Testing Requirements for European Cruises?

5 hours ago, kw1816 said:

And would be interesting to see the reverse, how many people are currently willing to travel from Europe to North America to sail with the pre boarding requirements ? 

This was a primary consideration in our decision to put off a long-awaited stay+cruise out of New York until next year.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kw1816 said:

And would be interesting to see the reverse, how many people are currently willing to travel from Europe to North America to sail with the pre boarding requirements ? 

Speaking as someone currently on the Grandeur as a family, and having had 10 Covid tests to get here (and another 4 tomorrow to get off !). Due to fly back to the UK on Monday.

Hats off to you. We wouldn’t do it.

As it stands, if we can’t meet the testing requirements before we leave Ireland, we’ll be cancelling a B2B out of Barcelona. Family holidays and time off work are too precious to potentially waste it on an asymptomatic positive antigen test. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kw1816 said:

Speaking as someone currently on the Grandeur as a family, and having had 10 Covid tests to get here (and another 4 tomorrow to get off !). Due to fly back to the UK on Monday.

Duplicate 

Edited by Billy Baltic

9 hours ago, kw1816 said:

Lots of people from the German speaking RCI group on *the other social media site* are planning  Caribbean cruises this summer (or indeed, are already taking them). That said, testing is readily available here and usually free for an antigen test.

I’m booked on Freedom out of Miami June 6th 

Edited by BekkaW
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

It would be interesting to do a poll on this. How many people are willing to come from North America this summer to sail in Europe if a preboarding test is required in the 24 or 48 hours before. 

Not for us, we are canceling September on Wonder.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 4:47 AM, Billy Baltic said:

Testing before boarding is a waste of time.  All it does is indicate that you don't have a certain viral load at that point in time. It’s a veneer to give the impression of being ultra cautious. If cruise lines were really concerned about Covid there would be testing every day. 

Correct. Especially because of incubation periods. I do think they are concerned about Covid but they are also concerned for their bottom line, ultimately.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

It would be interesting to do a poll on this. How many people are willing to come from North America this summer to sail in Europe if a preboarding test is required in the 24 or 48 hours before. 

We are still open to doing so!  We are sailing Wonder in June from Barcelona.  I think the key is to arm yourself with information and NOT to rely on the cruise lines to provide all the information.  I've checked with our hotel in Barcelona and they provide onsite Rapid Antigen testing as well as RCCL will provide us (for a fee of course) the required testing, on board, for our return to the States 24 hours before disembarkment.  Our plans include a couple days in Barcelona ahead of cruising so, we will be diligent and continue with the same precautions we take here in the States.  I don't see the risk there, any more or less, than the risks when sailing from U.S. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I am... unfortunately I had a FCC that I have to use up so I really didn't have much choice.  However, if I do test positive and can't cruise then I will figure out a Plan B for my last week in Italy.  I don't think it would be catastrophic if I couldn't board the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mchin said:

We are still open to doing so!  We are sailing Wonder in June from Barcelona.  I think the key is to arm yourself with information and NOT to rely on the cruise lines to provide all the information.  I've checked with our hotel in Barcelona and they provide onsite Rapid Antigen testing as well as RCCL will provide us (for a fee of course) the required testing, on board, for our return to the States 24 hours before disembarkment.  Our plans include a couple days in Barcelona ahead of cruising so, we will be diligent and continue with the same precautions we take here in the States.  I don't see the risk there, any more or less, than the risks when sailing from U.S. 

Do you know how much RCCL is charging to test you on board? 

mchin,

With whom did you confirm that Royal will do testing on the Wonder for a fee on the day before disembarkation? That would take so much worry about where and when we can be tested. We are on B2B Odyssey sailings ( TA and Greek Islands) in April/May with disembarkation in Rome on 5/16. Day before we are at sea so our only option is to test at the airport before our flight at 12:30 on the 16th.Thanks for any information you might have.

Joanmarie

I am on the Wonder  TA   April  20- May 4th   Have you heard that  RCCL  will test us on  board the day before    May 3rd  so we can fly back to the United States.     I am very  frustrated  and anxious about this.   Thank you if you know any info.

