Anybody ever upgrade at the port?

cherylnj

I'm sailing on Meraviglia on March 27th. I sailing with my son and his fiance. We have 2 cabins booked. I received an upgrade email for one cabin but not the other, so I didn't bid. I was thinking of checking at the port if any YC cabins were available (right now there's a ton of unsold YC balconies). Would I ask at the terminal or once on board? 

51 minutes ago, cherylnj said:

I'm sailing on Meraviglia on March 27th. I sailing with my son and his fiance. We have 2 cabins booked. I received an upgrade email for one cabin but not the other, so I didn't bid. I was thinking of checking at the port if any YC cabins were available (right now there's a ton of unsold YC balconies). Would I ask at the terminal or once on board? 

I was wondering the same...mine is the only cruise I've not been emailed an offer on and it's one I would've bid on  .. oh well..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cherylnj said:

.....I was thinking of checking at the port if any YC cabins were available (right now there's a ton of unsold YC balconies). Would I ask at the terminal or once on board? 

Not gonna happen in YC, trust me! The unsold cabins will be allocated to the highest bidders pre-cruise.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

The ship's staff probably doesn't want to be bothered with that. They still have to keep some balcony cabins on one deck free in case COVID cases pop up (I doubt many do on a four day.)  They usually have a sign at the desk saying no cabins are available.

When we sailed, I reported numbers.  Think YC was only 60% full then last four days the upsells took place.  YC filled up but still was not anywhere near full.

The issue is you have two rooms.  Are you looking to go from two to one YC or two YC?   Normally for upsell, the solo pays double for upgrade.  At the end of the day, doubtful the non MSC staff at pier going to make that happen. 

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

When we sailed, I reported numbers.  Think YC was only 60% full then last four days the upsells took place.  YC filled up but still was not anywhere near full.

The issue is you have two rooms.  Are you looking to go from two to one YC or two YC?   Normally for upsell, the solo pays double for upgrade.  At the end of the day, doubtful the non MSC staff at pier going to make that happen. 

I'd be looking for 2 rooms. I'll check at the desk once we board and if it works out, great. If not, I can survive one cruise not in Yacht Club 😉

On 3/9/2022 at 4:11 PM, cherylnj said:

I was on Meraviglia in January and I overheard a man talking with the YC manager and he did offer him a YC room but it was full fare.

He stated it would have been cheaper to just book it prior. Manager replied he is correct and it's out of his control.

• Like 3