Real-Time Review by SthrnGary of the NCL Joy, March 19, 2022, Cruise in “Haven Lite”

Sthrngary

27 minutes ago, lyannea said:

In one of the You-Tube videos, you held up a copy of the cruise planner that you made for you and your family, outlining activities, etc  for each day.

Do you have a copy of it somewhere on Cruise Critic ? If not, I'll freeze frame the video and copy.

It's the best and most organized that I've seen.

Butler_NCL_Cruises_Template.docx NCL_Joy_Family_Journey_Document_template.docx Cruise_Agenda_Template.xlsx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, Sthrngary said:

@Suite HeartThere are two bottles of 1942.  One is located at the bar in the Deck 15 Observation Lounge.  A brand-new bottle is located in the "A" list bar besides Cagney's. If you don't see it, say "Gary Sent You". LOL

The Vibe "Gary" Beach Club is a great place.  I go every day and going after I finish responding to you here.  I went this morning, asked for shade, they put two umbrellas out for me, gave me ice water and the next thing I knew, they put a towel under my neck.  I could not be happier. 

I have not eaten at "Q".  I heard it was just OK.  The key with "Q" is go when the band is playing and the experience is much better all around.

Please remember, I cruised on the Joy 4 months ago.  Footloose was great, a little long but no intermission.  Elements is also great.  Sit up close and in the center if you can.  The first night bealtes revolution show was my favorite.  Several times during the week they play again for an hour set in the Cavern Club.  The comedy shows have been much better this cruise then a few months ago.  The best music is at the Sugar Cane at night.  Those folks are awesome. 

That should cover your question for now.  

Cruise well

Thank you, Gary!

I am currently in Miami; I board the Joy tomorrow with all your info in my pocket. Two-and-a-half years since last cruise. I am sooooo looking forward to this.🙃🍾

2 minutes ago, Suite Heart said:

Thank you, Gary!

I am currently in Miami; I board the Joy tomorrow with all your info in my pocket. Two-and-a-half years since last cruise. I am sooooo looking forward to this.🙃🍾

Have a great cruise.  Glad I could help.  

I have spent most of the day in my cabin enjoying the last few hours of the ocean. Tonight I will join a new friend who is also solo for dinner. He is an interesting guy, he eats every night I Cagney’s.

Dinner My Final Night:  tonight is Cagney‘s. It is my third time in Cagney‘s this week. I had five specialty restaurants. Tonight I will order the lamb chops. That is something I really order or have at home and I assure everyone reading this that I will be picking up the bones and chewing Every last bit of meat off of itEvery last bit of meat off of it. There is a shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad and seven layer chocolate cake in my future. I know better than to drink too much tonight because I never can sleep the last night anyway.

If someone can please write a blog on how to reduce the stress of departing from a cruise I will be your biggest fan.

for all of my new friends I met on this cruise, bon voyage welcome home and I hope to see you again in the future.

Cruise well everyone, life is too short not to enjoy it

• Like 4

ECA68427-EC18-4BF8-9017-856B2B1D9BA4.thumb.jpeg.e77446f258c7f4ca5b6caf7e3938b6af.jpegTo everyone that has kept on asking me about tequila 1942. I am so sorry to share this with you but the only bottom is located in the observation deck 15. I swear I did not drink at all. I hope there’s more left when you come on board tomorrow.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I never can sleep the last night anyway.

If someone can please write a blog on how to reduce the stress of departing from a cruise I will be your biggest fan.

I thought it was just me!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

I thought it was just me!!

Not just you.  I go to sleep early, take NyQuil and attempt and the key word is attempt not to drink that much.  I pack my bags early because it is depressing.  Even with all that, I can't sleep.  Maybe tonight I will finally sleep but it is not my past. 

Cruise well and enjoy every minute.  

• Like 1

07:30 Am-Breakfast at Buffet:

This is the best place to get a good breakfast. The ship and the crew are so loud in the morning and getting a shower is not a problem. You were up anyway.

After breakfast I just went to the observation lounge on deck 15. There was nobody there and the Starbucks was not open.

The worst thing you can do is go to public areas where there are a lot of people. Everybody is a little rushed and nervous. That’s why I go to the observation deck. I wait for the announcement on the color luggage tag but I have and I take my time.

