IS THERE ANY CRUISE LINE WITH NO CHAIR HOGS ?

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This is may or may not tie in with inconsiderate chair hogs as well:

Not required BUT "Why you should always dress when you go out to eat. Yes, it still matters. By Sam Dangremond, Town & Country. John Winterman, who used to work for Daniel Boulud as maître d' at Daniel, and for Charlie Trotter before that, and asked if he thinks dressing up for dinner still matters."
"Absolutely," said Winterman, who's now managing partner at Batârd in New York City. "I break it down into self-respect and respect for others." Would someone's appearance affect the table they were assigned at, say, Daniel?
"On the record, yes," he said. "If someone comes in making an effort and looking fabulous and glamorous and they know they're in for a premium experience at a premium price, you give them a fabulous table in the middle of the room. And people react to that, when they see a crowd that's well-dressed and beautiful and sparkling."

It is generally accepted in a number of contexts that what people wear influences their mind-set and conduct—- many corporations have dress codes, as have many private schools (and public schools in some places), as (obviously) have military organizations, and private clubs, even  the US Supreme Court has a dress code .

If an organization wishes to encourage an atmosphere of courtesy and civility, adopting a dress code is a primary step:  the old concept of “you are what you eat” is widely accepted —- and many organizations realize that it is also true that, at least to an extent, “you behave the way you look”.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, lissie said:

I don't get it either. I'm  light skinned and have  a family history of melanoma - if the pool doesn't have shade I swim in a long sleeved rash vest and board shorts. I love the pool and will swim at 2x a day in warm weather on a sea day - but I don't need a lounger - if there  is no one handy I'll just drop my gear in corner on the deck. I never sit near the pool as it rarely has shade. On our one cruise (pre Covid  - full ship) - there was NEVER a problem getting multiple loungers next to the pools. The ship was probably 80% plus Australians so - maybe  that's the trick - go on a cruise in Australia or NZ where we are somewhat more aware of the risks of sunbathing 

I have the same issue and exposure.   Sitting out in the sun on purpose is not my cup of tea.  The "invention" of UPF hats/clothing is wonderful.  

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 5:58 AM, navybankerteacher said:

No - they said “…forced to dress formally for no reason at all.”  No mention of every night - just flat objection to formal dress .

They were responding to a comment -- Context.   But no worries, I understand you want dress codes and that is fine.   

On 3/16/2022 at 7:39 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

This is may or may not tie in with inconsiderate chair hogs as well:

Not required BUT "Why you should always dress when you go out to eat. Yes, it still matters. By Sam Dangremond, Town & Country. John Winterman, who used to work for Daniel Boulud as maître d' at Daniel, and for Charlie Trotter before that, and asked if he thinks dressing up for dinner still matters."
"Absolutely," said Winterman, who's now managing partner at Batârd in New York City. "I break it down into self-respect and respect for others." Would someone's appearance affect the table they were assigned at, say, Daniel?
"On the record, yes," he said. "If someone comes in making an effort and looking fabulous and glamorous and they know they're in for a premium experience at a premium price, you give them a fabulous table in the middle of the room. And people react to that, when they see a crowd that's well-dressed and beautiful and sparkling."

I'm not sure I would enjoy a place so focused on appearances.  Seems kind of shallow in some ways.   But  then I don't think I will ever be accused of dressing to be "fabulous and glamorous".   

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 6:04 PM, donaldsc said:

I handle the people who get up early to claim a chair for the rest of the day by just moving their stuff to another location on the ship - sometimes far away from where they have left it.  If they come several hours later to claim their lounger, I just play dumb and say that I didn't see anything there when I got there and suggest that someone or maybe a crew member must have taken their stuff.  I also suggest that they might want to check in lost and found or with the pool attendant.  Works every time.

DON

I only had to do this once but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if needed. We moved their stuff (though not really far away) and we relaxed for about an hour and a half. NO ONE came during that time. I was all ready to play dumb. lol

10 hours ago, Longboysfan said:

The less than 1% ruin it for the others.

That frequently is the case in life. 

As far as chair hogs.  Move the pool to another deck.  That will fool them! 😀

29 minutes ago, ldubs said:

The we would have to move the buffet too! 

Not necessarily.There could be a pool buffet combo.Me ,for instance has never been in a pool on a ship.The last time I was in a pool was 1952.

The only time I am in the buffet on a ship is occasionally in the afternoon for oatmeal raisin cookies and ice cream.

53 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not necessarily.There could be a pool buffet combo.Me ,for instance has never been in a pool on a ship.The last time I was in a pool was 1952.

The only time I am in the buffet on a ship is occasionally in the afternoon for oatmeal raisin cookies and ice cream.

What? Never for chocolate chip cookies?

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

"oatmeal raisin cookies"

If I was forced to name just one, that would be my favorite.  

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

That would certainly improve that deck - but where the hell would you put them?

Tow it.  Like a big barge.  Then when the chair hogs come, but the cables.