Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau

GloriaF

Trying to plan excursions.   Princess offers one for $50 that allows 3.5 hours total time, and I think we may prefer touring it on our own for a more relaxed visit.  I know from past travels that we tend to study exhibits in more depth and are slower than some.  So, I'm looking for options to/from Mendenhall.

City bus drops passemgers 1.5 miles from the visitors center, and I want to save my walking time (somewhat limited) for exploring trails, etc.    Does anyone have experience in using a taxi both directions?   Are taxis readily available from the cruise dock to the visitor center, and for the return to the ship?   TIA 

Edited by GloriaF

23 minutes ago, dfilpus said:

We rented a car for the day in Juneau. It got us to Mendenhall before the excursions arrived. We went all over Juneau and Douglas Island.

That sounds like fun!  Do you happen to remember the company and cost of the car rental?  I've tried to search but end up getting confused.

Edited by GloriaF

55 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

That sounds like fun!  Do you happen to remember the company and cost of the car rental?  I've tried to search but end up getting confused.

Avis Alaska https://www.avisalaska.com

The Avis office was near the AJ Dock, about a mile walk from the main docks.

It was about $125 for the day.

• Like 1

I was planning for us to try the "Big blue bus" in Juneau.   I have seen some YouTube videos showing people buying tickets for $45.00, the bus runs every half hour, which hopefully will give us the flexibility to see what we want to see in around Mendenhall.

I am not sure about rental car prices, but my experience in the last year or so is that prices are quite high.

If anyone has used the Big Blue Bus, please write back here.

• Like 1

Just purchased tickets from a kiosk at the dock once we completed our hike to the top of Mt Roberts. No issues, easy to use, and the drop you off right next to the visitor center.

Can't remember but $40-$50 range.

• Like 1

Mount Roberts Tram website:

Goldbelt Tram Alaska - Welcome to the only tramway in southeast Alaska

Tickets purchased in advance maybe at a discount ?

Some Cruise lines (NCL) offer a combo Mendenhall and Mt. Roberts tram excursion -

a bargain deal just make sure it works with your port time and you are healthy to take

in all the activity (hiking walking etc.)

If your ship docks at the "AJ" pier allow a few extra minutes for this not so central location.

"AJ" pier Green image "A" below

image.png.4510447d5f058fd4e5238038f3d5af62.png

I just searched Avis Alaska via the link provided by dfilpus (Thank You!) but the lowest price was $252.  Guess we'll be sticking with the shuttle bus.  If the price was just a little more than the bus fare of $90 for the two of us, it would be doable.  

Economy
 5 Passengers   Automatic  Airconditioning
+ more information
USD 252.18

23 hours ago, GloriaF said:

Trying to plan excursions.   Princess offers one for $50 that allows 3.5 hours total time, and I think we may prefer touring it on our own for a more relaxed visit.  I know from past travels that we tend to study exhibits in more depth and are slower than some.  So, I'm looking for options to/from Mendenhall.

City bus drops passemgers 1.5 miles from the visitors center, and I want to save my walking time (somewhat limited) for exploring trails, etc.    Does anyone have experience in using a taxi both directions?   Are taxis readily available from the cruise dock to the visitor center, and for the return to the ship?   TIA 

We used one of the services right at the pier, The Big Blue Bus. If you have a national park pass, they might offer you a small discount. They told where their pick up place was and the times that they returned. We were able to take our time and explore.

20 hours ago, rotoal said:

I was planning for us to try the "Big blue bus" in Juneau.   I have seen some YouTube videos showing people buying tickets for $45.00, the bus runs every half hour, which hopefully will give us the flexibility to see what we want to see in around Mendenhall.

I am not sure about rental car prices, but my experience in the last year or so is that prices are quite high.

We used The Big Blue Bus in September. If you have a national park pass take it, they gave us $5 each discount.

33 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

I just searched Avis Alaska via the link provided by dfilpus (Thank You!) but the lowest price was $252.  Guess we'll be sticking with the shuttle bus.  If the price was just a little more than the bus fare of $90 for the two of us, it would be doable.  

Economy
 5 Passengers   Automatic  Airconditioning
+ more information
USD 252.18

I was looking into Turo, but after fees and insurance, we were getting close to $200 and I just couldn't legitimize it either.  I set up an alert with AutoSlash just in case prices come down with the normal car rental companies, but I'm not overly hopeful.

1 hour ago, cal56girl said:

We used The Big Blue Bus in September. If you have a national park pass take it, they gave us $5 each discount.

Thank you very much.   Looking forward to having a flexible day in Juneau.

3 hours ago, rotoal said:

Thank you very much.   Looking forward to having a flexible day in Juneau.

That’s exactly what we did. It was cloudy and rainy so going up on the tram was not a good idea.  We had been to Mendenhall twice before and had been to  visitor’s’ center so this time we walked out to Nugget Falls. The path is easily walkable and somewhat paved most of the way. 

On 3/10/2022 at 4:16 PM, Northern Aurora said:

In Juneau there will be kiosks on the pier offering excursions, including shuttle service to Mendenhall.  We've never taken any of the shuttles, but it may be more cost effective to rent a car for the day.

We've used that shuttle service--a great service!

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 1:22 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

Mount Roberts Tram website:

Goldbelt Tram Alaska - Welcome to the only tramway in southeast Alaska

Tickets purchased in advance maybe at a discount ?

Some Cruise lines (NCL) offer a combo Mendenhall and Mt. Roberts tram excursion -

a bargain deal just make sure it works with your port time and you are healthy to take

in all the activity (hiking walking etc.)

If your ship docks at the "AJ" pier allow a few extra minutes for this not so central location.

"AJ" pier Green image "A" below

Edited by BarbinMich
duplicate response by me

If taking the Big Blue Buss in Juneau to Mendenhall, do we need to pre buy our tickets so will have reserved a spot or can we purchase when we arrive?   Also, is it difficult to find a seat on the bus??

17 minutes ago, In Toronto said:

Where is the trail to Nugget Falls?   How long a walk is it?

Google Map LINK:

Google Maps

From the visitor center bottom of image (map) follow the faint line along the waters

edge to Nugget Falls (top of image)

It is not the elongated lines on top of the green forested area to the right.

Round trip without undo delay allowing for photo opts - about an hour.

The easy to walk trail is across rough gravel terrain not suitable for HC wheeled vehicles.

The immediate walk in front of the visitor center is OK for those HC vehicles.

13 hours ago, In Toronto said:

Where is the trail to Nugget Falls?   How long a walk is it?

The trail to Nugget Falls starts just beyond the visitor center. It’s an easy flat hike - you need to allow at least an hour for the walk there and back. But it’s so worth it. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 4:32 PM, rotoal said:

We used the blue bus when we did Alaska a few years ago and planning to use it again now we don't have to have a ship-purchased excursion