My plan is once I get my luggage in clear customs, to grab a cab, go to the airport and get on an earlier flight back home. The weather in Miami looks lovely so flight should be OK today.

to all the people I met on the NCL Joy, I enjoyed meeting you. Do you everyone that read my postings, thank you for your positive feedback. Let’s cruise again sometime.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 7

@Sthrngary Thanks for bringing us along. I love your style. I also appreciate how you strive to spread happiness through your generosity. In this time of darkness we need some light. I hope to do the same on my upcoming cruises. Thanks again.☺️

Happy cruising and keep spreading your light! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted Review for the NCL Joy, March 19, 2022 Sailing (Just Posted):

Overview: This was my first “Solo” Cruise on any cruise brand in over 25 cruises and 42 years. My first cruise was 42 years ago for my Honeymoon.  It was on the NCL SS Norway. At the time, the largest cruise ship in the world.  This is also the first time in a very long time that I have cruised was NOT in either the Haven, Celebrity Retreat or MSC Yacht Club.  I am known as “Mr. Haven” on the Cruisecritic.com NCL Boards, because I write about it the Haven so much. My threads are detailed and long. This cruise I am calling “Haven Lite”.  When you are a “Solo” cruiser, you must pay double to stay in the Haven. That was a too much for my blood. Let’s start the review with, “I had a GREAT Time and it truly surprised me!

Embarkment and Strategy:

Flights: I always fly in the day before a cruise.  ALWAYS.  This cruise was no exception. I traveled for business for my entire life, so I am a lifetime Platinum Elite member for Delta. This means I am always upgraded and know exactly how to handle flight delay with reduced stress.  There were weather issues this week, so I was perfectly suited to handle it and helped others through the stress.

Hotels: I always stay near the port so my morning cab/uber ride to the port is quick.  This time it was the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay.  I did this on Hotel Points to save some money.  It was a 7 out of 10 rating.

NCL Online Check-In: New to this cruise was NCL now does only a 21-day online check in. I was online and check in just as they let me do, so I could get the earliest boarding time.  My boarding time was 09:00 AM.  This was important because I wanted to get on the ship quick to get Vibe Beach pass before they were sold out.  I had the right strategy.

Embarkation Day: I had the Complementary Breakfast due to my elite status at the Marriott which was just OK.  I took an Uber for $15.00 to the port and arrived at 08:45 AM.  There was already a line, but it was not too long.  They did not allow you to enter the terminal until 09:30 AM. Once in the terminal, I was checked and waiting by the entry door in less than 12 minutes.  The secret was to have all your covid-19 test results, Covid card, Passport and NCL Boarding Barcode handy.  I had boarding group #1.

This was a bit different for me because I am usually in the Haven.  Yet it was relatively easy going.  They let the special needs in first then Highest Status then Boarding Group #1.  I shipped the Muster Drill station initially and went to the Teppanyaki Restaurant to get Vibe Beach Club Pass.  It is usually at guest service however not on the NCL Joy.  I was second on the line.  Please make note, if you want a Vibe pass it is $209.00 for the week and you need to be there to get it. You can’t order extra ones. They made a few exceptions on this cruise, but the Vibe was sold out in one hour.

Muster (9 out of 10): You go to your area; they ask you three times if you watched the NCL video link they sent you.  They register your suite card, and it is done.  Maybe 5 minutes tops with waiting. Much different then the old days of that crowded hot room somewhere.

Stateroom Ready at 01:30 PM: Unless you are in the Haven, don’t every try to go to your Stateroom until 01:30 PM.  Your room steward is working so hard to make it right for you.  Give them some time.

Vibe Beach Club (10 out of 10): My “Haven Lite” plan was in full motion.  I went to the Vibe Beach Club and was the first one there.  I used the rest room to get in my bathing suit and tea shirt.  I will now share my real experience with the Vibe.  Most of what I read on CruiseCritic.com that were negative was not accurate from my experience, which was excellent.

Once changed, the crew of the Vibe asked me which padded lounge chair I wanted.  They draped it with towels, got me an umbrella, brought me over a carafe of ice water and asked if I wanted a drink.  When you are at the port of Miami, you must pay tax on the drinks until they sail. FYI only. 

