Lunch at Turkish weaving institition

I am trying to organize a private Ephesus tour for 6 from the Kusadasi port. A couple of the tours include “free” lunch. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth it or just a high pressure tactic to buy a rug. I wouldn’t mind seeing how this is done but don’t want to waste time if it’s going to be a bad experience.

We’ve been to Ephesus several times,  I don’t like the mandatory tours, next there will be a leather factory.   Book a truly private tour and then You can decide what to see and do.   We had great luck with Levant Solmaz.

Edited by bennybear

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We’ve been to Ephesus several times,  I don’t like the mandatory tours, next there will be a leather factory.   Book a truly private tour and then You can decide what to see and do.   We had great luck with Levant Solmaz.

This one is private and we are able to plan on where to go and they did say we could opt out of the “free” lunch and pay for our own at a restaurant but was curious on what experience others have had.

Just now, ljvander said:

This one is private and we are able to plan on where to go and they did say we could opt out of the “free” lunch and pay for our own at a restaurant but was curious on what experience others have had.

Has anyone used EphesusTravelGuide.com? The reviews all look great.

Here's the unvarnished truth about most Kusadasi tours. (The guide mentioned by bennybear is an exception and there are probably others, but in general the below is accurate).

Most are run by the merchant associations of Kusadasi. One reason why they are such a "good deal" price-wise is that they insist on a certain amount of time spent at either a rug "factory", leather "factory" or ceramics "factory" as part of the tour. The guides are "incentivized" financially to get their tours to agree to at least one of these stops. 

Are they high pressure? Not really. But I find it very unpleasant to waste my time on a paid tour for a shopping stop. And they will keep you there for as long as any single person in your tour seems the least bit interested in buying something. Personally I think the leather factory is the worst of all because they make you suffer through a fashion show first (complete with catwalk) and then take you into the store to shop.... The carpet place is a close second. Any "educational" aspect is strictly perfunctory.

There is plenty of shopping in Kusadasi port right next to the ship where you are dropped off after your tour, including carpets, and you can shop at your leisure. Prices are no better or worse. I don't know why people put up with these tour stops, but most do.

I have arranged several private tours in Kusadasi, and I always specify NO tour stops. This generally either results in a slightly higher cost (I'm fine with that) or -- as you found -- no included lunch. And just by the way, there are absolutely DELIGHTFUL restaurants in Kusadasi as well, perfect for a late lunch after your tour and with better food.

As a heads up, I will also say that even after specifying NO tour stops, I've had guides argue with me when we start the day. I always go over the tour and the agreed stops. I've been told a) you agreed to stop there (no, I didn't), b) a stop at one of these 'factories' is educational and it is required by the Tourism board (no it isn't), or even c) one of your other tour members asked that we stop there (nope).

The worst behavior was one guide who took us to the leather factory anyway, despite my efforts. He literally would not leave the parking lot until we "at least went inside".  We all filed in, refused to sit for the "show", walked through the showroom in a line and then out the exit. The guide was just sitting down to have a smoke on the patio outside and was quite surprised to see us all walking out just minutes after we went in. 

🤣

I supposed one could just "grin and bear it", and that's one strategy. It's not terrible. But it does waste time. I go places to see the sites, not to spend my time in shops -- especially not in shops chosen by someone else who's getting a kickback.

• Like 1

@cruisemom42  excellent advice,   We have visited several times and toured on our own, on ships tours, on real tours and then once these pseudo tours.   We learned the hard way by accident  when we joined a tour a ship mate had set up,  the one with the leather catwalk and all!  Never again.  No comparison to a real one,  we so enjoyed our last one seeing Priene with no one else there, and then Miletus and Didyma.  

I have used Levant Solmaz twice in Ephesus. Just wonderful. For lunch we went to a little place where you go up and order from a counter and bring your food to the table. Lots of choices as opposed to a set menu,  quick, and you choose your meal and pay accordingly. It's been some time but, as a group that felt lunch was just a necessary time suck, it was perfect. 

16 hours ago, ljvander said:

Thanks for all the advice. I have been told by this company that we can choose to do lunch on our own if we choose. I’m like all of you, I don’t want my time wasted with “shopping”.

Yes, we are interested in a private tour.  I'm not sure if the previous post I posted will be seen. 

We would agree with the other comments about the "marketing" hassles involved with many excursions and private tours.  So what to do?  We have been to Turkey enough that we are pretty comfortable doing our own thing (we have even gone out to Ephesus using the local bus/vans).  But on our last visit we decided to hire a well versed professional guide for just ourselves.  We used EKOL and specified that we wanted a guide that really understood the ruins and history (this was our 4th visit).   When we met our guide at the port we made it clear that we did not want to make any stops at rug factories, jewelry factories, etc.  We had a fabulous day and avoided all that marketing stuff.  When we returned to the city around mid-afternoon we simply went shopping and had a great time.

There are horror stories of tour groups being locked inside large jewelry factories (this happened to us about thirty years ago on our first visit), pottery places, rug stores, etc.  In fact, it was that first visit (from a Princess cruise) that completely turned us against cruise line excursions.   Cruisers do not want to accept that cruisers are viewed as "easy marks" in many parts of the world and companies do take advantage.  The entire Diamonds International, Tanzanite International, etc. empire is targeted specifically at cruisers because they are easy!  In Turkey, if on your own, it can be a lot of fun to play the game and "negotiate" with shops/stands....but do it on your terms..not on a packaged tour where the tour company either owns a piece of the shop or gets a kickback on every sale!

We now live in a cruise port (for part of the year) where we understand there are various prices for various groups and the highest prices are often reserved for cruisers.   In fact, when I am shopping or grabbing a taxi in that city and the price is too high I will sometimes say, "I am not a cruiser so please give me the proper price."

Hank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On our stop in Kusadasi we did a private tour to a weaving factory,  had lunch & showed us how they made the silk thread & they watched a carpet display. Lunch was excellent and carpet weaving & silk thread making very interesting & informative.

DSC_0531 (2).JPG

DSC_0537 (2).JPG

DSC_0542 (2).JPG

DSC_0551 (2).JPG

DSC_0563.JPG