Feedback on Port Valet & SEA Spot Saver in Seattle

reiddg

We're disembarking from an Alaskan cruise on the Sunday before Labor Day and we've got a Noon flight out of SEATAC so I want to make sure our departure is as expeditious as possible.  I've read some very old posts advising the use of Port Valet to get our luggage to the airport and SEA Spot Saver to get through security quickly.

I was wondering if Port Valet is still a reliable way to get your luggage to SEATAC vs just taking early departure off the ship and taking the luggage ourselves.  I realize there's a convenience aspect of using Port Valet but I'm more interested in the reliability.  Also, we both have Pre-Check so I'm wondering if/how SEA Spot Saver would help expedite through TSA.  Spot Saver appears to save time if there is a backup in the Pre-Check line (seen that before at other airports) but would like to hear any thoughts on that from travelers that have used it before.

Any advise would be most appreciated.

Safe Travels!

The Luggage Valet program has been around for about 4 or 5 years (not counting Covid years) and it has been a great success. It only operates during the cruising season, so you can only read old data...no choice. Not sure what newer info you are expecting, given the definitions of the program.

Keep in mind, certain airlines and very early flights are not included in the Luggage Valet.

The Spot Saver is a much newer service.

26 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Luggage Valet program has been around for about 4 or 5 years (not counting Covid years) and it has been a great success. It only operates during the cruising season, so you can only read old data...no choice. Not sure what newer info you are expecting, given the definitions of the program.

Keep in mind, certain airlines and very early flights are not included in the Luggage Valet.

The Spot Saver is a much newer service.

Thank you for the info, CruiserBruce.  I read everything on the Port Valet page and Delta is included. The newer info I was looking for was feedback on whether Port Valet was still a reliable way to get luggage from port to airport or not.  The only info I found on the CC boards regarding the service was from 2011 and as we all know, things can change, and if it's no longer reliable, I wouldn't want to use it.  Unfortunately, as we all know, the pandemic has caused severe worker shortages that wreak havoc on a business.  Anyway, from what you've said, it sounds like it's still the way to go.

We used Port Valet October 2021 and it was great. Luggage tags and our boarding passes were left in our cabin the last day. We put our bags outside our cabin that night and the next time we saw them was at baggage claim in Philly. We had a full day of sightseeing without our bags. Remember it also saves you from having to check your bags in at the airport, so that saves time. When arrived at the airport, we went right to the TSA security line. This year we have a 12:30 pm return flight and plan to use Port Valet again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geckobabe said:

We used Port Valet October 2021 and it was great. Luggage tags and our boarding passes were left in our cabin the last day. We put our bags outside our cabin that night and the next time we saw them was at baggage claim in Philly. We had a full day of sightseeing without our bags. Remember it also saves you from having to check your bags in at the airport, so that saves time. When arrived at the airport, we went right to the TSA security line. This year we have a 12:30 pm return flight and plan to use Port Valet again.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!  Our flight is 11:54 so, we'll use Port Valet and then grab an Uber to the airport. I think will try the SEA Spot Saver too and see how that works.  It could be helpful if there's a backup in the PreCheck line.  This will be the day before Labor Day so who knows what the lines will be like.

Thanks again!

Edited by reiddg
content
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info on the SEA Spotsaver...never heard of it before.

How far in advance can you reserve Port Valet?

I will disembark the HAL Eurodam on May 7th and when I try to submit a request online I get the following message:

Can't find schedule for specified parameters.

Edited by AryMay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AryMay said:

How far in advance can you reserve Port Valet?

You sign up on the ship.

I think I read a post that someone said they pre registered online, but I really can't confirm that that option was really available.  The Port Valet paperwork usually shows up in your cabin about mid-way thru your cruise.  If you don't receive it, you should visit Guest Services onboard half way thru your cruise.

14 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You sign up on the ship.

I think I read a post that someone said they pre registered online, but I really can't confirm that that option was really available.  The Port Valet paperwork usually shows up in your cabin about mid-way thru your cruise.  If you don't receive it, you should visit Guest Services onboard half way thru your cruise.

Here is a link to the online page where you "should" be able to register for Port Valet in advance:  https://maketraveleasier.com/PortValet/Order

After getting the error message when trying to sign up, I sent an email and just got this response this morning:

We are currently working on updating all of our scheduled sailings for 2022, as all of the cruise ports and ships are updating their itineraries. In the meantime, if you wish to sign up for one of our services with Holland America Line, please see below.

1. For Luggage Delivery to your stateroom or hotel from your airport, please check out our Bags VIP service or contact us at BagsVIP@maketraveleasier.com. We can also store your bags the night before the ship's arrival and deliver them the next day directly to your stateroom.

2. Port Valet (Onboard airline check-in) - While onboard your cruise, you will be able to sign up in your stateroom if the service is being offered. Your cruise ship will send an enrollment form to your stateroom.

Port Valet Participating Cruise Lines
  • Holland America Line
  • Princess Cruises
  • Celebrity Cruises
  • Royal Caribbean
  • Norwegian Cruise Lines
  • Carnival Cruise Lines

I hadn't heard of the Bags VIP service, but it might be an option for someone who wanted to tour Seattle prior to a cruise and not worry about their luggage. (Although I would be concerned that the bags may not make it to the ship...)

Now I have my fingers crossed that the service will be available on our cruise arriving back in Seattle on May 7th. Our last Alaska cruise was also very early in the season and the service was not going to be available until the cruise after ours. 

• 4 weeks later...