Now, that treatment was mind blowing and was much better than my recent cruise on the NCL Joy in November of 2021 in the Haven Sundeck.  What made the Vibe great for me was it had two Huge hot tubs, one on each side of the ship, a dedicated bar and a staff that catered to you.  Never ever crowded and if you ever went near the main pool, you would know what crowded looks like.  Just a place to chill and meet new people. My rating is a 10 out of 10.

The Premium Plus Drink Package (10 out of 10): I have a thread on CruiseCritic.com that I started two years ago and is active today on the NCL CruiseCritic.com blog.  It focuses on the Premium Plus Drink Package.  I love it. Not because I drink so much or that much more on a cruise.  Instead, so I can try items I would never try at home.  Please remember the theme of this trip is “Haven Lite”.  The Plus package helps that theme.  Every morning I had one or two Starbucks Coffees and every night I had a Starbucks specialty coffee. I was able to find the only two bottles of Tequila 1942 on the ship. At the “A List Bar” and the deck 15 Observation Lounge bar. This is the best Tequila I have ever had and at $40.00 per shot, the Premium Plus package was very handy.  Then there was the French Champagne.  I had one almost every night to start my dinner.  When you upgrade or buy a special package.  Have a plan and a strategy.  The plan is not to get drunk every night.  It is to enjoy and enhance your cruising enjoyment with things that you rarely could taste.  I felt like a “Rock Star”.

Dining Options:

Buffet (7 out of 10): I have not eaten at a cruise buffet in a very long time. Very bad experiences way back when.  This trip was different.  I had several breakfasts, one lunch and one dinner at the buffet.  Let’s start with breakfast.  I went to the omelet station and had them make me over easy eggs.  They were perfect.  Surprisingly the chunked potato was very good also.  The bagels were full sized and all you had to do was toast them twice. Smoked salmon was plentiful.  The last day, prior to leaving the ship, this should be your early morning destination.

Main Dining Room (7 out of 10): The service was GREAT.  They remembered my name after just visiting once.  This is where I had the best breakfasts.  The eggs benedicts I had twice, and they were great. If you want a waffle with your eggs, ask for it to be crispy and dry.  The sauce they put on them are way too sweet. My dinner was very good and better than I expected.  I had fish one night and it was lovely.

Cagney’s Steakhouse (9.5 out of 10): I have not eaten in Cagney’s in years.  My family does not like red meat, and I do. This is a Solo Cruise, so I started my first evening dining in Cagney’s. I ended up going a total of three times out of five specialty meals I had available.  That says something.  I here is a list of what I really liked; Oysters Rockefeller, Shrimp Cocktail, Blue Cheese Wedge Salad, Cesar Salad, 16 oz Rib Eye, 16 oz Prime Rib, and Lamb Chops.  The best item they had was the 7 Layer Cake that should not be missed. Ask for two scoops of ice cream. If you are on the NCL Joy, ask for Alex as your server.

Le Bistro (7.5 out of 10): This was a complementary dinner for two provided by American Express Platinum.  Not my favorite of the specialty restaurants.  The service is GREAT, but you really must know what to order. I know what I like so I was very lucky.  The Scallops Soup is really good followed by the Lamb.  With dinner I took full advantage of my upgraded Platinum Plus Drink Package with many glasses of French Champagne.  I skipped desert, which is not like me but sometimes, a simple meal is the best meal.

Teppanyaki Restaurant (8 out of 10): This is not the best food, but it is the best experience.  This was going to be different for me being a solo traveler.  The group you are with makes a difference. My group was very nice.  I bought a bottle of Champagne for the table. Lots of fun.  My choice was perfect.  Steak and Scallops.  Again, I skipped desert. 

Entertainment, Activities and Music:

The Shows (10 out of 10): Don’t miss the shows.  They are all great. It is easy to say, I am too tired.  Don’t, please go. The first night was the Beatles Revolutions which I so look forward to. Then I go to the Cavern Club other nights to see the rest of their sets.  Footloose is a bit long but outstanding.  It goes fast because there is no intermission.  Elements is amazing.  For this show, sit upfront center.  You will thank me for that advice.

Music (10 out of 10): My favorite place was the Sugar Cane Bar.  The group there every night was one of the best on the ship.  Just to people but full of energy.  When at this bar, say hello to the world-famous bartender “Bong”.  You can’t miss him; he is a star.  The atrium also has many great music selections.

