2 questions from a new to P and O.

Photo Andy

Hello all

1.  can you self disembark?  pros and cons please. We each will have a rucksack and 1 suitcase only.

2. can you carry on diet caffeine free cola (no trade names). Not interested in carry on alcohol just diet caffeine cola for in the cabin.

Thanks

Derej. 

We always used to self disembark. Pros for us - earlier disembark time which was great for our long drive home. Need to be fit ! Then my parents joined us and they couldn’t possibly manage so we don’t do it any longer, plus our last few cruises pre-pandemic were quite long - 19 and 35 nights so we had more luggage. We might decide to self disembark again if we only go for a week. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Photo Andy said:

Hello all

1.  can you self disembark?  pros and cons please. We each will have a rucksack and 1 suitcase only.

2. can you carry on diet caffeine free cola (no trade names). Not interested in carry on alcohol just diet caffeine cola for in the cabin.

Thanks

Derej. 

Yes to both, I would check on the P&O website or wait until confirmed that plastic bottles of cola may not be allowed as P&O are committed to reducing single use plastics and I am sure I have seen something stating no plastic bottles?

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments and suggestions.  Please may I add a supplementary question:

If we decide to self-disembark, could we leave our suitcases and rucksacks in the cabin while we go for an early breakfast - then return to the cabin to freshen up and collect our luggage?  Or do we need to take it all up to breakfast with us?

Regarding the other topic - we will be taking cans of diet caffeine free cola (appreciate and agree with the comments about plastic bottles).

Thanks,

Derek

17 minutes ago, Photo Andy said:

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments and suggestions.  Please may I add a supplementary question:

If we decide to self-disembark, could we leave our suitcases and rucksacks in the cabin while we go for an early breakfast - then return to the cabin to freshen up and collect our luggage?  Or do we need to take it all up to breakfast with us?

Regarding the other topic - we will be taking cans of diet caffeine free cola (appreciate and agree with the comments about plastic bottles).

Thanks,

Derek

I would imagine that would be OK, we always leave our hand luggage there when we go for breakfast.

• Like 1

We never leave anything in the cabin. When we used to self disembark, we would have gone for breakfast and would be back in the cabin before the time given to vacate the cabin. And for the most recent cruises, when we only had hand luggage, we took it with us as we wouldn’t have finished breakfast before the given time. But that’s just me - I tend to stick to the rules! You also see the doors wide open and I wouldn’t like anything to ‘disappear’ as our hand luggage contains our devices etc. 

15 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

Thanks,

Derek

As long as you are out of your cabin by the required time (8 ish?) you should be fine. 

But you will face issues getting on lifts with all your luggage at a later time. 

17 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

Thanks,

Derek

I’ve always left my carry off luggage in the cabin to go for an early breakfast with the “do not disturb” sign outside - but I’m always back to clear the cabin by 0745 to give the stewards time to get everything cleared etc.
Generally they will be about very early in the nearby corridor and will appreciate you telling them you will be back very shortly!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I’ve always left my carry off luggage in the cabin to go for an early breakfast with the “do not disturb” sign outside - but I’m always back to clear the cabin by 0745 to give the stewards time to get everything cleared etc.
Generally they will be about very early in the nearby corridor and will appreciate you telling them you will be back very shortly!

Yes, same here. I also tell the cabin attendant that I won't use any of the facilities when I come back if they want to go in and start stripping the bed and remove the towels etc.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, clearblueseas said:

Self disembarkation is easy. They give you an allotted time and you just walk straight off down a ramp. Easy.

Just walk straight off down a ramp?

Once you have negotiated the corridors, lifts and, possibly, stairs!

Edited by Pine Man
  • Haha 2

We always self-disembark and leave everything in the cabin while we go for an early breakfast (I think the MDR opens as 6.30?).  Then back to the cabin, freshen up, grab everything and go, well before 8.00am.

Must admit have had problems getting a lift a few times and have had to negotiate the stairs with suitcase, suit carrier and hand luggage each!  Old hands at it now.

Michele