Sailing on Iona for our first family holiday

Alicop21

Hello, I’ve just joined the community.

My wife and I sailed on Ventura (P&O) 13 years ago for our honeymoon and we haven’t sailed since.

we’ve got two kids now (9 and 7) and we have our first family holiday in 5 years booked on Iona for 7 nights in April.

We’ve been really excited but today I’ve read quite a few negative threads on here about the Iona (too big/bad food choice/the booking app isn’t great etc) and now I’ve got my first tingle of worry.

Can some people give me some hints and tips so we can avoid some of the first timer mistakes?

• Like 1

Hello Alicop21, I’ve not long returned off Iona from a 3 week cruise so I had plenty of time to explore the ship , please do not worry over the negative thoughts of others who don’t like Iona , we all have different thoughts of what we like . I’m sure you will have a wonderful time and I think your children are a good age to experience this ship with the many swimming pools on different deck and the large hot tubs which they are allowed in over the age of 8 , plenty of entertainment for them in the sky dome in the evenings, and then as I’m sure you know the kids club and the 4 pictures studio’s.

when you get on board get your P&O app put on your phone straight away and start planning your entertainment and specialty restaurants and book them up especially the olive grove for lunch as this gets booked up quickly, you can always cancel later, go to reception to get when your formal night is on and plan around that , chef’s table on formal night is a slightly different menu to the mdr, if you are doing this que up at least 20 mins before time , also if booking to go in limelight club que at least 30 before doors open to have a table in front of stage . Breakfast in the keys (quays) is brilliant especially  the pancakes with chocolate sauce, blueberry compote & cream and not forgetting the waffles 😋 the only thing we didn’t try was the ice cream parlour.

Yes she is a big ship and made for families so you will have all age groups on her ., face mask to be worn when walking around indoors and in theatre, including children over the age of 6 or 8 I think it was , 

So back to your app on your phone this will tell you about all your entertainment for the week so book your times ahead the 8.30 show is popular so gets booked up quickly, then you’re see all the dining restaurants these give you only 2 times on the app I think 5.30 & 6.30 if you don’t want to eat that early you can join the virtual que when ever your ready to eat and you will not wait long for a table .

The food is lovely no complaints about that and the staff are lovely 

Enjoy your holiday it’s what you make of it and nobody else , I hope I’ve given you some tips , I could go on & on but I think I’ve said enough for tonight, maybe someone else will give you some more tips , anymore questions just ask we’re all here to help each other .

Welcome to cruise critic.

• Like 2

Try not to worry about the negative comments as sometimes it is easier for people to vent just those online than positives. Besides, everyone has different tastes and expectations.

I found it to be a lovely ship, with a good choice of things to do - and not to do if you fancy lounging around from time to time! - and a good number of venues to eat. Ok, I found the food to be pretty basic and pub-like in the MDRs, but fine for what it is and for what P and O are aiming for (it’s a good cruise experience but not really a high-end cruise experience - and that’s fine), so it was pretty much in keeping. But there are plenty of opportunities for special meals elsewhere on board. Good entertainment, too: something for everyone.

The booking website you use onboard is great. When it was first rolled out it was shockingly poor (well IT competence and P&O will never be besties!) but we found it worked brilliantly on our last cruise a few months ago. Really impressed with it.

I am sure you will have a great time as soon as you step on Iona.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the lovely feedback. Nice to wake up to this morning.

Can I ask: can you download the app prior to boarding so you can get familiar with it or is it an onboard only thing?

Also, does anyone know what films have been on recently in the on-board cinemas? We’re sailing over Easter so I imagine some might be Easter themed for our cruise but just wondering what other sorts are on.

One more (sorry): are all the pools heated or just the one in the sky dome?

Thank you, thank you.

22 minutes ago, Alicop21 said:

Can I ask: can you download the app prior to boarding so you can get familiar with it or is it an onboard only thing?

Also, does anyone know what films have been on recently in the on-board cinemas? We’re sailing over Easter so I imagine some might be Easter themed for our cruise but just wondering what other sorts are on.

Thank you, thank you.

I think you can download the App when you are in the terminal before you board. Actually it is not a real App but a number of pages on the ships internal network. I have the 'app' on my phone from last August and hopefully it will not need re-installing 🤞

I down loaded before I went so it was already on my home page but obviously not connected to ships Wi-Fi , all pools were heated, films we had changed every 4/5 days included the latest James Bond film , the latest Walt Disney film Encanto, Ron’s gone wrong, Cruella Deville, The Adams family,  Fast & Furious 9 , Big Red dog, and a few more that we’d already seen but I can’t remember, also there are a lot of films on your tv to watch in the cabin , but again I must say you had to get there early to get a seat because it’s social distance, only about 40 seats available in each studio.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alicop21 said:

My wife and I sailed on Ventura (P&O) 13 years ago for our honeymoon and we haven’t sailed since.

we’ve got two kids now (9 and 7) and we have our first family holiday in 5 years booked on Iona for 7 nights in April.