Activities:

Water Slides (9 out of 10): I am 64 years old.  I love the water slides.  When it is a port day, the slides open at 02:00 PM.  That is when I am there.  If you have piercings in or jewelry on, you can’t use the slides. Ladies, no shorts.  Only bathing suits.  Don’t be afraid.  Why should kids have all the fun. It is a good idea to have someone at the bottom with your flip flops so you don’t have to walk on the very hot deck.

Go Carts (7 out of 10): This is fun but a one and done.  $15.00 which is fair.  The problem is the NCL Joy track was the first one they made.  It does not allow for passing so if you have someone slow in front of you, the activity is boring.  They changed this on the Bliss and the Encore.

Laser Tag (6 out of 10): Another one and done activity.  Fun but looks better then it is.  It is much more fun if you do this at night.

Virtual Reality (5 out of 10) The only thing worth doing is the Indy Car which is a separate fee.

Ports and Excursions: I have been on this itinerary before.  I have done lots of the Excursions.  None of them are all that great and most of them are too expensive.  On this cruise, I only left the ship on the Private Island because I like it so much.  I did a 60-minute walk then back on the ship.  The food and drink on the island it NOT complementary.  Our last cruise we had a Beach Villa which was expensive and amazing.  The food and drink bill were as much as another excursion.  I learned my lesson. I came on this cruise for the ship, not the ports.

Cabin (MC) (7 out of 10): I will review this below.

Conclusion: This week was a wonderful week.  As a solo cruiser I did things differently.  I eat and drink far less then I usually do.  I spent more time in my stateroom looking at the water.  The Vibe Beach Club was the highlight of my entire week.  The deck 15 Observation Lounge was also a highlight. I noticed the pool was super crowded because the ship took on 800 additional guests from the Escape cruise that was cancelled.  The week started out thinking this cruise on the Joy might get cancelled because they lost an engine the previous week.  It was fix and everything was just fine.  I noticed the ship was super clean, every person washed there hands before going in dining rooms, no one touched food with their fingers on the buffet.  At the Main Pool, the Chair Hogs were alive and well. 

The one thing I notice was the crew enforced rules like, running in the pool area, washing hands, children in adult areas were asked to leave and check id for the Haven and the Vibe.  Finally, if the cruise brand had a policy or rule, they enforced them.  I saw no push back from any guests. Nice to see. Great cruise however I will NEVER do a Solo cruise again.  As I said earlier, I missed not having my wife with me.  Lesson learned.  I hope this review was helpful.

Stateroom (7 out of 10):  Cabin #9226 Club Balcony Suite (MC).  The amenities was two nice snacks throughout the week.  Just a little something.  One complementary bag of laundry that my wife will appreciate. The suite was kind of small but perfect for me.  King-sized bed, enough electrical outlets including USB by the bed. Enough storage for two including hanging clothes on a casual cruise week.  The balcony was a bit small yet accommodated two chairs and a small table very well.  The Bathroom was nice however the tub/shower has a very high side making it difficult to get in and out of when taking a shower.  You must hold onto the bar above the shower to be safe. The soaps and shampoo were ok.  Bring your own from home. The cabin came with a bottle of Sparking Wine which I gave to a honeymoon couple.  Really bad stuff that wine.  I had my room steward take all the “For Sale” Stuff out of the mini fridge so I could have room for other things I brought into the room. For the money, great room.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Overview: This was my first “Solo” Cruise on any cruise brand in over 25 cruises and 42 years. My first cruise was 42 years ago for my Honeymoon.  It was on the NCL SS Norway. At the time, the largest cruise ship in the world.  This is also the first time in a very long time that I have cruised was NOT in either the Haven, Celebrity Retreat or MSC Yacht Club.  I am known as “Mr. Haven” on the Cruisecritic.com NCL Boards, because I write about it the Haven so much. My threads are detailed and long. This cruise I am calling “Haven Lite”.  When you are a “Solo” cruiser, you must pay double to stay in the Haven. That was a too much for my blood. Let’s start the review with, “I had a GREAT Time and it truly surprised me!

Embarkment and Strategy:

Flights: I always fly in the day before a cruise.  ALWAYS.  This cruise was no exception. I traveled for business for my entire life, so I am a lifetime Platinum Elite member for Delta. This means I am always upgraded and know exactly how to handle flight delay with reduced stress.  There were weather issues this week, so I was perfectly suited to handle it and helped others through the stress.

