Pickleball

plank

Do any Celebrity ships have pickleball?  I see many are making the courts into Retreat area. Such a shame. Have played on Oasis class with RCL. I feel more people would enjoy having it than a retreat area. I guess it is more about the ka-ching. It's kinda a senior activity but so many younger people are starting to enjoy it.

15 minutes ago, plank said:

Do any Celebrity ships have pickleball?  I see many are making the courts into Retreat area. Such a shame. Have played on Oasis class with RCL. I feel more people would enjoy having it than a retreat area. I guess it is more about the ka-ching. It's kinda a senior activity but so many younger people are starting to enjoy it.

Have not seen it on any Edge class ships. Also wasn't on Equinox last year.

23 hours ago, plank said:

They did have times to use the sports court for pickle ball on the Equinox.  It was like 1.5 hour blocks on certain days.  There was a tournament one day.   You could sign out equipment at Guest Relations.  

It is a Senior activity.  In our area, it  is not popular with the younger people-- unless you consider those in their mid-60's as being younger than the typical pickle ball player.  😀

Let's not talk about pickleball! I ruptured my patella tendon exactly one year ago playing! Had major surgery on my left knee, lol! I ruptured my right patella tendon playing hoop years ago and have had 3 surgeries on it, lol! But in all honestly, pickleball is a cool sport, but I can no longer play 😞

I've played pickleball a couple of times and it's ok but give me tennis any day. I guess there's no room for tennis on board so I'd be happy to play some pickleball as a "better than nothing". Just don't tell me it's better than tennis. 

4 hours ago, Andrewgary said:

I've played pickleball a couple of times and it's ok but give me tennis any day. I guess there's no room for tennis on board so I'd be happy to play some pickleball as a "better than nothing". Just don't tell me it's better than tennis. 

Totally agree.  Pickleball is a good sport for those who don't have the 'legs' for tennis anymore. On our cruise, cruisers at the Retreat were complaining about the noise of the wiffle balls hitting the paddles.  

• 8 months later...

We were on the Summit in Sept. 2022. There was a net and wooden paddles in the cabinets by the sports court. The net was in poor condition and paddles were heavy, but we could play and the court had lines for pickleball. When I asked the social director, she added it to the daily agenda on several days. A new net had been ordered but hadn’t arrived yet. 

I’m hoping pickleball will be available on the Equinox on our next cruise! If anyone has played pickleball on the Equinox, let me know!

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2022 at 4:49 PM, keesar said:

They did have times to use the sports court for pickle ball on the Equinox.  It was like 1.5 hour blocks on certain days.  There was a tournament one day.   You could sign out equipment at Guest Relations.  

It is a Senior activity.  In our area, it  is not popular with the younger people-- unless you consider those in their mid-60's as being younger than the typical pickle ball player.  😀

Pickleball is no longer a senior sport. Equinox has a court but the lines are not regulation even though there is room. Still, something to do on the ship and great for meeting people.

On 3/24/2022 at 4:07 PM, keesar said:

Totally agree.  Pickleball is a good sport for those who don't have the 'legs' for tennis anymore. On our cruise, cruisers at the Retreat were complaining about the noise of the wiffle balls hitting the paddles.  

Just off the Ascent and pickleball was in the Roof Top Garden area.  From what I recall from the dailies it was available in the mornings.  Probably a good idea as it is where the big screen is located and they showed movies & NFL playoff there afternoons and evenings. 

On 3/19/2022 at 2:42 PM, plank said:

Our Celebrity post shut down cruises pickleball was in full swing on the Summit, Apex and Eclipse. No way just a senior activity on those cruises. 

Edited by doghog

On 3/19/2022 at 3:58 PM, lv2cruisgrl said:

Have not seen it on any Edge class ships. Also wasn't on Equinox last year.

On the E-class ships they set up a court in the rooftop garden area.

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

Just off the Ascent and pickleball was in the Roof Top Garden area.  From what I recall from the dailies it was available in the mornings.  Probably a good idea as it is where the big screen is located and they showed movies & NFL playoff there afternoons and evenings. 

I was on the Ascent during one of the pre maiden sailings and they had pickleball in the location stated above.  I do remember that the turnout was more than expected and they had to cancel one of the events since it was too many people gathering in the small area

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

No pickleball time during family game time and movie time in the Roof Top Garden. There were specific hours each day.  Note in the daily.