the planned resumption of cruises. Earlier today, Holland America Line called the move a positive step in the right direction. The first cruise ship since 2019 is scheduled to call in Victoria, British Columbia, on April 6, 2022.

Through Canadian Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Transport Canada released the long-awaited new health and safety guidelines for cruise ships today, March 7. 

As expected, the measures introduced by Transport Canada essentially mirror those implemented in the United States by the CDC. However, there are some exceptions. Guests wanting to take a cruise that departs from a Canadian port, or one that has a Canadian port as a port of call included, will need to take a PCR test within 72 hours before they board. 

An antigen test is also accepted; however, only if it was taken within one day of boarding. That means that the current standard that is in place in the US, 48-hours before boarding, is not valid for cruises that call in Canadian ports. 

All guests must be fully vaccinated before sailing, although some groups may be able to get an exemption if they comply with one of the following: 
  • Children under 12 (note, many cruise lines require vaccination for children five and up);
  • Proof of a Medical contraindication; or
  • Religious belief (only for those with a right of entry to Canada, including Canadians and those boarding in Canada).

Cruise ship operators will inspect proof of vaccination and monitor and report test results. No guest or crew will be allowed off a cruise ship unless they meet the requirements, which the Canada Border Services Agency will enforce.

Guests disembarking a cruise ship in Canada must take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72-hours before arriving in Canada or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled arrival. 

CLIA said it would continue to engage with Transport Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada, and regional agencies to review protocols as the situation evolves.

CLIA in Canada reacted positively to the new Transport Canada health measures that make cruising possible again.

“With today’s announcement, cruise lines are preparing for a full schedule of sailings this year from April to November, with itineraries that will include ports and destinations on both Canadian coasts. Many months of work have led to this announcement by Transport Canada, and we are delighted to be coming back.”

“When cruise resumes in April, CLIA member cruise lines will be sailing with COVID-19 protocols that span the entirety of the cruise experience and provide some of the highest levels of prevention, detection, and mitigation compared to virtually any other tourism setting.”

The first cruise ship to sail to a Canadian port will be Caribbean Princess when she arrives in Victoria, BC, a popular cruise port on Vancouver Island. Her arrival kicks off a season of sailings to Alaska and the Canadian east coast, including no less than six ships from Holland America Line, which reacted to the news earlier today through President Gus Antorcha: 

“This is a positive step for everyone who loves to travel to these regions and for all of the businesses in Canada that we support through tourism.

The cruise industry is a vital artery for Canada’s economy. Before the pandemic, it supported approximately 30,000 Canadian jobs. It generated an estimated CA $4.3 billion in total economic benefits, including CA $1.9 billion in direct spending and CA $1.44 billion in wages and salaries each year.

Canada Confirms Cruise Restart and Details Protocols (cruisehive.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

All US arrivals via air require a test, for now.

I plan to test before we fly. But if we fly in 2 days before the cruise, do we have to test before the flight AND before boarding the ship?

We have to test to disembark. We planned to stay a couple nights post cruise in Vancouver as well. Do we need to test before disembarkation and then again before flying home?

I know this can all change before July.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The requirement for the ship is two days out (at any time).

The requirement from Royal. What about the Canadian requirement for boarding the ship? Would we be exempt from that because we flew in a couple days before? Because if we take an antigen two days before the cruise (day of flying in) that would no longer work to board the ship according to Canadian rules.

30 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Just diving into figuring out the testing requirements. We plan to fly in to Vancouver from the US 2 days before our cruise. I believe that if we test with a proctored antigen test before our flight, that would cover both the Canadian testing and Royal testing requirements.

no it won't.  The ship will require 24 hours for antigen or 72 hours for PCR.  This is the Canada rules just released.  So if you fly 2 days before the cruise, you will most likely need the test on day you fly, and PCR tests won't be available that fast.  Note they also said 72 hours, not 3 days....so that might mean 72 hours from 4:00pm when the ship leaves.  You might need to have 2 tests if you do the antigen tests.  

Hopefully, Royal will provide testing the day before disembarking. I will assume this would be antigen testing as well.

If we stay in Vancouver for two nights post cruise, do we need to test again before flying home from Vancouver to the US?

Yes, you need a test within 24 hours per USA rules.  So yes, you need a test in Vancouver, not the ship.  So, you will need a test on the ship, to go into Canada, and another test on the ship to leave for USA. 

Thank you!

I planned my Alaska cruise, one way from Vancouver to ensure most of this is eliminated.  Example, I will take a PCR test prior day of flying, only stay one night in Vancouver.  This plan was for a 48 hour window for both.  now that it is 72 hours and a PCR test, I can still get one test, for both, and we have a place that gives same day results for PCR.  Return trip is from Alaska, so no testing required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Thank you!

To fly into the us you need an antigen test taken no sooner then the day before your flight.  So if you stay in Vancouver after your cruise for a couple days you would need another test.  

• Thanks 1

Well this is going to be interesting and I really hope RCI advise passengers what they are going to do to support the testing requirements as soon as they can.

We are flying into USA from UK on the Friday (very early am) and our cruise sails on the Saturday from San Pedro. 