Hotels: I always stay near the port so my morning cab/uber ride to the port is quick.  This time it was the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay.  I did this on Hotel Points to save some money.  It was a 7 out of 10 rating.

NCL Online Check-In: New to this cruise was NCL now does only a 21-day online check in. I was online and check in just as they let me do, so I could get the earliest boarding time.  My boarding time was 09:00 AM.  This was important because I wanted to get on the ship quick to get Vibe Beach pass before they were sold out.  I had the right strategy.

Embarkation Day: I had the Complementary Breakfast due to my elite status at the Marriott which was just OK.  I took an Uber for $15.00 to the port and arrived at 08:45 AM.  There was already a line, but it was not too long.  They did not allow you to enter the terminal until 09:30 AM. Once in the terminal, I was checked and waiting by the entry door in less than 12 minutes.  The secret was to have all your covid-19 test results, Covid card, Passport and NCL Boarding Barcode handy.  I had boarding group #1.

This was a bit different for me because I am usually in the Haven.  Yet it was relatively easy going.  They let the special needs in first then Highest Status then Boarding Group #1.  I shipped the Muster Drill station initially and went to the Teppanyaki Restaurant to get Vibe Beach Club Pass.  It is usually at guest service however not on the NCL Joy.  I was second on the line.  Please make note, if you want a Vibe pass it is $209.00 for the week and you need to be there to get it. You can’t order extra ones. They made a few exceptions on this cruise, but the Vibe was sold out in one hour.

Muster (9 out of 10): You go to your area; they ask you three times if you watched the NCL video link they sent you.  They register your suite card, and it is done.  Maybe 5 minutes tops with waiting. Much different then the old days of that crowded hot room somewhere.

Stateroom Ready at 01:30 PM: Unless you are in the Haven, don’t every try to go to your Stateroom until 01:30 PM.  Your room steward is working so hard to make it right for you.  Give them some time.

Vibe Beach Club (10 out of 10): My “Haven Lite” plan was in full motion.  I went to the Vibe Beach Club and was the first one there.  I used the rest room to get in my bathing suit and tea shirt.  I will now share my real experience with the Vibe.  Most of what I read on CruiseCritic.com that were negative was not accurate from my experience, which was excellent.

Once changed, the crew of the Vibe asked me which padded lounge chair I wanted.  They draped it with towels, got me an umbrella, brought me over a carafe of ice water and asked if I wanted a drink.  When you are at the port of Miami, you must pay tax on the drinks until they sail. FYI only. 

Now, that treatment was mind blowing and was much better than my recent cruise on the NCL Joy in November of 2021 in the Haven Sundeck.  What made the Vibe great for me was it had two Huge hot tubs, one on each side of the ship, a dedicated bar and a staff that catered to you.  Never ever crowded and if you ever went near the main pool, you would know what crowded looks like.  Just a place to chill and meet new people. My rating is a 10 out of 10.

The Premium Plus Drink Package (10 out of 10): I have a thread on CruiseCritic.com that I started two years ago and is active today on the NCL CruiseCritic.com blog.  It focuses on the Premium Plus Drink Package.  I love it. Not because I drink so much or that much more on a cruise.  Instead, so I can try items I would never try at home.  Please remember the theme of this trip is “Haven Lite”.  The Plus package helps that theme.  Every morning I had one or two Starbucks Coffees and every night I had a Starbucks specialty coffee. I was able to find the only two bottles of Tequila 1942 on the ship. At the “A List Bar” and the deck 15 Observation Lounge bar. This is the best Tequila I have ever had and at $40.00 per shot, the Premium Plus package was very handy.  Then there was the French Champagne.  I had one almost every night to start my dinner.  When you upgrade or buy a special package.  Have a plan and a strategy.  The plan is not to get drunk every night.  It is to enjoy and enhance your cruising enjoyment with things that you rarely could taste.  I felt like a “Rock Star”.

Dining Options:

Buffet (7 out of 10): I have not eaten at a cruise buffet in a very long time. Very bad experiences way back when.  This trip was different.  I had several breakfasts, one lunch and one dinner at the buffet.  Let’s start with breakfast.  I went to the omelet station and had them make me over easy eggs.  They were perfect.  Surprisingly the chunked potato was very good also.  The bagels were full sized and all you had to do was toast them twice. Smoked salmon was plentiful.  The last day, prior to leaving the ship, this should be your early morning destination.

