Warnemunde to Berlin? By train?

I'm sailing on the April 23 Baltic cruise on the Enchanted and we have a stop in Warnemunde from 7AM until 9 PM. Of course, Princess has an excursion that provides the train there and back but it's expensive. I was wondering if anyone here has braved the journey on their own.  A do it yourself ticket is only $40 round trip and the train station is steps from the ship. A bit tempting, if you ask me. I checked the timetable and there is a possible schedule that would actually allow 6+ hours in Berlin.

Not sure if this is the right forum but I guess it will be moved if it isn't.

We didn't go to Berlin so I can't answer your question but we stayed behind and had a down time day and really enjoyed the little town of Warnemunde.  Really cute little boardwalk type of area with shops and restaurants and we also went to the beach for a short time (although our visit was in August rather than April). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Unsure how much you would actually see of Berlin in a few hours on your own as you would need to travel aqround the city once you arrived and it is a very big and spread out city. We spent 4 days there and getting from A toB always took time and effort.

Should you decide against Berlin, this recent thread might be useful as several suggestions are made:

Edited by edinburgher

Whether I would take a trip to Berlin from Warnemünde will depend on what other major cities on the itinerary. I have not taken the train in connection with the cruise but several times taken the train to Berlin.  It's quite a pleasant ride - consider first class - a total of 5 hours by train.  The German Railways (DB) are efficient and punctual so I would not be nervous about delays with a reasonable margin for arrival at Warnemünde before cruise departure. It will be a busy day. Book at bahn.com.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can tell you that we did a Princess excursion by train from Warmunde to Berlin and it was one of the best excursions ever.  Princess really look after you on the train, loads of coffee etc. When in Berlin there are several 

sightseeing stops plus lovely lunch in good hotel.  Then there was free

time.  Train only a few steps away from ship and it was brilliant.  Well

worth the price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In 2018 I took a cruise that left from Warnemunde and took the train from Berlin to get there.  It was very easy to do and very cheap.  I agree with the above in that it might be hectic to get around as you will need to uber from the train station in Berlin.  It's definitely doable with some planning.

• Thanks 1

I did the cruise line's excursion train ride into Berlin years ago and do not regret it one bit.  Sure, you spend a lot of time on the train, but if you don't know if you'll ever get back to see Berlin, then I think it's worth it if seeing Berlin is something you want to do.  I believe we were in port for one more hour than the OP (the ship didn't leave until 10pm, I think).

I think the excursion train used at that time was inferior to the ones used by Deutch Bahn.  We had no air conditioning and had the windows open to let a little air in.  At one point on the way to Berlin, we encountered a blockage in the route.  We sat stopped for about 30 minutes and finally had to back the train up and take a different route.  We were taken to a train station that was not the central Hbf station and transferred to a bus which took us to a central hotel drop off point.  Then we were set free and told to return to the pickup location in 6 1/2 hours.  Then we did the reverse on the way back to the ship minus the blocked railway.

Doing this via public train would definitely have its advantage.  I suspect a better train would be used.  If you get off the train at Hbf, I don't think you need to necessarily use Uber or taxi to get to the sights.  I walked all over central Berlin and saw the major sites on foot.  According to the Man in Seat 61 website, the walk from Hbf to the Reichstag is 11 minutes and Brandenburg gate is 18 minutes.  Checkpoint Charlie is a little over 30 minutes walk.  I found walking on foot between these sites to be part of my adventure in a unique city.  However, if you prefer, you could use Uber, taxi or subway to get from place to place if you prefer.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

Ok here’s my take. I’ll give you some context, I spent a year living in Rostock in the 90s and have been back many times to visit friends. Have also spent a couple of long weekends in Berlin in the last 5 years and one of these times we got the train up to Rostock from hbf.

Personally I wouldn’t go to Berlin. The views from the train are obscured a lot by trees and you will only scrape the surface of Berlin in 6 hours. The thing is, Berlin is one of Europe’s great cities but it’s not the prettiest to walk around in. It’s all about the city’s role in different periods of modern history and to get the most of a visit, you need to spend time in museums/ different areas to absorb it all. The reason we visited two years in a row is that there was still so much we did not get to see first time round. While a lot of the sights are in Mitte, Berlin is actually quite spread out. Using the UBahn is the way to go. German public transport is cheap and efficient. You should never need to rely on taxis or Uber in Berlin. if you think this is the only opportunity you will ever have to visit Berlin then fair enough but IMHO it merits at least 5 days and shouldn’t be rushed in half a day. It’s our family’s favourite European city. 
You can easily spend a lovely day in Rostock and Warnemunde and it would be much more relaxing. Rostock centre has lots of different architectural styles and is very pretty. You can walk around the old town walls - a guide from the tourist info on university square will help with the route. The town also has a big maritime heritage. Warnemunde is a great place to stroll and soak up the seaside atmosphere and of course there’s the beach with its wide promenade and lighthouse. 

