NCL raises gratuity fee - will RCI follow​⁉️​ More fee hikes on the horizon​⁉️​

Just a few days ago, NCL announced another gratuity increase (last one was March 2020)  $16 per day for inside, outside and balcony and $20 for suites. Since the cruise lines are looking for revenue streams from other sources than just fares, more fee hikes are probably coming down the pike. Will we see fees for entertainment venues? Charges for choice seats? Reserved loungers by pool? Fee for skating on ice rink?  Rock climbing? Flow rider? Zipline? Will they increase and enforce the corkage fee? Charge for pillow tops? I can see a la carte prices for just about anything and everything. The most annoying fee created, IMO, is the room service "convenience" fee which didn't exist in the past. What is the peskiest fee onboard now and what fees do you foresee in the future? 

What's the big deal about higher gratuities, or extra fees? Sure it's more money, but it also has that retro 70's feel to them. Sure there was double digit inflation and mortgage rates, but there was also Disco! 💃 Leisure suits! The Bee Gees! Elevator shoes! Bellbottoms! 😍 

Stop worrying about higher prices and pack your mood rings and your cheapest polyester suit or pantsuit for your next cruise and boogie down baby.  Can you dig it?

Catch you on the flip-side. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

I don't think an increase in gratuities translates to other forms of revenue increases relative to the on board activities you cite, as gratuities are part of the crew's compensation and if anything, this is a way for them to receive more income.  That has nothing to do with generating more ship operating revenue from on board passenger activities.

And if, along with this, a cruise line should start charging for other passenger activities on board and this is not to your liking, you have the option to voice that by not cruising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

What's the big deal about higher gratuities, or extra fees? Sure it's more money, but it's also has that retro 70's feel to them. Sure there was double digit inflation and mortgage rates, but there was also Disco! 💃 Leisure suits! The Bee Gees! Elevator shoes! Bellbottoms! 😍 

Stop worrying about higher prices and pack your mood rings and your cheapest polyester suit or pantsuit for your next cruise and boogie down baby.  Can you dig it?

Catch you on the flip-side. 

Could they go back to the fares of the 70s as well in keeping with the mood?  And bring back this crew?

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 3.06.57 PM.png

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I don't think an increase in gratuities translates to other forms of revenue increases relative to the on board activities you cite, as gratuities are part of the crew's compensation and if anything, this is a way for them to receive more income.  That has nothing to do with generating more ship operating revenue from on board passenger activities.

And if, along with this, a cruise line should start charging for other passenger activities on board and this is not to your liking, you have the option to voice that by not cruising.

What I was alluding to is that fees might go up across the board and not only for gratuities but for other goods and services, as prices on land are trending up lately as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Royal already had the experiment with the “VIP” experience up-charge in the main theater, it was a flop and it went away. If anything like you mention comes up (I doubt it will) I can’t imagine the cruising public to go along quietly. 

Yet other fees have not gone away, e.g. room service (used to be free), the escape room (used to be free) etc. 

• Like 1

I wish they would start a program where you could pay for reserved pool deck loungers. That’s where I would definitely spend my money. I love to sit in the sun all day but the whole chair hog stress is obnoxious. My only NCL cruise was literally saved by the rental of a cabana in the adults only sun deck for the week. The rest of the pool deck was terrible. It was so nice not to have to get up early and be free to walk away and not be stressed about it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Could they go back to the fares of the 70s as well in keeping with the mood?  And bring back this crew?

Fares were actually higher back then, but it was pretty much all inclusive.  Yeah, you paid for drinks, but they were very cheap.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Could they go back to the fares of the 70s

I hope not. Adjusted for inflation, a porthole cabin with bunk beds in the 70s cost twice what a balcony costs today.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

What I was alluding to is that fees might go up across the board and not only for gratuities but for other goods and services, as prices on land are trending up lately as well. 

Well they certainly could.  But given the rather significant financial strain on the cruise lines (and all businesses) in recent times, the need to generate revenue is necessary - and understandable - to keep afloat (no pun intended).  But the risk is in how they do that, and adding fees for on board activities may result in a negative reaction with their market base.  I would think maybe a more likely way to generate immediate and greater amount of revenue would be with scaled fare increases as the market will bear once the return to cruising escalates.  Again, just as with any business, you risk driving your market base away if fares escalate to greatly.