Main Dining Room (7 out of 10): The service was GREAT.  They remembered my name after just visiting once.  This is where I had the best breakfasts.  The eggs benedicts I had twice, and they were great. If you want a waffle with your eggs, ask for it to be crispy and dry.  The sauce they put on them are way too sweet. My dinner was very good and better than I expected.  I had fish one night and it was lovely.

Cagney’s Steakhouse (9.5 out of 10): I have not eaten in Cagney’s in years.  My family does not like red meat, and I do. This is a Solo Cruise, so I started my first evening dining in Cagney’s. I ended up going a total of three times out of five specialty meals I had available.  That says something.  I here is a list of what I really liked; Oysters Rockefeller, Shrimp Cocktail, Blue Cheese Wedge Salad, Cesar Salad, 16 oz Rib Eye, 16 oz Prime Rib, and Lamb Chops.  The best item they had was the 7 Layer Cake that should not be missed. Ask for two scoops of ice cream. If you are on the NCL Joy, ask for Alex as your server.

Le Bistro (7.5 out of 10): This was a complementary dinner for two provided by American Express Platinum.  Not my favorite of the specialty restaurants.  The service is GREAT, but you really must know what to order. I know what I like so I was very lucky.  The Scallops Soup is really good followed by the Lamb.  With dinner I took full advantage of my upgraded Platinum Plus Drink Package with many glasses of French Champagne.  I skipped desert, which is not like me but sometimes, a simple meal is the best meal.

Teppanyaki Restaurant (8 out of 10): This is not the best food, but it is the best experience.  This was going to be different for me being a solo traveler.  The group you are with makes a difference. My group was very nice.  I bought a bottle of Champagne for the table. Lots of fun.  My choice was perfect.  Steak and Scallops.  Again, I skipped desert. 

The Shows (10 out of 10): Don’t miss the shows.  They are all great. It is easy to say, I am too tired.  Don’t, please go. The first night was the Beatles Revolutions which I so look forward to. Then I go to the Cavern Club other nights to see the rest of their sets.  Footloose is a bit long but outstanding.  It goes fast because there is no intermission.  Elements is amazing.  For this show, sit upfront center.  You will thank me for that advice.

Music (10 out of 10): My favorite place was the Sugar Cane Bar.  The group there every night was one of the best on the ship.  Just to people but full of energy.  When at this bar, say hello to the world-famous bartender “Bong”.  You can’t miss him; he is a star.  The atrium also has many great music selections.

Activities:

Water Slides (9 out of 10): I am 64 years old.  I love the water slides.  When it is a port day, the slides open at 02:00 PM.  That is when I am there.  If you have piercings in or jewelry on, you can’t use the slides. Ladies, no shorts.  Only bathing suits.  Don’t be afraid.  Why should kids have all the fun. It is a good idea to have someone at the bottom with your flip flops so you don’t have to walk on the very hot deck.

Go Carts (7 out of 10): This is fun but a one and done.  $15.00 which is fair.  The problem is the NCL Joy track was the first one they made.  It does not allow for passing so if you have someone slow in front of you, the activity is boring.  They changed this on the Bliss and the Encore.

Laser Tag (6 out of 10): Another one and done activity.  Fun but looks better then it is.  It is much more fun if you do this at night.

Virtual Reality (5 out of 10) The only thing worth doing is the Indy Car which is a separate fee.

Ports and Excursions: I have been on this itinerary before.  I have done lots of the Excursions.  None of them are all that great and most of them are too expensive.  On this cruise, I only left the ship on the Private Island because I like it so much.  I did a 60-minute walk then back on the ship.  The food and drink on the island it NOT complementary.  Our last cruise we had a Beach Villa which was expensive and amazing.  The food and drink bill were as much as another excursion.  I learned my lesson. I came on this cruise for the ship, not the ports.