We’ve been really excited but today I’ve read quite a few negative threads on here about the Iona (too big/bad food choice/the booking app isn’t great etc) and now I’ve got my first tingle of worry.

Can some people give me some hints and tips so we can avoid some of the first timer mistakes?

I really wouldn’t worry. The larger ships offer a different experience to the smaller ships and the passenger profile is different, but I would say that with children you are far better off on the newest ships. I don’t know what the current situation is with kids clubs (I.e. whether the ‘because of Covid’ line is being used as an excuse for reduced service) , but when our children were the age of yours they were in the kids clubs most of the day and loved every minute.

We haven’t been on Iona yet (we are booked for next year) but we have been on all the others. Whilst the bigger ships have huge passenger numbers, they are spread over a much bigger area, so we don’t feel that they are ‘busier’. Also, you have far more dining and entertainment choices and significantly more updated cabin facilities on the newest ships. 

Our two favourite P&O ships are Aurora and Britannia, the smallest and 2nd largest ships - although Britannia was the largest ship in the fleet on the 3 occasions that we sailed in her. Even so, both have pros and cons compared to the other. However, with kids the age of yours I would be booking Iona. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 6:46 PM, Alicop21 said:

Welcome to our forum.

We got off Iona on Saturday after a 14 night cruise.

This was our 57th cruise on P&O,Royal Caribbean,Princess and NCL and been on small,medium and the largest ships.

Absolutely loved it.

The only cabins I would avoid are deck 8 promenade cabins and possibly deck 9.

The food and service was excellent.

Lots of places to go for food.

Plenty of sunbeds.

Kids clubs.

Nice bars.

Graham.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alicop21 said:

Thank you, thank you.

The app is easy to use.

Go to the My holiday desk on deck 6 when you board and they will set the app up on your phone for you.

The app only works through the ships WIFI and put your phone in Airplane mode.

We didn't watch any films but spoke to a few people who raved about the film's.

There are a number of Jacuzzis on the ship especially around deck 8 promenade deck.

Graham.

On 3/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, Alicop21 said:

Howdy @Alicop21 and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!  emo22.gif

Cruise Critic is a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad emo34.gif you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

For information about our famous Roll Calls, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more info please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. Also, check out the following Cruise Critic articles: 8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call and Top 8 Things You Can Do on the Cruise Critic Message Boards to Enhance Your Cruise

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! emo49.gif See How To: Submit a Member Review.

Hope this will be helpful to a new member and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

On 3/20/2022 at 6:46 PM, Alicop21 said:

Just off Iona and you are in for a treat!!

Great ship...yes she is large but it didn't really feel it was...well, apart from when you had to walk the length of a corridor!! Her decor is very minimalist and scandi colours. There are 3 stairways and the 'art' is in different colours. Blue at the front, grey in the middle and red/blue at the rear. Can set up wifi once in terminal. Only warning, keep your flight mode on at all times on the ship so you do not incur any charges. The App works without data.

There were 4 different films each day at the 'cinemas' . These were also available on your TV in the cabin (which is a 50" screen!). One film each day was for the kids. Great little infinity pools around deck 8 for a different experience...has a glass side!

Ship is so good, we have booked 2 more cruises on her.....Enjoy...

Chris

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

Just off Iona and you are in for a treat!!

Great ship...yes she is large but it didn't really feel it was...well, apart from when you had to walk the length of a corridor!! Her decor is very minimalist and scandi colours. There are 3 stairways and the 'art' is in different colours. Blue at the front, grey in the middle and red/blue at the rear. Can set up wifi once in terminal. Only warning, keep your flight mode on at all times on the ship so you do not incur any charges. The App works without data.

There were 4 different films each day at the 'cinemas' . These were also available on your TV in the cabin (which is a 50" screen!). One film each day was for the kids. Great little infinity pools around deck 8 for a different experience...has a glass side!

Ship is so good, we have booked 2 more cruises on her.....Enjoy...

Chris

I agree with you Chris.

We booked another Iona cruise yesterday for next year and secured the same aft balcony cabin.

Graham.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I agree with you Chris.

We booked another Iona cruise yesterday for next year and secured the same aft balcony cabin.

Graham.

It seems that quite a few of us like Iona. We are going again in October, but will squeeze in Silhouette and Anthem first.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I agree with you Chris.

Graham.

We have booked 2 more for this year!! + 1 on (dare I say it)...MSC...

Chris

p.s. I think I saw your wife on board as saw her in one of your pics on another thread..

• Like 1