Either way, as mentioned, we all have the choice to not cruise if the atmosphere becomes too distasteful.  But I for one would certainly hate to see this industry struggle - or fail - as a result of revenue shortfalls.  As long as it remains affordable, any increases will just have to be accepted as the cost of cruising, I guess.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I hope not. Adjusted for inflation, a porthole cabin with bunk beds in the 70s cost twice what a balcony costs today.

Wow I didn't realize that. I didn't cruise very much back then. I found this ad for cruises out of Hawaii in 1970 and they do seem quite high compared to today.

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 3.40.50 PM.png

Will the sunrise tomorrow?  Probably. 

Will there be increases in the cost of eggs, milk, butter, fruit, meat, cereal, toilet paper,  etc.?  Probably.  Will there increased cost to travel by car, plane, train and bus?  Probably.  Will cruise lines need to find ways to cover their increasing costs?  Probably.    

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Golly. I think somebody needs a nap. 

As pointed out, cruising costs far less in real dollars than it did 50 years ago (and even more recently than that) and, in many respects, offers greater value. 

I see no reason to believe that cruising costs will not go up in the near future. Their costs will go up, so our costs will go up. That's the way of the world. If you don't like it, don't cruise. That's also the way of the world. None of us are either required or entitled to cruise. 

As for gratuities, they should go up. With global inflation, the crew's pay needs to go up, too. The lines can accomplish that by raising gratuities or raising prices. I don't much care which path they take. I just look at the bottom line when deciding on a cruise. 

The other fees are fairly nominal and largely were instituted to control demand or abuse, especially that room service fee you mentioned. I know folks who used to order a Coke from room service just because they could, and then they wouldn't tip because it took 30 minutes to show up and was "only a Coke." So, they bog down the system, complain about the system being bogged down, and then stiff the poor guy who's dealing with all that. The fee for Johnny Rockets is another example of one that was more about controlling demand than raising revenue. 

I haven't been terribly annoyed with the fairly nominal fees that have come up over the years. That said, if I could snap my fingers and make any go away, I'd get rid of the fees for the simple fitness classes. I know they had to charge for pilates because they had to license it, but then the fees spread to something as simple as the "sunrise stretch" or whatever they call it. Even though I rarely go to those, it just never sat right with me. 

I guess making people pay for something that's already included in the fare might not go over so well.  But adding an activity or service that doesn't exist and charging for it might be a way of increasing revenue without much push back.

NCL charges for its race car track and laser tag arena. MSC tacks on a fee for their zip line and F1 simulator. Some cruise lines have bowling alleys that cost $40 for one hour. There are also art classes and glass blowing classes (Celebrity) that include a fee. Isn't the IFLY simulator paying after the first free ride? I could see some paying attractions added to some ships in the near future. 

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Coming soon!  CATS!  $110 on Broadway, $49.95 plus 18% gratuity on ship.  

I have a subscription to the Broadway tours. This season we have Cats. After not going the two times I was on Oasis I guess I'll find out what the fuss is about. 

31 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Wow I didn't realize that. I didn't cruise very much back then. I found this ad for cruises out of Hawaii in 1970 and they do seem quite high compared to today.

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 3.40.50 PM.png

$1240/pp (cheapest cabin on that cruise) would equal $8567/pp in today's dollars

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Wow and that was a four bunk cabin. Yes you're quite right we don't want those prices to come back ever!

Or those ships.  

As the ships got bigger and more numerous, prices dropped.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I have a subscription to the Broadway tours. This season we have Cats. After not going the two times I was on Oasis I guess I'll find out what the fuss is about. 

😱 NO!!!!!!!!

Save yourself - Turn away!

But if you have to go, we'll all be praying for you.🙏

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

😱 NO!!!!!!!!

Save yourself - Turn away!

But if you have to go, we'll all be praying for you.🙏

It's funny, either people love it or hate it. I saw it in NYC when it first came out and I have to say, it wasn't my favorite of Broadway shows. I'm on Oasis next month and Cats is still the production show they feature. Oh well -- I'll be happy seeing the amplified ship and the new venues that were added during her dry dock.