We were hoping that our antigen test (already booked in UK for the Thursday morning) would suffice both the USA and RCI requirements, but since we are on a B2B (San Pedro > Vancouver, then Vancouver > Vancouver) which sails end April I am now not sure what tests we will need to have, or where even to get them!!!!

With 44 days to go I really hope RCI give clarity pretty soon 🤔

15 minutes ago, 38anchor said:

Well this is going to be interesting and I really hope RCI advise passengers what they are going to do to support the testing requirements as soon as they can.

We are flying into USA from UK on the Friday (very early am) and our cruise sails on the Saturday from San Pedro. 

We were hoping that our antigen test (already booked in UK for the Thursday morning) would suffice both the USA and RCI requirements, but since we are on a B2B (San Pedro > Vancouver, then Vancouver > Vancouver) which sails end April I am now not sure what tests we will need to have, or where even to get them!!!!

Although my situation is not identical, I will give you what I am doing and will work.

April 14 get proctored antigen test.

April 15 Fly to LA From Vancouver

April 15 board RCL ship using same test

April 21 get tested onboard complimentary

April 22 Disembark LA

April 23 Embark using complimentary test

April 29 Disembark Vancouver

The presumption is that RCL will test prior to the stop in Victoria to satisfy entry requirements. They have an obligation to satisfy Canada’s requirements for entry.

hope this helps a bit

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

The requirement from Royal. What about the Canadian requirement for boarding the ship? Would we be exempt from that because we flew in a couple days before? Because if we take an antigen two days before the cruise (day of flying in) that would no longer work to board the ship according to Canadian rules.

Suggest that you ask the Canadian forum a month before sailing. The locals will be able to help with test options and general information. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

Plenty of PCR and rapid test options in downtown Vancouver and at the airport. 

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/travel-planning/takecare/covid-19-testing

Right now, we know cruise ships will sail from Canada. Anyone vax is good to go.

The first ship will the Caribbean Prince (April 7) followed by the Koningsdam. The first RCI ship is Radiance on April 29th. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I was thinking that Canada would have just adapted similar rules to the CDC guidance for cruising.

Hopefully the US will make the exception for Alaska sailings but for our Oasis Canada cruise, we may be straight out of luck. For what is worth to speculate, I wonder if they will readjust the the cruises before ours to extend it to 6 or 7 nights and make a run to the Bahamas? 

Bermuda's channel is too small and a tender wouldnt be feasible. Hoping they don't cancel us (we need this to help us hit Diamond by end of year)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Thanks. We booked this cruise quite awhile ago. Kind of crazy that we would need to be tested up to 4 times to take this cruise...

You're not having to be tested 4 times to cruise - You're choosing to add extra days before and after that mean you need to test two additional times. If you cut back on the extra days you wouldn't need to extra tests. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 38anchor said:

I would think RCI management is already in discussions about this, as there are lot of hoops they would have to jump through with Canada clarifying their demands for this AK cruising season.   Hopefully, they will release information soon.   

And I hope you have a great couple of cruises! 🙂

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ADunk said:

I was thinking that Canada would have just adapted similar rules to the CDC guidance for cruising.

Hopefully the US will make the exception for Alaska sailings but for our Oasis Canada cruise, we may be straight out of luck. For what is worth to speculate, I wonder if they will readjust the the cruises before ours to extend it to 6 or 7 nights and make a run to the Bahamas? 

Bermuda's channel is too small and a tender wouldnt be feasible. Hoping they don't cancel us (we need this to help us hit Diamond by end of year)

I really don’t think they will be changing the cruises.  Why would they change to accommodate the small number who have an issue with the vaccines or when they need to be tested? 

• Like 2

Personally, I think the rules suck.  Even the inconvenience of having to test 24 hours before embarkation is ridiculous, especially for my cruise which departs From Seattle and only has a 5 hour technical stop in Victoria. It adds an extra layer of anxiety that is completely worthless.  Those 5 hours are right over the dining time... 5pm to 10pm. Also, having to line up for a test on day 6 just so the cruise ship can fulfill the obligation of PVSA all for a 5 hour stop. Having to download the ArriveCan app and allowing the Canadian government to track you and harvest who knows what kind of data all for a 5 hour stop.  It's all such a joke.  I probably wouldn't have even gotten off the ship. Such an inconvenience for no benefit at all.  I really hope that congress carves out another year of bypassing Canada or even better eliminate the need for Canada all together.  

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Even the inconvenience of having to test 24 hours before embarkation is ridiculous, especially for my cruise which departs From Seattle and only has a 5 hour technical stop in Victoria. It adds an extra layer of anxiety that is completely worthless.

I agree. I have an August trip and am not planning to get off the ship in Victoria (to be fair, I live in the Northwest and have been there). I'm willing to bet that if the US will suspend the rule that requires a Canada stop on these trips - at least the Seattle based ones - that they will skip Victoria. Having to test the entire ship for a five hour stop seems not cost effective and a huge hassle. Even just testing those who plan to leave the ship would be a chore.

4 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

I think our friends were hoping that the cruise would be moved to Seattle

I don't think that will be easy, or even possible. I think RC has about six sailings a month from Vancouver. I have read that the Seattle port is very full of scheduled sailings (all lines), so there many not even be room if they wanted to do this.