Wonder if the Seas - Beware - No WiFi Calling

17 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

I was not misinformed... Apperently it is only an Android issue with unlocked phones and AT&T. 

You said: "AT&T Blocks Wi-Fi Calling on most if not all of the unlocked phones using their service!" That is what you were misinformed about. Also in the US Android phones are a minority so most unlocked phones are not blocked. 

AT&T policy with Android unlocked phones is outrageous in my opinion. If I was an Android user I would switch to T-Mobile or Verizion or one of the MVNO's.

Edited by Charles4515

9 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Funny,  i have a friend who sells it and its actually a good deal if you drive older cars……

Care to post their contact details?

I know a lot of people that would love to provide feedback on the phone sales approach 🤣

8 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Funny,  i have a friend who sells it and its actually a good deal if you drive older cars……

The warranties they call over the phone about are probably not what your friend is selling. 

If you take care of your older car you don't need them. Had a 14 year old car until a year and a half ago and only spent repairs on windshield wipers, a new battery and replaced tires, oil changes. 

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Care to post their contact details?

I know a lot of people that would love to provide feedback on the phone sales approach 🤣

They bombard my postal mail box too. Those phone calls are scams. If you buy from them good luck on getting reimbursed. If  you think you need a car warranty don't buy from the phone callers.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, resetjet said:

On average extended warranties pay out 14¢ on the dollar, the rest goes to commissions and profit.  Same for travel insurance.  IMO insurance it to limit risk,  not to come out ahead.  Statistically speaking, they are not a good deal but it will work out for some.

Huh. My AT&T phone is unlocked and Android, and had no problem with wifi calling.... but.... I'd enabled wifi calling long before getting on a ship.

Because of 911 capability, there are some prerequisites for enabling wifi calling and disabling or setting a default 911 location since wifi calling doesn't behave the same for 911.

14 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Huh. My AT&T phone is unlocked and Android, and had no problem with wifi calling.... but.... I'd enabled wifi calling long before getting on a ship.

Because of 911 capability, there are some prerequisites for enabling wifi calling and disabling or setting a default 911 location since wifi calling doesn't behave the same for 911.

Could it be plan dependent? Only on some plans.

I always test it at home before a cruise. I had a few os updates where it somehow got turned off although now on my iphone if it is off it now asks if I want to enable it if it is off. Seems now to have an AI that recalls that you had it enabled.  Also I get a new phone every year. When I transfer my stuff from the old phone to the new one it is off by default and I have to set it up again. 

Edited by Charles4515

58 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You said: "AT&T Blocks Wi-Fi Calling on most if not all of the unlocked phones using their service!" That is what you were misinformed about. Also in the US Android phones are a minority so most unlocked phones are not blocked. 

AT&T policy with Android unlocked phones is outrageous in my opinion. If I was an Android user I would switch to T-Mobile or Verizion or one of the MVNO's.

It is not worth switching to another provider to pay almost double what I pay with AT&T... That and T-Mo and VZW have lousy reception where I live. 

I am not sure AT&T is the only carrier that blocks the WiFi calling on unlocked phones 

32 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

It is not worth switching to another provider to pay almost double what I pay with AT&T... That and T-Mo and VZW have lousy reception where I live. 

I am not sure AT&T is the only carrier that blocks the WiFi calling on unlocked phones 

Yes, you are right. That is why I would not switch. Verizon would cost me more and T-Mobile is lousy where I live. I tested it on my iPad in my apartment. In addition I only made a few call on a cruise because I could. I did not really need to. I made quite a few long  FaceTime calls on my last Celebrity cruise because my sister and husband were onboard and got a virus. Their daughter appriciated seeng them for reassurance. 

Edited by Charles4515

I am not sure what services they are blocking, but apparently its not all.  It was working on symphony yesterday android AT&T using a google voice number.  I assume you can use a voip app and just forward your cell to it to get around the issue.  Google voice, magicjack, there are a million.  This assumes they are just blocking AT&T wifi calling.

5 hours ago, resetjet said:

I am not sure what services they are blocking, but apparently its not all.  It was working on symphony yesterday android AT&T using a google voice number.  I assume you can use a voip app and just forward your cell to it to get around the issue.  Google voice, magicjack, there are a million.  This assumes they are just blocking AT&T wifi calling.