Following.  We are also disembarking the Sunday before Labor Day.... and Delta just emailed that our 1:30 departure has changed to 11:25.  We have precheck and Clear so I can usually make it through security in Seattle in less than 20 minutes (sometimes even faster!). Not having to worry about the bags would help.

I'm worried an 11:25 flight might not qualify as they need time to get all the bags off the ship, sorted and loaded.  Unfortunately, there aren't any late flight options for us so it's either take this or move to a red eye.....

On 3/17/2022 at 10:08 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

You sign up on the ship.

We're on Carnival in May.  It says you can sign up on the ship but we were able to preregister online and received our confirmations.  Boarding passes and luggage tags will be delivered to our cabin on the last day.

2 hours ago, travelingirl70 said:

I'm worried an 11:25 flight might not qualify as they need time to get all the bags off the ship, sorted and loaded.  Unfortunately, there aren't any late flight options for us so it's either take this or move to a red eye.....

Our flight is at 11:34 and was able to register. I'm thinking the cut off time was 11:00.

I just registered and submitted my order on Port Valet.  It was easy to do and painless.  We're all set for our disembarkation on 9/4/22.

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Safe and Happy Cruising!

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, D & S said:

It was mentioned the bag fee will be charged to your onboard account.  What if you already paid thru the airline and still want to use Port Valet, will you be charged again??

When you sign up for Luggage Valet, you will have the opportunity to indicate that you are exempt from any luggage fees, and explain your exemption.

Just back from an Alaska cruise on the Eurodam last week and wanted to share our experience with Port Valet. 

I had preregistered for Port Valet and had an email confirmation prior to our cruise. Early in the week we received a form in our stateroom for the program and I checked at guest services to make sure I didn’t need to fill it out since I already had registered. Was told no other forms were needed and we were good to go.

The onboard info said it could be as late as 9 pm on the last night before luggage tags were delivered but we did not receive ours. Checked at GS and was told they hadn’t received any for us. Luckily we were still able to fill out the form right then and they were able to get us the tags by 10:00 pm or so. I was glad we had planned to stay onboard at Victoria otherwise we wouldn’t have discovered the problem until it was too late. 

I just mention this because waiting to sign up for the program while on the ship might be a better option…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AryMay said:

Just back from an Alaska cruise on the Eurodam last week and wanted to share our experience with Port Valet. 

I had preregistered for Port Valet and had an email confirmation prior to our cruise. Early in the week we received a form in our stateroom for the program and I checked at guest services to make sure I didn’t need to fill it out since I already had registered. Was told no other forms were needed and we were good to go.

The onboard info said it could be as late as 9 pm on the last night before luggage tags were delivered but we did not receive ours. Checked at GS and was told they hadn’t received any for us. Luckily we were still able to fill out the form right then and they were able to get us the tags by 10:00 pm or so. I was glad we had planned to stay onboard at Victoria otherwise we wouldn’t have discovered the problem until it was too late. 

I just mention this because waiting to sign up for the program while on the ship might be a better option…

Very good point.  Sorry that happened to you but glad it worked out and thank you for the warning.  I've already signed up for Port Valet for our 8/28 cruise but I will definitely check in with GS the day before disembarkation to make sure our tags were received.

6 minutes ago, reiddg said:

Very good point.  Sorry that happened to you but glad it worked out and thank you for the warning.  I've already signed up for Port Valet for our 8/28 cruise but I will definitely check in with GS the day before disembarkation to make sure our tags were received.

Guest services didn’t receive the tags until late evening on the night before disembarkation. When I checked at 9 pm, they had just gotten them and were getting ready to distribute the tags. 

6 minutes ago, AryMay said:

Guest services didn’t receive the tags until late evening on the night before disembarkation. When I checked at 9 pm, they had just gotten them and were getting ready to distribute the tags. 

Got it, thanks.  I'll definitely be checking with them that evening.

I used the Port Valet in FLL since I had a 6:15 PM flight and definitely did not want to drag 2 big bags around.  It was worth every cent of the extra $50 it cost me, will look into Southwest though for next time.

I am considering Port Valet for when I disembark NCL Encore in August and probably won't depart Seattle until an 8:30pm flight. Am I reading it correctly that if I use Port Valet, I am required to disembark as part of the first group off the ship? If possible, I'd prefer to stay on the ship as late as possible that morning.

30 minutes ago, gvgseg said:

I am considering Port Valet for when I disembark NCL Encore in August and probably won't depart Seattle until an 8:30pm flight. Am I reading it correctly that if I use Port Valet, I am required to disembark as part of the first group off the ship? If possible, I'd prefer to stay on the ship as late as possible that morning.

I am using Port Valet for the first time in August and while I've read that you'll depart in the first group, which for our Noon flight is fine, I don't recall reading that you would be "required" to depart - maybe I missed that.  I can't imagine they would require you to leave just because your luggage did, but who knows?  Maybe it's a TSA/CBP thing?  If you don't get an answer from others on this board that have done it before, I would recommend talking to GS when disembarkation papers arrive in your stateroom and explain the situation.  Best of luck.  

12 hours ago, Sprocket said:

I used the Port Valet in FLL since I had a 6:15 PM flight and definitely did not want to drag 2 big bags around.  It was worth every cent of the extra $50 it cost me, will look into Southwest though for next time.

Not familiar with a Port Valet service in FLL, but in Seattle it is FREE! The information that we got from Holland America also states that there will be no overweight baggage fees which takes a little worry out of packing! 

• Like 1