Conclusion: This week was a wonderful week.  As a solo cruiser I did things differently.  I eat and drink far less then I usually do.  I spent more time in my stateroom looking at the water.  The Vibe Beach Club was the highlight of my entire week.  The deck 15 Observation Lounge was also a highlight. I noticed the pool was super crowded because the ship took on 800 additional guests from the Escape cruise that was cancelled.  The week started out thinking this cruise on the Joy might get cancelled because they lost an engine the previous week.  It was fix and everything was just fine.  I noticed the ship was super clean, every person washed there hands before going in dining rooms, no one touched food with their fingers on the buffet.  At the Main Pool, the Chair Hogs were alive and well. 

The one thing I notice was the crew enforced rules like, running in the pool area, washing hands, children in adult areas were asked to leave and check id for the Haven and the Vibe.  Finally, if the cruise brand had a policy or rule, they enforced them.  I saw no push back from any guests. Nice to see. Great cruise however I will NEVER do a Solo cruise again.  As I said earlier, I missed not having my wife with me.  Lesson learned.  I hope this review was helpful.

Stateroom (7 out of 10):  Cabin #9226 Club Balcony Suite (MC).  The amenities was two nice snacks throughout the week.  Just a little something.  One complementary bag of laundry that my wife will appreciate. The suite was kind of small but perfect for me.  King-sized bed, enough electrical outlets including USB by the bed. Enough storage for two including hanging clothes on a casual cruise week.  The balcony was a bit small yet accommodated two chairs and a small table very well.  The Bathroom was nice however the tub/shower has a very high side making it difficult to get in and out of when taking a shower.  You must hold onto the bar above the shower to be safe. The soaps and shampoo were ok.  Bring your own from home. The cabin came with a bottle of Sparking Wine which I gave to a honeymoon couple.  Really bad stuff that wine.  I had my room steward take all the “For Sale” Stuff out of the mini fridge so I could have room for other things I brought into the room. For the money, great room.

When did they start charging for food and drink on great stirrup cay? I know it has been 2 years since I cruised but last time I was there drinks at the beach bar didn’t cost me anything with my drink package and they put out a free buffet lunch. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheycallmeDrew said:

When did they start charging for food and drink on great stirrup cay? I know it has been 2 years since I cruised but last time I was there drinks at the beach bar didn’t cost me anything with my drink package and they put out a free buffet lunch. 

Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas) does not charge for food and drinks (if you have a  beverage package).

However, Harvest Caye, does, since it is not a exclusively NCL island the same way GSC is. The Harvest Caye island is run by locals, with a deal that NCLH settled prior to it's opening.

Edited by ggTexasGal
corrected info
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas) does not charge for food and drinks (if you have a  beverage package).

However, Harvest Caye, does, since it is not a exclusively NCL island the same way GSC is. The Harvest Caye island is run by locals, with a deal that NCLH settled prior to it's opening.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Embarkment and Strategy:

Dining Options:

Activities:

Hi, Gary et all

In the Haven risto having steak tartar and other goodies 😋 

Haven't searched for 1942 yet. Tomorrow is a sea day, so I bop around & check it out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Suite Heart said:

Hi, Gary et all

In the Haven risto having steak tartar and other goodies 😋 

Haven't searched for 1942 yet. Tomorrow is a sea day, so I bop around & check it out.

Hint: It is ONLY in the Deck 15 Observation Lounge Bar.  The one at the "A List Bar" is now GONE.  I had the last shot last night. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Strongly agree with you .Had an amazing time great to meet You.

19 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Embarkment and Strategy:

Dining Options:

Activities:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nrthrngary said:

Great Time and Great review. 

Great meeting you and your wife. Thank you so much for bringing me those Haven croissants in the morning. That was so kind of you.

Cruise well.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:40 PM, Sthrngary said:

I go to sleep early

lol, I didn't.  I was at the Cavern Club until 11:30 then spent a few more minutes chatting with Tina (from Argentina) and the other person running that last event, then meandering deck 8 for a bit before saying farewell to the people I ended up spending much of the cruise with.

34 minutes ago, hallux said:

lol, I didn't.  I was at the Cavern Club until 11:30 then spent a few more minutes chatting with Tina (from Argentina) and the other person running that last event, then meandering deck 8 for a bit before saying farewell to the people I ended up spending much of the cruise with.

You did it right.  Hope your cruise was wonderful.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You did it right.  Hope your cruise was wonderful.  

It was AMAZING!  I'm working on my review right now.  Posting a thread, I think I'll make a post for each day.

• Like 2