Celebrity Excursion to Tortola -- Rigor of Baths

AbbyCruiser45

Hi everyone--

We are booked on the Celebrity Equinox in July that goes to Tortola. The first thing we booked was the Virgin Gorda Baths and Snorkel. We wanted to do this in 2021, but Tortola was canceled. Since we've booked, my mom has been diagnosed with cancer. She's going through chemotherapy now and should be done with treatment two months before our sailing. I've read about people who go through similar chemotherapy treatments and they report continued fatigue and weakness for up to six months following the end of the treatment. She is young (55) and still fit, exercising through treatment. However, we're now concerned that the excursion will be too rigorous since it requires a 300 yard swim from the boat to the Baths. To people that have done this excursion, is the swim too difficult? Would we be better off going on the excursion that takes the ferry and then drives in to the top (Tour to Virgin Gorda Baths)?

Or is navigating the rock formations too rigorous within itself? Thank you in advance. This Equinox trip is anchoring our family and giving us something to look forward to. 

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I’m sorry about your mom. Hope the trip is magical. 
FYI. this post will be moved to the Tortola board when an Admin gets around to it. 

Thank you. I think it will be. 

I hope it's not moved....those boards are not very active (I searched there first) and I'm comparing two Celebrity excursions. --This is more of a message to admins, not you mfs2k (thank you). 

• Like 1

I can't speak to the swim in, but we have done the other excursion you mention. There's a pretty steep walk down/up to and from the parking area to the beach where you can access the Baths, but navigating the rock formations themselves isn't difficult for a reasonably fit person and the pace isn't very fast. Parts can be slippery so wearing grippy water shoes is very helpful; when we went some women had on heeled sandals and those were definitely not the right footwear.

Our excursion gave people the option to stay at the overlook area if they preferred upon arrival, so if your mom decided she wasn't feeling up to it at the last minute that could be an option. Hope her treatment goes well and she regains strength quickly!

I would decide on which excursion based on what your mother would prefer to do if she was not feeling well……if you do the swim in, she could stay on the boat, if you do the ferry with the taxi over, she could stay on Top of the Baths restaurant…sit outside, have a drink and use the pool.

I did the ferry version as opposed to the swim version. I agree with @BeeMinorthat the walk to and from the parking lot may be as much work as the swim. But actually navigating the baths isn't difficult, as long as the person has sufficient strength to be able to use a rope to assist themselves in climbing rocks. I personally would plan to do this on your own. We took the ferry over and back and just got a taxi. Then you don't need to pre-pay and can decide on the day on whether she is up to it or not. Also, the most difficult portion of navigating around the area was dealing with the large groups going through. The passage ways are narrow and go down to single file. When a group came we got out of the way at the nearest cavern so that way we could go at our own pace. 

I seem to remember that the people who were swimming in had life jackets or at least some of them did.   You could check with the tour company to make sure they have them so she could take a break and float as she takes the swim.

3 hours ago, macaroni said:

Top of the Baths restaurant…sit outside, have a drink and use the pool.

Okay this sounds like a fantastic option as a just in case. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

But actually navigating the baths isn't difficult, as long as the person has sufficient strength to be able to use a rope to assist themselves in climbing rocks. 

This is really good to hear, I saw that there were steps and ladders but not ropes, so that is good that there is something to hang onto. We're all reasonably fit. 

1 hour ago, Woody14 said:

I seem to remember that the people who were swimming in had life jackets or at least some of them did.

Perfect. We were thinking of inflatable pool noodles to help, but obviously a life jacket is more secure. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I personally would plan to do this on your own. We took the ferry over and back and just got a taxi. Then you don't need to pre-pay and can decide on the day on whether she is up to it or not.

Normally we would, but we have a ton of OBC thanks to that good sale back in November. 

We’ve done the hike to and from the Baths twice. It’s not the hardest trek ever but certainly not the easiest either. It’s hard to determine what will be ok for your mom. I can for sure advise her not to do the trek between Devils Bay and the Baths; that would be quite a challenge. There is a nice outdoor restaurant and pool and stores up at the top where she could spend the time if she wasn’t up to the hike. In terms of swimming in, we saw boaters do this, never from as far away as 300 yards, and they were all 20 something’s. Once outside the swimming area, you’re in open ocean/sea. I love to swim, and I wouldn’t wanna swim that from 300 yards away.