Miami to Cape Canaveral

glennmartin

Hello All

whats the best way to get from port of Miami to Cape Canaveral we are doing a sort of back to back in jan 2023 and need to try and get from one port to the other 

we have looked at hiring a car but the only place i can find it miami airport 

We just did this in September.  We sailed MSC.  When we booked, b2b not allowed, we sailed out of Miami then went to Mia to pick up one way rental to Port Canaveral.  I swore of Port Canaveral rental agencies after last couple trips but figured with only two ships in Port and reduced capacity it was not a problem.

Agencies were just starting up again but think Hertz went down for the count.

It was a nice drive.  Got to hotel, went to lunch, did laundry, then returned car, only one group behind us, shuttle to port, ghost town, then on to ship.  With more folks now, YMMV.

We did go an hour late and got hit with late fee but it was $200.  I looked at flying but with three of us, the air plus transfers and time did not make sense.

6 hours ago, glennmartin said:

ok so collect car from mia international and then drop off at port 

Actually you will drop off near the port - all of the local car agencies (Hertz, Avis, etc.) have locations near PC or in nearby Cape Canaveral and will shuttle you to the port after you return the car.

The drive from Miami up I-95 to PC will take about 3.5 hours.

17 hours ago, glennmartin said:

Hello All

whats the best way to get from port of Miami to Cape Canaveral we are doing a sort of back to back in jan 2023 and need to try and get from one port to the other 

we have looked at hiring a car but the only place i can find it miami airport 

A one-way rental car is probably best, but driving through big, unfamiliar cities sends my stress levels sky high - not what I need on a vacation.

Mostly for archive's sake, let me tell you about what I did.

I had two days between cruises - the first finishing up in POM, the second embarking in PC.  For a long time, it looked like the best option for me was RedCoach - yes, a bus.  I'm familiar and comfortable with interstate buses, so I didn't mind that.  There was a stop at MIA and their stop in Orlando is a few miles from the airport in an area with some hotels and some fast food outlets within walking distance.  I saw their Miami stop and my hotel in Orlando was across from their stop there.  I could have made that work, but when I got ready to book, their prices spiked - and I found something I liked better.

For some reason, Frontier was offering giveaway prices for their flights from MIA to MCO for my time period.  The base fare was literally $4.  Add to that $55 for their optional-but-nearly-mandatory option bundle (which included seat picking and a carry-on) and $25 in fees, and it was just a little more expensive than traveling by RedCoach.  So I did this.  The flight ended up being delayed by two hours, but I didn't mind.  I wasn't in a particular hurry.  The flight ended up fine.  Thanks Frontier.  I took a Lyft to my chosen hotel after taking a COVID-19 test at the airport.

I thought I was so cute in my plans to Port Canaveral.  I found a shuttle that promised to pick me up from the hotel and drop me off directly at the terminal.  To make a long story short, the shuttle didn't show and the shuttle company paid for a rideshare to the terminal.  Nice customer service and I was made more or less whole, but that's not a sustainable business model.  If I were to attempt this again, I would probably take a shuttle from MCO to Port Canaveral.

I know this all SOUNDS difficult, but I thought of it as an adventure in planning and exploring a small part of a big city that I may or may not visit again.