I’m sure it probably works on other RCI ships and always has for me. It’s just this one, the Wonder of the Seas. Another officer told me today that the problem evolves around the fact this ship was going to Asia and then was changed to Caribbean and Europe and the contacts were developed for that area and not this one. They’re working on them, I’m told. Now before I get blasted with that is nonsense I’m just relying what I was told. It is not just AT&T but the room across from me has Verizon and it don’t work for him.

17 minutes ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

I’m sure it probably works on other RCI ships and always has for me. It’s just this one, the Wonder of the Seas. Another officer told me today that the problem evolves around the fact this ship was going to Asia and then was changed to Caribbean and Europe and the contacts were developed for that area and not this one. They’re working on them, I’m told. Now before I get blasted with that is nonsense I’m just relying what I was told. It is not just AT&T but the room across from me has Verizon and it don’t work for him.

Asia, huh???  Celebrity has no plans for Asia until 2023 and it’s not a new plan it was announced months and months ago 

13 minutes ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

What they told you about contracts still makes no sense but they may be getting closer to the truth. The change from Asia. She was supposed to homeport in China. China does not allow WiFi Calling or any VoIP or VPN. So they may have had to block those homeporting in China. Reconfiguring the routers is to unblock possibly is not as simple as a home router. 

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Asia, huh???  Celebrity has no plans for Asia until 2023 and it’s not a new plan it was announced months and months ago 

Wonder of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean ship and was originally intended to homeport in Shnghai and Hong Kong. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

What they told you about contracts still makes no sense but they may be getting closer to the truth. The change from Asia. She was supposed to homeport in China. China does not allow WiFi Calling or any VoIP or VPN. So they may have had to block those homeporting in China. Reconfiguring the routers is to unblock possibly is not as simple as a home router. 

I think this comment I got is closest to the truth as you say. Got to find the right guy with the best answer. BL is right now no WiFi calling. Looking at work arounds. 

Edited by DeputyDawg46

My notes:

Wifi calling worked 50% of the time on Anthem of the Seas in December 2021.

Wifi calling worked 85% of the time on Symphony of the Seas in March 2022.

I have an unlocked Motorola Android phone.  Same phone for both cruises.

For the networks I manage, I use the same equipment and keep the configurations as similar as possible.  I wonder how vastly different the equipment and configurations are from ship to ship.

On 3/12/2022 at 2:45 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Though a series of mergers in the past I ended up with AT&T. But I am starting to think it is time to look elsewhere for cell service.

I was with AT&T for many years.

I tried T-Mobile, liked it, switched, and haven't looked back.  

If you travel internationally, you cannot beat T-Mobile.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2022 at 9:15 AM, John&LaLa said:

Back in the day, Verizon was hands down the best in DC. They were the only carrier with coverage in the Metro tunnels. 😉

Yeap, I remember those days.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You don't have let them know anymore. AT&T roams well in Europe now. 

In put T-Mobile on my cellular iPad to test the connection at my home. Unfortunately it won't connect. AT&T connects fine, I guess it has to as AT&T has a store 6 floors under me. I know Verizon connects here.

At what price?  T-Mobile is unlimited free texting.  Unlimited free 2G data (slow, but it works for tourist stuff), and 25 cents per minute calling.  But in Europe there are LOTS of free wifi hot spots to wifi call.

22 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

If you take care of your older car you don't need them. Had a 14 year old car until a year and a half ago and only spent repairs on windshield wipers, a new battery and replaced tires, oil changes. 

Why did you get rid of an almost new car??????? 😄 😄

My newest is coming up on 10 years old. My next newest is 20.  Then 21 and 27 (collector car).

22 hours ago, DeanD said:

On average extended warranties pay out 14¢ on the dollar, the rest goes to commissions and profit.  Same for travel insurance.  IMO insurance it to limit risk,  not to come out ahead.  Statistically speaking, they are not a good deal but it will work out for some.

That is the basis for insurance in general. 

Which is why, for travel insurance, I do not insure the cost of the trip.  Not a unexpected financial hit.