Holland America Line pop quiz

Copper10-8

In these sad times we're currently living in, I thought perhaps a HAL pop quiz would be appropriate, so here goes the 1st one

Where was the attached pic taken and which dam ship is located in the #4 position?

HAL ships.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

Veedam? Don't know the port.

That is in fact a HAL "S"-class ship in Mazatlan, Mexico, nice job! 🧐 It is, however, not the former Veendam, even prior to her Brazilian lift job to her rear end

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

In these sad times we're currently living in, I thought perhaps a HAL pop quiz would be appropriate, so here goes the 1st one

Where was the attached pic taken and which dam ship is located in the #4 position?

HAL ships.jpg

The only one with the hump after refit is Statendam I think. Having sailed on both Ryndam and Maasdam, I can safely say that this is not either of them.

Edited by Alphen

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Since all four (former) "S"-class ships have now been mentioned, the correct answer is that this is Ryndam, the #3 out of the 4-class "S" ships that is depicted in the Mazatlan aerial shot 

On a side note, what always catches my attention about older ships is how few balcony cabins there used to be. As with the Ryndam in your photo, only 2 decks of balcony cabins/suites. Compare that today with usually at least 5-6 decks or more on newer ships. Thanks for posting!

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Since all four (former) "S"-class ships have now been mentioned, the correct answer is that this is Ryndam, the #3 out of the 4-class "S" ships that is depicted in the Mazatlan aerial shot 

Ok, it looked so much different from when we last sailed her shortly before she was sold. The hump on the stern looked different, so I guessed the Statendam.

DSC01019.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

On a side note, what always catches my attention about older ships is how few balcony cabins there used to be. As with the Ryndam in your photo, only 2 decks of balcony cabins/suites. Compare that today with usually at least 5-6 decks or more on newer ships. Thanks for posting!

True that! If you look at the two HAL "N'-class ships (Nieuw Amsterdam III and Noordam III) that came on the scene before the "S"-class, you'll find no balconies at all. 

HAL NODM III #2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

True that! If you look at the two HAL "N'-class ships (Nieuw Amsterdam III and Noordam III) that came on the scene before the "S"-class, you'll find no balconies at all. 

HAL NODM III #2.jpg

Just how you look at it; there is one huge verandah, you are just sharing it with everyone else on the ship 😉

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

HAL NODM III #2.jpg

Wow! It almost looks like a battleship, lol. What was the guest capacity?

1 hour ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

Wow! It almost looks like a battleship, lol. What was the guest capacity?

Guest capacity was 1350 in 627 staterooms. They were nice ships with lots of art work, as is HAL's style. They were the last two ships, prior to Prinsendam's arrival in 2002, with open bridge wings

Holland America Line - Nieuw Amsterdam III (scrapped Alang, India 2019).jpg

• Thanks 1

This is a pic of HAL Nieuw Amsterdam IV first management team in July 2010, altough the 5th member of that team, the environmental officer, is missing 😉 There are two Deck/Nautical officers in this pic, the captain in front and his staff captain to his left. The Deck/Nautical Dept. on HAL is signified by a gold "circle" on top of the solid gold bands on the sleeves and shoulder boards. That "circle" has a name............what it that name?

HAL NADM IV Jul 2010 1st Management Team.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8

I cheated and called a friend.  Actually I called my Son-in-Law who is a Petty Officer 1st Class in the Royal Canadian Navy.

The executive curl, or the "Elliot's Eye", is the name given to the ring above a naval officer's gold lace or braid insignia. It originated with the Royal Navy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bdrcole said:

I cheated and called a friend.  Actually I called my Son-in-Law who is a Petty Officer 1st Class in the Royal Canadian Navy.

The executive curl, or the "Elliot's Eye", is the name given to the ring above a naval officer's gold lace or braid insignia. It originated with the Royal Navy.

Yes, that's all correct, nice job! Having said that, at HAL, the "circle/curl" is known by a third name and that is the "Nelson loop" ("Nelson ring" is a 4th name) named after Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson, the British commander of naval forces in the Napoleonic wars. 

And please thank your son-in-law for his service to his country! Go Navy! Beat Army! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

That is in fact a HAL "S"-class ship in Mazatlan, Mexico, nice job! 🧐 It is, however, not the former Veendam, even prior to her Brazilian lift job to her rear end

19 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

My good man, I have to disagree with you.  That is the Veendam after her refit.  Notice the small overhanging area at the stern and that the pool has been replaced with wading areas.  I love the S class and feel I know them well!

• Like 4

On 3/7/2022 at 6:56 PM, TwinMommyByGrace said:

Veedam? Don't know the port.

9 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

My good man, I have to disagree with you.  That is the Veendam after her refit.  Notice the small overhanging area at the stern and that the pool has been replaced with wading areas.  I love the S class and feel I know them well!

By Jove! I blew it up and you are correct, Pete, and so is TwinMommyByGrace who had the correct answer! I was given the pic and told it was Ryndam however, as you so rightfully pointed out, that so-called "wading pool" gives it away! 30 push-ups coming up as I sit corrected in solemn reflection! 😬  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, that's all correct, nice job! Having said that, at HAL, the "circle/curl" is known by a third name and that is the "Nelson loop" ("Nelson ring" is a 4th name) named after Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson, the British commander of naval forces in the Napoleonic wars. 

And please thank your son-in-law for his service to his country! Go Navy! Beat Army! 

Hey now John... go ARMY!! Beat Navy!!

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is a pic of HAL Nieuw Amsterdam IV first management team in July 2010, altough the 5th member of that team, the environmental officer, is missing 😉 There are two Deck/Nautical officers in this pic, the captain in front and his staff captain to his left. The Deck/Nautical Dept. on HAL is signified by a gold "circle" on top of the solid gold bands on the sleeves and shoulder boards. That "circle" has a name............what it that name?

HAL NADM IV Jul 2010 1st Management Team.jpg

Captain Van Zaane uit Den Haag.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Go Navy! Beat Army! 

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hey now John... go ARMY!! Beat Navy!!

I'll have to join John on this one --- Go NAVY, beat Army!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Alphen said:

Just how you look at it; there is one huge verandah, you are just sharing it with everyone else on the ship 😉

From my first HAL blog, 2011 Transatlantic on MS Rotterdam:

I love my 1500-foot veranda, just steps away from my cabin, which runs all the way around the ship. Yes, I share it with everyone else on the ship, but I learned how to do that back in Kindergarten.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1