Drink costs while in US waters

macfam5

On 4/7/2022 at 4:08 PM, chengkp75 said:

If you call at a non-EU port, then Spain can only charge VAT in their waters, or if the cruise did not originate in Spain.

For the Norwegian Epic, are passengers who board at Civitavecchia, not Barcelona, also charged Spanish tax? That's what I did, but it's long enough ago that I don't remember. In other words, is the cruise considered to have begun in Spain even for passengers who don't embark or disembark there?

9 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

For the Norwegian Epic, are passengers who board at Civitavecchia, not Barcelona, also charged Spanish tax? That's what I did, but it's long enough ago that I don't remember. In other words, is the cruise considered to have begun in Spain even for passengers who don't embark or disembark there?

No, with interporting, your cruise begins where you embark.  In that case, you would have been charged VAT only while in Spanish waters.

12 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

He might receive some odd looks when he asks for mayonnaise with the fries, though.

Well he certainly would from ME! He hates mayonnaise. He's a "fries + ketchup-man" through and through. 😂

I, on the other hand, occassionally will dip into the mayonnaise--if only to cause the proper American folk to clutch their pearls. 😳😉

Just saw this thread. Learned a lot. Going on the Pearl in the 3 bedroom Garden Villa out of Boston - to Bermuda- June 24. These discussions now having me ask the question - while in Bermuda for 3 days - will all the drinks now have a tax added? There are 7 adults in our family and one child. That could add up. Kind of misleading to me to say free drinks. NCL should at least explain all of this to their guests before hand.