Will Viking ever end daily Covid testing?

basenji56

According to an email from Viking for our upcoming late April Med cruise, today (1 April) the shipboard policy is changed. Come aboard, take test, wander around with mask on, get [negative] results, take off mask (optionally). Ashore policy must comply with country rules.

I'm hoping the aviation rules are relaxed on April 19th. We'll probably still wear masks, but it'll be good for flight attendants' morale to not be the mask police.

16 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Speaking of all things covid-related, I have a question relative to this policy:  

Guests may take a COVID-19 antigen test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 24 hours prior to boarding your first outbound flight from your home country.  

If I'm doing an international trip and have, for example, a 7 p.m. flight, I assume the testing protocol means that I can't take the test before 7 p.m. the day before...is that right?

Given that most local testing sites don't operate that late in the evening, this almost forces me to schedule a test the day of departure - which is really awkward given everything else that needs to be done that day - including transportation time to the airport.

I'm stressed even thinking about it. Our most recent experience with scheduling a pre-cruise covid (antigen) test did not go well in that they canceled our appointment around midnight before the following morning's scheduled test time. I had to scramble to schedule an alternative. It wasn't too much of a big deal given that I had to take the test no more than 2 days before the cruise. But this 24 hour timeframe I'm not digging too much. I have no interest whatsoever in trying to finagle a test at the airport. 

Further complicating the situation is that we're doing a 3-day extension before the cruise, so how does that work? I know Viking indicates they will provide specific info on MVJ but just trying to think ahead on how all this will play out. During the extension will they require another test pre-embarkation? 

If yours is an official Viking extension, a PCR testing station will be set up at your designated Viking hotel. This was the information given to us by Viking.

If, like us, you’re staying on your own independent of Viking, the most stress free option is to order a proctored/supervised test kit from eMed.com. It’s pricey at $150 for a kit of six individual tests, plus tax and overnight FedEx shipping (total was about $180 for us). You have to download the Navica app and register preferably before you leave the US. Then, within 24 hours of EMBARKATION, make sure you have reliable wifi, place the UNOPENED test kit and your passport on a flat surface, and select the option in the app to start the test. The response from eMed is prompt. Though the clinicians proctoring the test are based outside the US, they’re patient in giving the instructions and easy enough to understand. You will need to prop your phone or laptop so that it can focus on your face for identification and later on the test itself for the entire process. The test is completed in 15 minutes and the certification is available in the app and via email shortly after. 

We did ours at 7pm ahead of a 3pm embarkation.

For our return to the US, we were relieved to learn that the test needs to be done in the 24 hours BEFORE THE FIRST TICKETED DEPARTURE, as long as the transit stops and connecting flights are all booked as one ticket. If you have separate flights booked, you can do the eMed antigen test anywhere with reliable wifi, even at an airport.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, austinetc said:

According to an email from Viking for our upcoming late April Med cruise, today (1 April) the shipboard policy is changed. Come aboard, take test, wander around with mask on, get [negative] results, take off mask (optionally). Ashore policy must comply with country rules.

I'm hoping the aviation rules are relaxed on April 19th. We'll probably still wear masks, but it'll be good for flight attendants' morale to not be the mask police.

Today is March 31

6 hours ago, ebdb said:

If yours is an official Viking extension, a PCR testing station will be set up at your designated Viking hotel. This was the information given to us by Viking.

This is what we're doing, but thanks also for the info on independent travel!  

In my MVJ, I just received an updated 'Important Pre-Departure Information - Travel Requirements' document (dated 4/1/22 and replacing the prior 3/17/22 document).

Highlighted in yellow is the only major change I see for this update: the requirement for a test prior to the first Viking activity if doing any independent travel before meeting up with Viking schedule is gone. There is no longer any mention of it. Good riddance!

There is no longer a section that highlights the policy change that effective 4/1/22 that "Face Masks will not be required for guests. Instead, it is merely mentioned in passing that your embarkation negative test that you can remove your mask.

The one ironic note I see here, I circled in red. "Viking's requirements above will satisfy Norway's entry requirements."

But, Norway does not require any tests for entry!

