Escape damaged, cruise cancelled, passengers being flown home

Javajitterz

Yes. We booked the western Caribbean cruise leaving from Tampa on Sunday. We actually went from a BB to a BA with all perks transferred and monies returned for prebooked excursions.  Although the ship isn't as exciting as the Escape, we prefer the new itinerary. It was a very long wait to talk with a rep but they could not have been nicer or more accommodating. Of course the cabins you can get are limited to availability at this late date.  We were surprised and very grateful we were able to get comparable accommodations.  Good luck!

• Like 3

Glad you got a good deal and could still cruise. Some people can roll with the punches easier than others. I know the taxes and fees were not going to be refunded if you select another cruise. I know they come up to about the price of the cruise fare, but you still get a 100% FCC which is awesome.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 6:04 AM, chengkp75 said:

As noted, the entertainers do shorter tours on the ship, and since they are "contractors" would be the first to be sent off the ship.  From my experience, the entertainers are the tail end of the "telephone chain" of rumors, and probably the least informed onboard.

Questions I have about this report, is that the lowest level in the ship is deck 0, not deck 1.  The waterline is around deck 2, so a dent/breach there would be more indicative of contact with a dock, not the bottom or the side of a channel.

As noted above, the ship did 17 knots getting to PC, not really slow.

Short answer, maybe.  If it is actually around deck 0, it will be difficult, but possible.  If it is deck 1, then pretty definitely yes.  If there is no breach, then definitely yes, it can be done at the dock in PC.  If there is a breach, at deck 1, then they could heel the ship over to raise the breach above the water.  If it is a breach down at deck 0, then it depends on the location of the breach, and the actual damage, as to whether it could be repaired in the water.  If there is a breach, the repairs would be tested before the ship sails by various means, including a "vacuum box" to test that the welds are actually watertight.  This is typical.  Sometimes breaches like this are repaired using a temporary cofferdam on the outside to keep the water away.  Grand Bahamas dry dock #3 is still home to Serenade of the Seas, which I think is unexpected (but not sure), so no drydock available at this time.

@chengkp75 Any word on if the Serenade of the Seas is still in dry dock? I have to wonder if the Escape is in repair limbo until the Serenade leaves dry dock? Anybody heard any updated info on the Escape?

6 minutes ago, CannonG said:

@chengkp75 Any word on if the Serenade of the Seas is still in dry dock? I have to wonder if the Escape is in repair limbo until the Serenade leaves dry dock? Anybody heard any updated info on the Escape?

Yes, Serenade is still in dock.  It looks like her next cruise is on the West Coast on 4/26, so not sure when she is scheduled off the dock.  Unless there is someone local to PC who can see if there is equipment staged near Escape to indicate whether repairs are underway.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Unless there is someone local to PC who can see if there is equipment staged near Escape to indicate whether repairs are underway.

Okay, you folks who live in the area, we need a little help here. Please drive by and see if there is any activity that looks like repairs may be taking place. We are on the 4-2 sailing and are getting a little nervous. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vicnsue said:

Okay, you folks who live in the area, we need a little help here. Please drive by and see if there is any activity that looks like repairs may be taking place. We are on the 4-2 sailing and are getting a little nervous. 

5 minutes ago, vicnsue said:

Did you happen to see the you tube video from a local Orlando TV station?  The Port Authority had a meeting on Wednesday and the head guy mentioned repairs were ongoing and were just taking longer than first expected  He fully expects the April 2 cruise to be a go.  I will look for the limk and post it.  We cruise April 9 th so hope he is correct

Tom

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 6:48 AM, bigrednole said:

....Even if having to drop to an interior cabin, you basically get the cruise for free anyway. You just have to roll with the punches and see the good in it. I would be thrilled for these options.

That would be the deal breaker for me.  Can't do Interior to claustrophobic .  Need a balcony,

On 3/23/2022 at 5:49 PM, Montanagirlalways said:

with option 1 we only get the cruise fare back. taxes,etc of what we paid are then transferred to the new cruise. Its an ok deal.  

Can confirm this.  Spoke with our PCC this morning, it's the cruise fare and nothing more.  To make it a free cruise, we'll have to downgrade a few cabin categories next time I'd imagine.  Or do a shorter cruise

44 minutes ago, disneywackerdh said:

Anyone see any updates on the repairs anywhere?  I'm on the April 2 sailing and am on pins and needles.  Also, has anyone received a "winning bid notification" on an upgrade for April 2 yet?  That would be a good sign the cruise is still on I'd imagine...

You will know if the repair is not complete or successful when you get a cruise cancellation notice. You won’t get a day-by-day status.

While not what the gossip junkies and rumor mongers crave, NCL had a fiduciary duty to their shareholders not to engage in rumors. Last week, they sent cancellation notices to passengers out on Tuesday. They did not make a public announcement, but responded to media queries with a brief message. 

The book of faces has an active roll call with status on upgrades. Typically, NCL would start the Haven upgrades today (Monday).  Once the Haven is full, rooms open up and they work on outstanding lower upgrade requests. 

1 hour ago, disneywackerdh said:

Anyone see any updates on the repairs anywhere?  I'm on the April 2 sailing and am on pins and needles.  Also, has anyone received a "winning bid notification" on an upgrade for April 2 yet?  That would be a good sign the cruise is still on I'd imagine...

We sail April 2 as well, but just a reminder that last week people started to get upgrade emails less than half an hour before the cancellation email came out so I wouldn't use that as an indicator! 

On 3/16/2022 at 9:47 AM, Flipchild32 said:

Until the final two days of us disembarking - while I know it is not easy to get so many people off and flown home - it was a nightmare for many. Multiple problems which still have not been addressed with the passengers on that cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geegee1 said:

That would be the deal breaker for me.  Can't do Interior to claustrophobic .  Need a balcony,

Understand. I don't live in a room when on vacation. I like to be out doing things. Any room is the perfect size for sleep and naps. The rest of the time, I am not in my room.

6 hours ago, Btsrcat said:

We sail April 2 as well, but just a reminder that last week people started to get upgrade emails less than half an hour before the cancellation email came out so I wouldn't use that as an indicator! 

Omg, this is so horrible.  I hope they got a refund for the upgrade and not just cruise credit if the took the alternate cruise..

8 hours ago, disneywackerdh said:

Other social media is reporting that 4/2/22 is cancelled. I have not got a cancellation notice yet. I booked direct with NCL. 

26 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Other social media is reporting that 4/2/22 is cancelled. I have not got a cancellation notice yet. I booked direct with NCL. 

Evidentially, travel agents have been notified that an announcement will be coming out tomorrow (Tuesday). Some have already forwarded the cancellation notices and rebooking options. NCL says that they do not have that notice and can not process the re-booking. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Evidentially, travel agents have been notified that an announcement will be coming out tomorrow (Tuesday). Some have already forwarded the cancellation notices and rebooking options. NCL says that they do not have that notice and can not process the re-booking. 

What happened to the control you supposedly have booking direct instead of with a TA when it is the TAs who find out first and can notify their customers first?

• Like 1