Wonder if the Seas - Beware - No WiFi Calling

17 hours ago, twangster said:

I’ve worked in the cellular industry.  No carrier is best everywhere.  It’s creative marketing you pay for with the big carriers.  So many affordable options that have great service too.  

Back in the day, Verizon was hands down the best in DC. They were the only carrier with coverage in the Metro tunnels. 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

AT&T Blocks Wi-Fi Calling on most if not all of the unlocked phones using their service! Why, I have no idea but I found that out the hardway one year... Sucks too because you can't but the larger internal memory unless you buy an unlocked phone. 

I had AT&T for two years, was the worse service ever.  My last two land vacations in Europe service was practically non-existent and I had let them know I would be travelling and to what countries.  TMobile, has been the best service I have ever had, very very few connection issues ever. 

14 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

I had the same issue with wifi calling on wonder last week.  Couldn’t make or receive calls on my iPhone, but was able to use iPad for wifi calling.  

However when we were in port , I did have some wifi calls come through on my phone.  

At least I know it wasn’t just me!

Thanks for authenticating what I’ve been saying. I have yet to find one person on this cruise that can use WiFi calling, no matter what the carrier is. Those being able to call either have a paid plan otherwise or are using an app. I haven’t tried the iPad although I don’t have service with it. 

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Back in the day, Verizon was hands down the best in DC. They were the only carrier with coverage in the Metro tunnels. 😉

Thats what most don’t understand.  Regional licenses on specific frequencies some that penetrate buildings and some that don’t.  But the allocated frequencies are all over the spectrum so one carrier is great over there but sucks somewhere else.  5G has the potential to be a great equalizer.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Thats what most don’t understand.  Regional licenses on specific frequencies some that penetrate buildings and some that don’t.  But the allocated frequencies are all over the spectrum so one carrier is great over there but sucks somewhere else.  5G has the potential to be a great equalizer.  

T-Mobile is great for us, but won't penetrate the radiant barrier in my roof. No biggie, Wi-Fi calling solves the problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

T-Mobile is great for us, but won't penetrate the radiant barrier in my roof. No biggie, Wi-Fi calling solves the problem.

TMo always worked great for me.  Tried switching back but they kept selling me phones they didn’t really have in stock and later changed to back order.  So I stuck with Spectrum. 

Carnival blocks all WiFi calling but a VPN gets around it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

AT&T Blocks Wi-Fi Calling on most if not all of the unlocked phones using their service! Why, I have no idea but I found that out the hardway one year... Sucks too because you can't but the larger internal memory unless you buy an unlocked phone. 

You are misinformed. I have an  unlocked iPhone on AT&T and WiFi calling is not blocked. I always buy my phone unlocked. I have been using WiFi calling on many cruises for years. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

They had an exclusive contract. All the carriers have service in the Metro tunnels now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You are misinformed. I have an  unlocked iPhone on AT&T and WiFi calling is not blocked. I always buy my phone unlocked. I have been using WiFi calling on many cruises for years. 

Would you mind telling your phone make and model? My unlocked Samsung S8 will not do wifi calling on AT&T.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I had AT&T for two years, was the worse service ever.  My last two land vacations in Europe service was practically non-existent and I had let them know I would be travelling and to what countries.  TMobile, has been the best service I have ever had, very very few connection issues ever. 

You don't have let them know anymore. AT&T roams well in Europe now. 

In put T-Mobile on my cellular iPad to test the connection at my home. Unfortunately it won't connect. AT&T connects fine, I guess it has to as AT&T has a store 6 floors under me. I know Verizon connects here.

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Would you mind telling your phone make and model? My unlocked Samsung S8 will not do wifi calling on AT&T.

My iPhone 13 pro has no problems with wifi calling, AT&T service.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

My iPhone 13 pro has no problems with wifi calling, AT&T service.

Thanks. I have heard it is an android issue and not a problem with IPhones. Apparently Apple has enough clout to keep AT&T in its place.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yes, iphone and that is the difference.

You have an older phone. I think from 2017. Have you looked into newer Android phones? WiFi calling was slower to roll out on Android phones. Having an old phone may be the issue. If AT&T is not enabling WiFi calling and the phone can technicaly do it I would switch to another carrier. WiFi calling comes in handy in many situations.Not only cruises. 

Edited by Charles4515

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My old S7 worked with wifi calling, but it was bought directly from AT&T. My wife's S7 bought unlocked did not.  

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You have an older phone. I think from 2017. Have you looked into newer Android phones? WiFi calling was slower to roll out on Android phones. Having an old phone may be the issue.

Possibly. I will actually be upgrading to the S22 shortly and will see what happens.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Because we all know phones like to call other phones when we are not using them?  Even if every guest brought two phones with them VoIP only uses bandwidth during a call and only when speaking.  Many cellular providers use voice detection to minimize bandwidth consumption.  

The bandwidth is closer to symmetric.  It's an industrial product, not a consumer satellite service.  

CocoCay lost it's O3b uplink during the pandemic.  They have a microwave through the Berry Islands for island needs when no ships are there. When ships arrive they connect to the pier and guests on Cococay use the ship satellite connection.

Why would it ever make sense to allocate half to upload?  That would just make the problem worse.

people calling a cell phone that is sitting in the room by itself is what i refer to.  I get 5 calls a day for an automobile warranty!!!  Times that by 1000 phones and it adds up.

Edited by resetjet
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Why would it ever make sense to allocate half to upload?  That would just make the problem worse.

people calling a cell phone that is sitting in the room by itself is what i refer to.  I get 5 calls a day for an automobile warranty!!!  Times that by 1000 phones and it adds up.

Only if you answer it and buy their warranty program 🤣

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I was not misinformed... Apperently it is only an Android issue with unlocked phones and AT&T. 

• Like 1