5 hours ago, ILOVESHIPS said:

I am on the Wonder  TA   April  20- May 4th   Have you heard that  RCCL  will test us on  board the day before    May 3rd  so we can fly back to the United States.     I am very  frustrated  and anxious about this.   Thank you if you know any info.

They have not said they will, and I wouldn’t automatically assume they will.

It’s possible testing will be available at the pier in Barcelona straight after you disembark, either arranged by Royal or privately, otherwise there is definitely rapid testing available at BCN airport before you check in.

Whatever happens, I would strongly advise you and any other Americans flying home from cruises in Europe to have a contingency plan in case you test positive, can’t fly and have to spend several unintended days in a hotel waiting for the all clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AnonymousAllie said:

Has RCCL still not released testing reqs for Europe cruises? Their site still says TBD basically. Anyone booked with April/May cruise hear from them? Also- I assume it’s fine, but will they accept Pcr tests taken in the US if the departure port is in Europe?

We're sailing on the 7th of May and still have not heard.

I don't see why they wouldn't accept a pcr test done in the US.

14 hours ago, AnonymousAllie said:

Has RCCL still not released testing reqs for Europe cruises? Their site still says TBD basically. Anyone booked with April/May cruise hear from them? Also- I assume it’s fine, but will they accept Pcr tests taken in the US if the departure port is in Europe?

We are on Voyager, leaving out of Copenhagen on May 15.  Just received an e-mail from RCL, indicating we needed a test within 2 days of embarking.     On April 18, we leave out of Tampa for a TA, arriving in Barcelona on May 3.  We have to have a test within ONE day of embarking in Tampa. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CyberTag said:

Do you know how much RCCL is charging to test you on board? 

RCCL customer service said about $100 per test, but please don't take this as hard and fast.  I will sign up with guest services once on board and confirm the price.  Personally, I'm happy to pay the price, even if it's a bit more, just for the peace of mind of getting the test and not worrying about it as we are going directly from ship to airport on disembarkation day.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed it stays at 2 days before. Sailing from Southampton on Anthem on May 15th. Flying from Dublin early on the 14th. Hopefully a test on the 13th would cover us. Don’t want to land in the UK then find we can’t board if someone tests positive. 

12 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

They have not said they will, and I wouldn’t automatically assume they will.

It’s possible testing will be available at the pier in Barcelona straight after you disembark, either arranged by Royal or privately, otherwise there is definitely rapid testing available at BCN airport before you check in.

Whatever happens, I would strongly advise you and any other Americans flying home from cruises in Europe to have a contingency plan in case you test positive, can’t fly and have to spend several unintended days in a hotel waiting for the all clear.

So  there is testing at BCN Airport before you check your bags in?

1 hour ago, rew wellies said:

Fingers crossed it stays at 2 days before. Sailing from Southampton on Anthem on May 15th. Flying from Dublin early on the 14th. Hopefully a test on the 13th would cover us. Don’t want to land in the UK then find we can’t board if someone tests positive. 

You do not need any tests to enter the uk. Check the uk gov website for the latest travel requirements. Rcl may require some sort of pre boarding test

35 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

You do not need any tests to enter the uk. Check the uk gov website for the latest travel requirements. Rcl may require some sort of pre boarding test

I would rather test before we fly to the UK. If any of us are positive we wouldn’t bother travelling to Southampton. It would save us being stuck there with no cruise to get on. 

29 minutes ago, rew wellies said:

I would rather test before we fly to the UK. If any of us are positive we wouldn’t bother travelling to Southampton. It would save us being stuck there with no cruise to get on. 

I feel exactly the same. I'm hoping that if a test is necessary before our cruise out of Rome next month we'll be able to fit it in before we fly out there. 

In September 2023, my wife and I are flying to New York City for family birthday celebrations. In early, October we will fly from NYC to Amsterdam, The Netherlands for a week of sightseeing. Next, we take a train from Amsterdam to London for a couple of days of sightseeing. Following THAT, we will be taking another train (?) to Southampton for a couple of days before boarding Anthem of the Seas for a transatlantic to Bayonne, New Jersey. I expect a lot of stress if there is still testing required. We are soon to be double boosted for COVID.

Jim

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rew wellies said:

For me i would do the same. I have lat flow tests at home and will take one before i fly anywhere just to make sure

• Like 1