Traveling with kids, we are in a CL they are in a balcony, some questions.

riekl

Really one big question, and its not can they come to CK 🙂 The problem i'm worried about is RCCL forced me to book myself and one kid in the suite, and my wife and the other kid in the BL (they are 15 & 12).  Am I going to have any issues with my WIFE coming to CK even though she isn't officially on the suite room?  Is she going to be able to get into the suite lounge, the suite sun deck etc?  Any suggestions on how to make this as painless as possible?  Again I'm not trying or wanting my kids to enjoy these suite perks but the whole point of the trip was for my wife and I to enjoy them.  Thoughts ?  

• Like 1

Yes, you will have a problem..  Your wife is not booked in a suite and, therefore, can not enjoy any of the suite benefits - that includes suite lounge, coastal kitchen, suite sun deck.  You will not be able to move her into your room as a child must be in a room adjacent (next to or directly across from) an adult in the same party.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, riekl said:

Really one big question, and its not can they come to CK 🙂 The problem i'm worried about is RCCL forced me to book myself and one kid in the suite, and my wife and the other kid in the BL (they are 15 & 12).  Am I going to have any issues with my WIFE coming to CK even though she isn't officially on the suite room?  Is she going to be able to get into the suite lounge, the suite sun deck etc?  Any suggestions on how to make this as painless as possible?  Again I'm not trying or wanting my kids to enjoy these suite perks but the whole point of the trip was for my wife and I to enjoy them.  Thoughts ?  

Yes.  This is likely an issue.  By policy,

only you and the one child has access to the CK.  

53 minutes ago, riekl said:

Maybe switch to a grand suite where you can book the kids next door or across the hall.  Then you get the suite benefits as you want them.  

55 minutes ago, riekl said:

You won’t have any issue taking here to the suite deck as that really isn’t monitored in my experience.  

This is a problem 😞  The cruise is 3/26 there is no possibility of moving anyone around.  I've done a RU bid on the kids room to a JS if that comes through it solves CK for dinner issue at least.  I can get her into the suite deck on my own but not being able to use the suite lounge will be highly annoying.  

7 minutes ago, riekl said:

This is a problem 😞  The cruise is 3/26 there is no possibility of moving anyone around.  I've done a RU bid on the kids room to a JS if that comes through it solves CK for dinner issue at least.  I can get her into the suite deck on my own but not being able to use the suite lounge will be highly annoying.  

It’s unfortunate you didn’t know this before. I think you’ve got to try to temper your frustration because that is the policy.  No use letting it ruin your vacation.   Another option is on the first day trying to talk to the CK manager about allowing your wife to substitute for your child during the week.   I would think you have a fighters chance of that being possible if nothing else for a few nights at least.  Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, gmerick said:

Wife and child are going to swap key cards anyway.  CK and Suite Lounge don't check the digital picture associated with the key card.  Don't worry about it.  

Doesn't the key card have a notation for minors?  And is the suite kid a female?

1 hour ago, riekl said:

Can you move the kid and wife into the CL with you and other kid and cancel "kids" balcony?

6 minutes ago, gmerick said:

Wife and child are going to swap key cards anyway.  CK and Suite Lounge don't check the digital picture associated with the key card.  Don't worry about it.  

Maybe.  But they might need to show their card or maybe both cards when making their first dinner reservation.  Could they sneak by?  Of course that is possible.  No different than anyone else sneaking someone in.  But make no mistake, this is sneaking in a non suite guest if done that way.  If the CK manager catches the issue, it could back fire and they disallow it (and then know better all week).  For starters, I would tend to make a reservations for two (dad and kid) for all week regardless.  Then later I would ask if you can bring your wife in place of your son (given the requirements for the cabin bookings).  Then you have your spot reserved so at worst you’re simply substituting and not asking to take someone else’s spot.   This is the honest way to do it and a solid chance they allow it given the circumstances.  

• Like 1

A man and wife walking into the SL probably won’t be challenged.  

At CK it may raise an eyebrow though as they record which guests are eating in CK so they can divert gratuity from MDR.  However since you as a solo would consume a table for two they may not have an issue if you talk to them.  It depends.  

19 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Maybe send an email to the Concierge and ask if they have any procedures or accommodations for such a situation. I’m sure this has come up before. 

How do I reach out to the concierge?  Cruise is in 10 days.  

2 hours ago, riekl said:

Ahhhh, actually it doesn't.  JS guests are not allowed into CK; it starts with a GS and above.  Good luck my friend.  I truly hope that the maitre'd can work something out with/for you $$$$$

Edited by Surfguyxxx

8 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Ahhhh, actually it doesn't.  JS guests are not allowed into CK; it starts with a GS and above.  Good luck my friend.  I truly hope that the maitre'd can work something out with/for you $$$$$

JS are allowed for dinner, space available.

8 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Since when ? I have always sailed in JS and CK is absolutely allowed ? Its even in the listed benefits for "Sea" class.  

14 minutes ago, riekl said:

Since when ? I have always sailed in JS and CK is absolutely allowed ? Its even in the listed benefits for "Sea" class.  

Hmmm, is it dinner only then?  I recently did a JS on Oasis and wasn't able to go but perhaps it was for breakfast and lunch but could with dinner reservations?  

1 hour ago, gmerick said:

Guest services will give extra keys, if they swap key cards the minor won’t be able to get into the teen club or order anything.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

A man and wife walking into the SL probably won’t be challenged.  

At CK it may raise an eyebrow though as they record which guests are eating in CK so they can divert gratuity from MDR.  However since you as a solo would consume a table for two they may not have an issue if you talk to them.  It depends.  

They divert mdr tips to CK?  How do they do this?  Per meal (ex. Breakfast, lunch, etc.)?   How is that calculated if I do breakfast and lunch elsewhere and do dinner at CK?   Seems like this would be a really hard thing to keep track of per guest?   

1 minute ago, topnole said:

They divert mdr tips to CK?  How do they do this?  Per meal (ex. Breakfast, lunch, etc.)?   How is that calculated if I do breakfast and lunch elsewhere and do dinner at CK?   Seems like this would be a really hard thing to keep track of per guest?   

That's why they ask for cabin numbers even when in Sky and Star class.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

That's why they ask for cabin numbers even when in Sky and Star class.

There are many reasons besides tips that they ask for a cabin number.  So I would never assume that is the reason or

the sole reason.  

If we assume it is however, what if I eat some where else but sit with my wife while she eats lunch or breakfast.  We do this on occasion (like when I do the flowrider first thing in the morning) Plus, our kids might be with us but not eat depending on the time.  No idea how they can do a good job of tracking all of that.  

6 minutes ago, topnole said:

There are many reasons besides tips that they ask for a cabin number.  So I would never assume that is the reason or

the sole reason.  

If we assume it is however, what if I eat some where else but sit with my wife while she eats lunch or breakfast.  We do this on occasion (like when I do the flowrider first thing in the morning) Plus, our kids might be with us but not eat depending on the time.  No idea how they can do a good job of tracking all of that.  

When I have asked the CK manager on other ships that was their response.