Easter on HAL ships - what to expect.

Cruisepucks

If plans work out as we hope, we will be on a HAL ship this year on Easter Sunday. (It will be a port day for us.)

Would those of you who have HAL Easter experience please let us know if HAL does anything special for Easter? While we've been on a dozen or so HAL cruises, we've never been on board for any of the traditional holiday festivities. 

Thanks for passing along any information about Easter on HAL ships. We are so looking forward to dusting off the passports and getting on a ship again.

Enjoy the weekend.

We sailed on the Zaandam during Holy Week in 2019. I do not remember any special decorations or events planned by HAL. We did have a wonderful time meeting with others for Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Resurrection Sunday. The protestant services were led by the congregation; HAL was very accommodating with making the Hudson Room available and providing bread and juice for communion.

The Catholic contingent met every day, even though the priest was taken off the ship with a medical emergency in Peru where he ended up dying. Another priest joined the ship later in the ABC islands.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

Does anyone know if there will be an Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday?

There should be, as long as a priest is on board. I have been hearing that some of the recent cruises have sailed without a priest. 

I was on once years ago when there was an open seating Easter brunch buffet in the main dining room which was packed as I recall - waiters carrying trays of mimosas had to slide through the crowd with difficulty. There was a person in an Easter Bunny costume with some activities for kids. I don’t think they do that anymore.

• Like 1

We have been on a few HAL cruises at Easter (generally doing repositioning cruises to Europe) and do not recall anything overly special other than a few decorations in the atrium.  I imagine they also had ham and perhaps turkey on the dinner menu.  This year we will be on a Seabourn cruise for Easter (part of the HAL Group) and are curious if they do anything special.

Hank

The Easter season cruise that I remember was on the original Royal Princess.  Protestant and Catholic clergy were aboard.  An excellent Good Friday service was held in the ship's movie theater (and was well attended).  Easter morning, a Sunrise service was scheduled on an open deck.  Because of wind conditions, the service had to be moved to the nearby Horizon Lounge.  Again, well attended.  Later in the morning, an interdenominational service was conducted on the aft open deck with the Captain leading the service and providing the message for the day.  The Atrium outside the Dining Room was decorated with displays of goodies from the Galley's bakers.  No memory of a special menu, however.  

Sailing on HAL during Easter, I don't recall anything that elaborate.  Decorations erected in certain venues?  Yes.  Easter services?  If clergy are aboard, yes, I would expect at least an interdenominational service.  But, I would not count on it during this era of cruising,  

• Like 1

Check for possible Easter brunch. Our Eurodam sailing shows you can sign up for a brunch served in Pinnacle Grill. We have had wonderful gathering led by the congregation or a pastor on longer cruises if one was onboard. Think there is service chg for the brunch