I hope this helps with your decision and enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

You can easily spend a lovely day in Rostock and Warnemunde and it would be much more relaxing. Rostock centre has lots of different architectural styles and is very pretty. You can walk around the old town walls - a guide from the tourist info on university square will help with the route. The town also has a big maritime heritage. Warnemunde is a great place to stroll and soak up the seaside atmosphere and of course there’s the beach with its wide promenade and lighthouse. 

This is what we did, figuring it would be more relaxing than a long train trip followed by a bus tour followed by more train time. We had a great time, saw a lot in both places, and were back on the ship in time for dinner - which was a German buffet and local band. I'd still love to see Berlin, but I agree - I'd like more time to explore and not spend time traveling.

6 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Doing this via public train would definitely have its advantage.  I suspect a better train would be used.  If you get off the train at Hbf, I don't think you need to necessarily use Uber or taxi to get to the sights.  I walked all over central Berlin and saw the major sites on foot.  According to the Man in Seat 61 website, the walk from Hbf to the Reichstag is 11 minutes and Brandenburg gate is 18 minutes.  Checkpoint Charlie is a little over 30 minutes walk.  I found walking on foot between these sites to be part of my adventure in a unique city.  However, if you prefer, you could use Uber, taxi or subway to get from place to place if you prefer.  

Thanks so much for your response. I think I'm going to do this. I've been to Berlin before on an extended stay but I would love to revisit the city, even if it's only for a few hours. And yes, we are doing some planning. I found a wonderful walking tour map that has an accompanying podcast that fills in all of the history. I should be fun.

4 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

reas to absorb it all. The reason we visited two years in a row is that there was still so much we did not get to see first time round. While a lot of the sights are in Mitte, Berlin is actually quite spread out. Using the UBahn is the way to go. German public transport is cheap and efficient. You should never need to rely on taxis or Uber in Berlin. if you think this is the only opportunity you will ever have to visit Berlin then fair enough but IMHO it merits at least 5 days and shouldn’t be rushed in half a day. It’s our family’s favourite European city. 

Thanks so much for your response. I have been to Berlin before for an extended stay, and yes, you are right, it's a wonderful city. Even with only a few hours, I wanted to revisit. I think I'm going to attempt the train. If I get nervous, I can always head back early.

The first time we went we did a free walking tour, which was brilliant. It left from just by the Brandenburg gate and was pretty comprehensive covering the main sights in the centre. I would also recommend visiting the Jewish quarter - again not too far from the centre.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t risk going independently. I know it’s wayyyyyyy less money, but when we heard about potential delays, we decided not to risk it and are so glad we went with Princess. Why? Our train was quite delayed coming back, and we would have missed the ship if it hadn’t been a Princess excursion. We mapped out a very intense itinerary for our day in Berlin and hoofed it all over. It ended up being one of my favorite days of the cruise. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, Scottishclover said:

Ok here’s my take. I’ll give you some context, I spent a year living in Rostock in the 90s and have been back many times to visit friends. Have also spent a couple of long weekends in Berlin in the last 5 years and one of these times we got the train up to Rostock from hbf.

Personally I wouldn’t go to Berlin. The views from the train are obscured a lot by trees and you will only scrape the surface of Berlin in 6 hours. The thing is, Berlin is one of Europe’s great cities but it’s not the prettiest to walk around in. It’s all about the city’s role in different periods of modern history and to get the most of a visit, you need to spend time in museums/ different areas to absorb it all. The reason we visited two years in a row is that there was still so much we did not get to see first time round. While a lot of the sights are in Mitte, Berlin is actually quite spread out. Using the UBahn is the way to go. German public transport is cheap and efficient. You should never need to rely on taxis or Uber in Berlin. if you think this is the only opportunity you will ever have to visit Berlin then fair enough but IMHO it merits at least 5 days and shouldn’t be rushed in half a day. It’s our family’s favourite European city. 

