ArcticKitty Tackles Alaska - Carnival Splendor 02-10 May 2022- Trip Planning, Trip Report, & Mehhhhbe Some LIVE

arctickitty

32 minutes ago, chadci said:

What kind of music is played in Alaska on the ship? I can’t quite imagine the usual Caribbean calypso. 

Guessing that would be "Songs of the Humpback Whale" (couldn't resist that opportunity).

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Loving your photos and looking forward to more. Hope you are having a great cruise. 

@lazydayz

Welcome aboard!  There’s going to be so many photos.  We worked on cropping them while waiting for our first flight and also onboard it.  

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Are you off the ship now?

As of 9:50 in the morning…right before final call, I went for a walk after second breakfast and putted all 9 holes.

And back on Alaskan soil again, waiting for the connecting flight home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lukeca said:

Do they do the elegant nights on the Alaskan sailing?

They did 2 on my 8 night.  The first was on the second sea day at the beginning.  The second was on Ketchikan, which was 7am to 1pm.  My unscientific estimate is 1/3 to 1/2 of the ship dressed up the first night and maybe 1/10 to 1/4 dressed up the second night.  The second was much quieter and people seemed to be completely MIA.  We tried really hard to stay up late to help get adjusted to stay up late for Victoria and the ship seemed really quiet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chadci said:

What kind of music is played in Alaska on the ship? I can’t quite imagine the usual Caribbean calypso. 

I think I would characterize it as radio friendly middle American.  There was a violin duo that seemed to play pop, alternative, and rock, and never classical.  There was a signer/songwriter style duo (Lilli Duo) that was my favorite as I loved the vocalist’s voice.  There was another duo that I didn’t care for and then a solo singer/guitarist who was bleh (these folks seemed like they were half off key or something).  There was also Alter Idem, a cover band.  At night it seemed like there was live music everywhere after 5/6 pm.  But on sea days, they didn’t start earlier.  In general all the music groups played a lot of country, rock, and pop.  I recognized a lot of the pop and alternative and kept saying, “Hey, that’s another song amazon suggested I try” and people were always seen singing along to classic rock, country, 80s, etc.

Edited by arctickitty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

We really loved Andy Mercer as a Fun Squad member on Mardi Gras. You were on his first sailing on Splendor and I hope you liked him. Here he is trying to figure out a silly game called Walk the Plank. He was a riot.1B4491CD-B8ED-47BE-A049-462814578ECF.thumb.jpeg.311cc14294a3252488f83124948025fe.jpeg

We are definitely going to talk about Andy and his Carnival Splenda Family 🤣🤣🤣.  In time, in time.

• Thanks 1

And now for the blow by blow version of the cruise…

25CEDC56-B603-42E9-9178-1D4047FFDE4E.thumb.jpeg.1b12d023aee3b321b00da60188949664.jpeg

I had a very detailed last morning to-do list and it’s a very good thing I had that list.  Even thought I got up at 4am, time flew very quickly.  These are my babies eating their last wet food meal (until their cat sitter would come visit) not long before they had a crunchies buffet.

50D0E115-C6DC-41E1-8583-EE23E7E4A796.thumb.jpeg.c94d0f6cf08d43bfc08e8104b5ec2866.jpeg

The whole Fairbanks airport experience was seamless, despite us being low on coffee.  The only coffee option inside security is undergoing changes.  North Pole coffee is our favorite so I’m happy to see a little outpost coming soon.

3155E463-745E-47C1-99A6-78F9196E66C7.thumb.jpeg.f8afda2a3f2a428b06293f74b93c1df8.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arctickitty said:

I think I would characterize it as radio friendly middle American.  There was a violin duo that seemed to play pop, alternative, and rock, and never classical.  There was a signer/songwriter style duo (Lilli Duo) that was my favorite as I loved the vocalist’s voice.  There was another duo that I didn’t care for and then a solo singer/guitarist who was bleh (these folks seemed like they were half off key or something).  There was also Alter Idem, a cover band.  At night it seemed like there was live music everywhere after 5/6 pm.  But on sea days, they didn’t start earlier.  In general all the music groups played a lot of country, rock, and pop.  I recognized a lot of the pop and alternative and kept saying, “Hey, that’s another song amazon suggested I try” and people were always seen singing along to classic rock, country, 80s, etc.

Thank you! I've been curious about that for a long time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chadci said:

Thank you! I've been curious about that for a long time!

You’re welcome.  I forgot to mention Scott the piano bar entertainer.  He played whatever was requested; his crowd was mostly “older” people aka all the 50 year olds.

11 hours ago, arctickitty said:

We boarded for our final flight segment and then they stopped boarding due to a mechanical issue.  Now we have a guy in a safety vest taping the plane back together.

30C3BB4D-A570-45A6-AFC7-71F1D42B6E0D.thumb.jpeg.48cc199ab480b01c757ff90d60de3b19.jpeg

Duct Tape!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I usually do chronological with occasional seques. 

I think I’ll do chronological and pop out any special topics or questions that arise.  I realized that last night the idea is chronological seemed exhausting because I was…exhausted.  

• Haha 1