Dog at Dining Table & Skunk Pot on Balcony common issues?

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

The dog in lap lady should have had sense enough to ask for a table for 2. Why should it be the problem of others. Ask for the head waiter and get Spot and Momma moved. 

How do you know the dog in lap lady wasn't at a table for 2?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

What a bunch of Karen's and busy bodies y'all are....

Not a fan of weed smoke, but unless the dog peed on your shoes, it's really none of your business. 

As someone who is allergic to dogs, yes, having dogs around me is my business. I don't mind moving to accommodate service dogs, but a dog that can't control it's bladder is not a service dog. 

• Like 5

Smoking anything on a ship's balcony is a fire hazard for the entire ship.  Having to share a table with a person whose dog may or may not be a true service animal, but is treated as a pampered pet around other people's food can be off-putting.  Unless the 'service animal' is menacing, or causes physical harm, there isn't much that the ship can do about its behavior (or that of the owners').

If a CCer wants to share and/or vent, then that's okay - we are suppose to be here for each other.

• Like 6

Thanks for your opinions. 

We were supposed to be on Anthem Jan 30 cruise but cancelled a few days before a blizzard and flew to Florida instead.  We enjoy cruising from NY in January on 11 or 12 day cruises, but now we will rethink it.  At least if we are frustrated on a short cruise, it is over quickly.    With more and more animals  onboard,  Cruising may not be as appealing for us. 

I wonder if we can call cruise lines and ask if any service animals will be onboard a few days before sailing.   Our granddaughter was terrified of dogs until she was about 12.  Finally getting over it.  Our other granddaughter and her Mom have dog allergy as well as other animal allergies.  Everyone has their issues.   

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Was it a tea cup yorkie in a dress?  That dog is on Anthem a bunch.  Can be seen in a stroller with a blanket over it like you would for a little baby.  Can also be seen sitting on a lounge chair in the Solarium.

If the dog is in the Solarium - I hope it is over 16 years old!

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Obvious solution.  I don't want to dine with a dog.  If a dog is present, I ask to be seated elsewhere.  If a dog is seated after I start a meal, I inform the waiter I'll be back later, and leave the table.  It's my choice not to dine with dogs.  I cannot ask staff to change other guest's conduct to suit my foibles.  Animal feces or urine on the deck, or odors from smoking problems are something I'll avoid if I can, and report appropriately if I can't.  Why should I lose my peace when simply going elsewhere is so easy.

• Like 9

You can't put restrictions on service dogs.  Emotional support animals you can ban or do whatever you want to there is no legal protection but a service dog and its owner can NOT be restricted on any ship or flight leaving or landing in the USA.  

If you have a service dog you can go to anywhere the public is allowed, a movie theater, a 4* restaurant anywhere.  Of course with all things there are limits, the dog can not be barking, growling or baring its teeth in a threating manner.  

You can not ask the owner what their disability is, nor can you ask for the dog to demonstrate its training.  Yes this can, and is often abused.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King10Sooted said:

I don't see how either of these things are a big deal. Why do people look for problems on vacation? Lol

People smoking weed on their balcony will drive everyone around them from their balconies.  That is a 'big deal' and needs to be addressed.  You have the right to enjoy your balcony in a fashion that does not infringe upon the rest of the guests.  Not to mention its a fire hazard.  This isn't an argument about pot being legal or not, its not allowed on the balcony, ever.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Not necessarily.  Service dogs that are trained for diabetes are typically held by the person, so that the dog can smell the person's breath.

As someone who has been a Type 1 Diabetic for the last 30 years, I have only ever seen one service dog for a diabetic and that was probably 20 years ago and was a Golden Retriever, not a lap dog. In today's age with the technology advancements with CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitoring), the need to have a dog smell our breath is really unnecessary. While I get the point you are trying to make, very rarely do you see smaller service dogs. The vast majority are mid to large breeds.

Now where I really disagree with the OP is on the matter of setting set times and places for those with service animals. True service animals are allowed everywhere at anytime. Where the problem comes into this is all the people who abuse the "service animal" designation. I believe why some people really get upset with those who abuse this is because dogs are generally not allowed onboard. If we can't bring our big dogs, why should people who lie about the service designation of their dog be able to bring their small dogs?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, poocher said:

I thought businesses were allowed to ask what service the dog was trained to perform?  

15 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Nope.  That's essentially asking what the person's disability is.

Poocher is correct.  From the ADA Requirements: Service Animals   https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm 

• When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why so invested to make your point that will have no impact on a current situation?

You can’t change people or their behavior. You can only control yourself and your surrounding. Sometimes you have to walk away or switch tables/rooms to control your surrounding. Policing the public will only lead to frustration and anxiety. 

PS I own a GSD and a well trained dog is a good dog. Bad owners are the reason for bad dogs. I hope you litigated the owner’s insurance policy for the injuries your son endured. I’m sure it was a traumatic experience.