Guarantee Balcony question

Assignment can be at any time. I have a June cruise booked, and received my guarantee balcony assignment last week. Booked the cruise in early January. 

Assignment seemed early to me. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1

My story started out not so good…in April 2017 we had a 10 night cruise booked on Serenade of the Seas, right before my hubby was deploying to Afghanistan and to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. We always drive to the port the day before to begin our vacation early.  As we are pulling out of our driveway (at this point still didn’t have a cabin assigned yet but I didn’t really think anything about it because it was first time doing a guarantee so thinking maybe it’s assigned when we check in).  So anyway my phone rings and it was RCCL telling me they oversold the ship and did not have a room for us but they could put us on a 7 night instead and give us a $200 onboard credit.  WHAT????   Like most of you I’m sure - I booked THIS cruise because I wanted 10 nights, I wanted this itinerary and I wanted this ship!  I busted out crying because the cruise was very sentimental to begin with since was husband was headed to Afghanistan. 
She said they were just going down the list to try and find people willing to switch cruises and she would keep calling others on the list and call me back later.  We optimistically headed down to FLL anyway, thinking we’re doing some kind of vacation no matter what.  About 3 hours later I had not heard back so I called them.  I was told they had a room for us (WHEW) but did not have a cabin number yet.   Waited patiently for another hour and called back again and they gave us our cabin number. So a very happy ending but a stressful and emotional few hours.  And it ended up being one of our best ever cruises.  We will NOT however, ever, book a guarantee room again LOL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twinmommy08 said:

Whelp posting in this tread helped me get my room assigned! I checked the app just now and I was assigned a spacious ocean view balcony starboard side. I’m happy! 

Do they notify you by email or do you just keep checking the app?

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Which sailing - June 10?  If so they are showing both XN (neighborhood) and XB (OV) balcony GTY's offered on that itinerary - not "generic".  If that is your sailing you should be booked in one or the other and will be assigned as such.  Check your booking confirmation to see what the category code is for your GTY.

(Actually they are also showing GTY's available for all stateroom categories on that sailing).

Not on the consumer-facing website.  😞 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I thought at one time you could differentiate which balcony GTY you wanted on line, but apparently that option no longer exists.  (Or is buried somewhere not obvious to find).

That to me is a negative because I am pretty sure if they would issue any balcony off the GTY that the pricing may not be as attractive as "one size fits all "as it would be with options for the two basic categories.  I would also agree that I think that it would be more likely that the neighborhood balconies would be assigned before the OV's.

That would be one reason IMO to use a TA as they can access the neighborhood options and pricing. 

When I looked at one specific sailing the generic balcony gty was either the same price or practically the same as the neighborhood gty on a TA website. Dunno whether that's always the case or just happened to be on that sailing. 

If people don't realize it includes neighborhood balconies that gty price looks good as it was significantly less than the cheapest ocean view balcony. At least 300pp.

• Like 1