The Daily for Saturday 03/19/2022

richwmn

6 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’ve always enjoyed that quote, which Jim Henson wrote for Miss Piggy, as delivered by her.  I remember her using the line, before tossing her hair and marching offstage in that regal Miss Piggy way.

I wondered who that line was written for - I should have figured it out - since it mentioned hitting someone - classic Miss Piggy action.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Hello again, we just got home from the HAL Travel Show in Seattle at the pier.  We were both impressed, it was really well done and we're glad we went!  I'm sure glad DH doesn't mind driving into Seattle, because if it were up to me I wouldn't have gotten there.  Saturday traffic -- ugh!

Anyway, I expected we would just dash in and enter for the drawings, but we stayed an hour and a half.  We were given HAL bags as we entered and registered, and given "passport books".  There were 48 tables set up around the room where we could get our passport books stamped.  After filling the book with stamps, we could turn them in to the Alaska Airlines table for a chance to win 2 free tickets anywhere Alaska flies.  It was fun talking to the many people HAL brought down from Alaska such as McKinley Chalet Resort, White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad, etc. etc.  They had the huskies there too, they were a big hit.  The other drawings were for Alaska cruises and onboard credit.  

We're greeted by this as we entered 🙂   

1330856372_entrytravelshow.thumb.jpg.8e2aaa6c1e4cf9c19328c6ddfed345ab.jpg

One area of the room

363228321_travelshow.thumb.jpg.40f9d22b4ac44485b85a025b454388e5.jpg

You could make s'mores

1240734501_smores.thumb.jpg.fbe867b0d409ae836adb6304cb46f987.jpg

I realized after we left that it must have been Seth Wayne who stopped and offered to take our photo.  I wish I had realized it was him then, I would have asked him to pose with us. I kept thinking "he looks so familiar".....

us.thumb.jpg.a998a9e9f4e68be1c573dfb522a19463.jpg

husky.jpg.3b7177d2196a7402c95651120afbe48b.jpg

huskies.jpg.1f83cb9b3609d10d7451aeffcc9a051f.jpg

doggie.jpg.04d83886077a0e0a4d81bd4cef28bd0f.jpg

Panning for gold station

597649055_goldpanning.thumb.jpg.ba36ba172ed96b5b50a5001be3beff3b.jpg

Alaska beer samples

1900020193_freebeer.thumb.jpg.77b25348d2e8345f7da0c78f51319b77.jpg

1106525555_DenaliSquare.jpg.73b451599cf8791ea3b165690bd80cca.jpg

849802033_Denalientertainment.jpg.facb4190ee8654eeb5613d32744d35b8.jpg

Axe throwing

1210229210_axethrowing.jpg.eca4e9e866b24f9d2c6da097824b8093.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Well, today I did something completely out of character.  I normally book pretty basic cabins under the theory I would rather be on the best possible ship and cruise more rather than spend a lot of money on the cabin.  I still like that philosophy BUT:

2 years ago March 16 I was thrown off Queen Mary 2 in Perth.  Cunard was actually pretty nice about it putting me up in a Perth hotel until they could fly me home, and they gave me my ENTIRE fare for 40 days as a LARGE future cruise credit.  I think my days of long cruises are over and I need to use that credit which is not easy as Cunard's offerings from North America are pretty limited.  They have an annual late September round trip New York to Quebec that looked like a likely candidate.  I found the cabin I wanted in 2022 was already sold out so I went to 2023 in Princess Grill.  That is so not me! but it's booked and I still have some credit that needs a home.

What I have so far is:

Adventure of the Seas May 19-24-29 Bayonne to Bermuda and then Halifax in basic balcony cabins

Eurodam November 19-29 Panama Canal Sunfarer Oceanview cabin

Queen Mary 2 New England and Canada September 23-October 7 Princess Grill.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well, today I did something completely out of character.  I normally book pretty basic cabins under the theory I would rather be on the best possible ship and cruise more rather than spend a lot of money on the cabin.  I still like that philosophy BUT:

2 years ago March 16 I was thrown off Queen Mary 2 in Perth.  Cunard was actually pretty nice about it putting me up in a Perth hotel until they could fly me home, and they gave me my ENTIRE fare for 40 days as a LARGE future cruise credit.  I think my days of long cruises are over and I need to use that credit which is not easy as Cunard's offerings from North America are pretty limited.  They have an annual late September round trip New York to Quebec that looked like a likely candidate.  I found the cabin I wanted in 2022 was already sold out so I went to 2023 in Princess Grill.  That is so not me! but it's booked and I still have some credit that needs a home.

What I have so far is:

Adventure of the Seas May 19-24-29 Bayonne to Bermuda and then Halifax in basic balcony cabins

Roy

Why not?  I can’t wait to hear your review!   It will be an experience.

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

What I have so far is:

Roy

Roy, 

When you have a minute could you send me an email as I have a question for you about your future cruises.

My email is by CC nickname @gmail.com 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

What I have so far is:

Roy

That's wonderful!   I have three cruises booked for 2022.  That I can't believe.   Normally I am one and done for the year.   I have the same philosophy as you on cabins.  I'd rather spend the money on shore experiences or other aspects of the vacation.  We truly don't spend much time in our cabin and have had great cruises in inside cabins.  But, you only go around once, so you might as well make it fun now and then.  Enjoy!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

What I have so far is:

Roy

Too bad the Queen Mary doesn't go out of Bayonne.  I do not want to go into the city.  

I am doing ADV OTS this year to New England.  I decided against Bermuda since they want TA and are requiring testing 1 day before getting off the ship.   will skip Bermuda this year because ship can't get there in 1 day.

• Like 5

With travel resuming and DH retired, our dream includes a few days in Barcelona and a return home on a cruise,  every October or November for as long as possible! Transatlantic trips filled with sea days=the good life! 

We enjoyed a nice dinner at the Canaletto this evening on the Zuiderdam. Good food and so nice to sit near people and learn about their lives, especially fun to find out more about HAL ships & the fine itineraries. A nightcap of Maker’s Mark (no ginger ale tonight 🙂) at the Crow’s Nest wrapped up a good day. 

• Like 14

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

What I have so far is:

Roy

Look like great cruises Roy.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rafinmd said:

What I have so far is:

Roy

Congratulations, Roy! I completely agree with your theory that it’s better to have a bigger cruise than a bigger cabin. However, life is all about experiences and it’s important to check out the suite life at some point. Enjoy!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, rafinmd said:

What I have so far is:

Roy

@rafinmd  Roy - Congratulations on your bookings! How thrilling for you! Really. I think the pandemic has many people re-evaluating how they do future travel.

For instance, we booked a balcony for our December 2021 cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Our concern was being able to access 'the outside' if a COVID outbreak occurred.

For December 2022, we have gone crazy, using up FCC from who knows how many booked then cancelled cruises. DH thought it would be very nice to celebrate his 80th and our 32nd in a balcony suite. Then we won a Bingo cruise last December and have added another week to the Birthday/Anniversary (for us) extravaganza - we have never, ever done a 3-week anything.

We have also booked a Med cruise for Oct 2023 on Azamara. Since it is so port-intensive, we have opted for an inside cabin (which we did for years).

We want to do stuff while we can. As one sage Dailyite wrote recently (I paraphrase) --  In retirement there are three stages of travel: Go Go, Slow Go and No Go. We think we are at the Slow Go stage and want to get in what we can before the dreaded No Go.

Wishing you all sorts of fun planning your upcoming adventures.

-Cat

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1