Another vote for charming Warnemunde and Rostock. We had a relaxing time and the train from Warnemunde to Rostock was within walking distance from the ship and took approx. 30 minutes to Rostock. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 7:10 PM, judithzuz said:

Thanks so much for your response. I think I'm going to do this. I've been to Berlin before on an extended stay but I would love to revisit the city, even if it's only for a few hours. And yes, we are doing some planning. I found a wonderful walking tour map that has an accompanying podcast that fills in all of the history. I should be fun.

Judith - did you go to Berlin?  I lived in Germany 89-91 and was in Berlin the day the Wall fell. I absolutely plan to take my family to Berlin and rewalk history for my daughter. How did you do it and how did it go?

On 5/11/2022 at 10:09 PM, HankaM said:

Judith - did you go to Berlin?  I lived in Germany 89-91 and was in Berlin the day the Wall fell. I absolutely plan to take my family to Berlin and rewalk history for my daughter. How did you do it and how did it go?

Yes, we made the 8:30 am train, barely, and were able to have a wonderful day in Berlin. We had plenty of time to walk around and take in a few of the sights. Not hard at all and definitely worth the effort. And so much more affordable the the ship's tour.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 10:23 PM, judithzuz said:

Yes, we made the 8:30 am train, barely, and were able to have a wonderful day in Berlin. We had plenty of time to walk around and take in a few of the sights. Not hard at all and definitely worth the effort. And so much more affordable the the ship's tour.

What train did you take out and back? I am trying to do this with MSC later this summer and they're not offering Berlin but we're also in port less time. Thanks in advance!

Hi Judith, 

I am also interested in the details  of your day as we are planning to train solo then likely a HOHO.

ICE? Warnemunde or Warnemunde Werft?  Did you purchase tickets while in the US or the day of?

Thank you in advance!

16 hours ago, emkenya1 said:

ICE? Warnemunde or Warnemunde Werft?  Did you purchase tickets while in the US or the day of?

Thank you in advance!

As a cruise passenger you want to start at Warnemünde directly next to the cruise center. (Warnemünde Werft is further away and local transportation only.)

Currently the probably most suitable train would be IC at 07:56, getting to Berlin at 10:23.

I would recommend buying the tickets in advance via the offical Homepage (Bahn.de), as you can get cheaper prices in advance, and to get seat resevations.

• Like 2

Agree with the above. We travel in Germany a lot and you can often get a good savings fare on long distance travel if you book far enough in advance. You cannot miss the train station, you will be getting on at the very first stop, with the trains only going in one direction ( other direction is the sea😂). When we visited Berlin we did an excellent free walking tour, starting from the Brandenburg Gate as an alternative to HOHO.  I used to live in Rostock and have friends in Warnemunde so can help if you have any more questions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 1:20 PM, Scottishclover said:

Agree with the above. We travel in Germany a lot and you can often get a good savings fare on long distance travel if you book far enough in advance. You cannot miss the train station, you will be getting on at the very first stop, with the trains only going in one direction ( other direction is the sea😂). When we visited Berlin we did an excellent free walking tour, starting from the Brandenburg Gate as an alternative to HOHO.  I used to live in Rostock and have friends in Warnemunde so can help if you have any more questions.

Seats are reserved!  Thanks to @carlmm and @scottishclover, much appreciated. 

Willing to pay for a tour, but very interested in details if the free one is excellent.  Any details would be appreciated. Thanks!

We used Sandemans New Europe Tours and the meeting place was outside Starbucks at the Brandenburg Gate, so very central. I think the quality depends on the individual guides, but our tour had a lot of historical background and was so interesting.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 3:20 AM, Scottishclover said:

We are planning on staying in Rostock for 4 nights before travelling to Hamburg to join an MSC Northern Europe cruise next October. Can you suggest some day trips(not Berlin as we have spent time there before). Planning on spending a day looking around Rostock, another in Warnemunde. Would like to do the Molli Railway. Should we visit Wismar and Schwerin? We will be relying on train and buses to get around. 

Wismar is quite similar to Rostock, only smaller. The molli is fun. There is a  lovely castle/palace in Schwerin, if that’s your thing. Ahrenshoop  is a pretty artist’s colony on Fischland- Darss- Zingst peninsula but might be difficult on public transport. I love the island of Ruegen and you can get a train to the main town of Binz. There are some stunning beaches in the area for windswept walks or sunbathing. It’s worth looking into M-V ticket from Deutsche Bahn if you are using the train. 

A tip for Rostock: you can get a leaflet from the tourist info on University Square and walk round the old town walls ( only some parts remain). I worked as a language assistant 25 years ago and have been back a few times to visit friends, most recently in 2018. Each time there’s more to discover and experience and it’s very easy to get around.