NCL raises gratuity fee - will RCI follow​⁉️​ More fee hikes on the horizon​⁉️​

29 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's funny, either people love it or hate it. I saw it in NYC when it first came out and I have to say, it wasn't my favorite of Broadway shows. I'm on Oasis next month and Cats is still the production show they feature. Oh well -- I'll be happy seeing the amplified ship and the new venues that were added during her dry dock. 

I saw the original too. Let's just say that if they forced prisoners in Federal prisons to watch a CATS production, civil liberty lawyers would be sue for cruel and unusual punishment. And that would be for the good version, not the RCL version! 😱

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Just a few days ago, NCL announced another gratuity increase (last one was March 2020)  $16 per day for inside, outside and balcony and $20 for suites. Since the cruise lines are looking for revenue streams from other sources than just fares, more fee hikes are probably coming down the pike. Will we see fees for entertainment venues? Charges for choice seats? Reserved loungers by pool? Fee for skating on ice rink?  Rock climbing? Flow rider? Zipline? Will they increase and enforce the corkage fee? Charge for pillow tops? I can see a la carte prices for just about anything and everything. The most annoying fee created, IMO, is the room service "convenience" fee which didn't exist in the past. What is the peskiest fee onboard now and what fees do you foresee in the future? 

But if this IS for "gratuities" then the cruise lines won't see any of the extra money, right?  It should go to the employees.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I don't have to, but I paid for it when I bought the season. So night as well attempt watching it. 

Isn't that what Custer said; "Hey, I've already paid for my Airbnb at Little Bighorn ...." 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But if this IS for "gratuities" then the cruise lines won't see any of the extra money, right?  It should go to the employees.  

In theory yes, it should go to the employees. We don't know exactly how they do it - if they give it all or keep a percentage as a "convenience" fee. Does the increase go to defray RCI's payroll costs? I much rather give the crew members cash directly. 

9 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I have a subscription to the Broadway tours. This season we have Cats. After not going the two times I was on Oasis I guess I'll find out what the fuss is about. 

I saw Cats and still don't understand the fuss.  

• 3 weeks later...

I've been posting for several months that my "spidey-sense" has been on medium-high alert about gratuities increasing.  I even asked an RCCL phone rep, and he said he'd heard some rumblings about it.

I proceeded to prepay all my gratuities on my bookings, just in case.  I'm going to pay the money anyway, so early doesn't really cause problems.  And, yes, they do refund them if you or RCCL cancel the cruise.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 3:24 PM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I wish they would start a program where you could pay for reserved pool deck loungers. That’s where I would definitely spend my money. I love to sit in the sun all day but the whole chair hog stress is obnoxious. My only NCL cruise was literally saved by the rental of a cabana in the adults only sun deck for the week. The rest of the pool deck was terrible. It was so nice not to have to get up early and be free to walk away and not be stressed about it. 

When I first started cruising, which was in the early 80's, my cruises were on Home Lines.  We paid a fee for the week to have a lounger on the pool deck.  It was reserved all week with our names on the back of the chair in a little holder.  

As soon as we came out and the pool attendant saw us, he'd bring towels to us.  I was really sorry to see that go when I realized how bad the chair hogs were.  

• Thanks 1