Coronavirus and travelling to Norway (visitnorway.com)

Screenshot1 2022-040122.png

Sooo … if I’m understanding this correctly, Viking says we’ll need to get a test a day or two before we board our plane to the UK. Then we’re going to spend about 4 days toodling around on our own before heading over to our cruise. So what was the point again for taking a test 5-6 days before our actual cruise, especially since the UK doesn’t require it?

Never mind. None of it makes sense. I should stop expecting it to.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Sooo … if I’m understanding this correctly, Viking says we’ll need to get a test a day or two before we board our plane to the UK. Then we’re going to spend about 4 days toodling around on our own before heading over to our cruise. So what was the point again for taking a test 5-6 days before our actual cruise, especially since the UK doesn’t require it?

LOL! You are so right!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 11:28 PM, Twitchly said:

We're in the same boat.  As worded, the testing for folks who are doing several days on their own before their cruise, is not clear and is up for interpretation.  That means, if we call Viking several times, we'll likely get different answers.

It's easier and cheaper for us to do a test in the US than on the road, so we'll just do the test before our first international flight, 10 days before we board.  Doesn't make sense, but its easy to do.  Not planning on asking if this is correct.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jtwind said:

As worded, the testing for folks who are doing several days on their own before their cruise, is not clear and is up for interpretation.

You are correct.  Even DH and I are interpreting it differently from each other.  We are hoping that their position will become clearer in the next couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, jtwind said:

It's easier and cheaper for us to do a test in the US than on the road, so we'll just do the test before our first international flight, 10 days before we board.  Doesn't make sense, but its easy to do.  Not planning on asking if this is correct.

Yup. Sounds like a plan. From what I can tell, Viking hasn’t prevented anyone from cruising if they messed up the pre-test. They just test you when you board. 

Just received an update on the April 1, 2022 'Important Pre-Departure Information - Travel Requirements' (also dated April 1). It still does not specify that independent travel prior to joining a pre-excursion requires and additional test at least that is how I interpret it.

It does, however, acknowledge that the pre-flight test is now solely a Viking mandate and that Norway does not have a testing requirement.

Screenshot 2022-04-03 144505.png

We have two 9-ish week trips in the coming months. We almost added a Viking cruise to the end of one of them. According to the above policy, we would not be allowed to board  without a test that was over 2 months old. 

As it turns out, we have a Viking cruise 6 days into the second trip. We will board that one with a test that is over a week old. 

Strange times we live in. I shall jump through the various required hoops as traveling is better than not traveling. 

• Like 1

As I posted on other threads, there is still a requirement to test negative before flying back to the US.  I'll choose testing, mask wearing, and distancing over quarantining with a mild or asymptomatic case.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, jtwind said:

As I posted on other threads, there is still a requirement to test negative before flying back to the US.  I'll choose testing, mask wearing, and distancing over quarantining with a mild or asymptomatic case.

To me the issue is that you very easily could test positive with no symptoms and have to quarantine or be removed… even though you faithfully mask and social distance on Viking.  It’s happened to others.  Only way to avoid is “self-quarantine “ and not eat in WC or restaurants, don’t go ashore or on excursions, or the Star Theatre or basically don’t enjoy the cruise.  Doesn’t make sense to me.

• Like 6

I could totally enjoy a cruise that had mask wearing and distancing on tours, in restaurants, theaters, etc.  I don't understand why anyone would have a problem.  To me, it makes no sense to relax the restrictions before the reentry test requirement is gone.  Allowing full capacity with no precautions is what would make me want to stay out of the restaurants and theater.  Think about it.

• Like 4

What am I missing? I'd much rather know that everyone in close contact with me does NOT have Covid. If there are no tests, then I'll find out that I was in close contact only when I become ill? Seems like a no brainer to continue testing as long as the disease is as prevalent as it currently is. Frankly, cases are trending up in many, many locales, not down.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Seems absurd that Viking are still stuck on zero covid, when the countries visited on a cruise have moved on to endemic, rather than pandemic, with vaccine requirements. 

I think Viking is just slow in its reaction to evolving events.

Do we test daily to be able to enter supermarkets, department stores, sporting events or schools? If not, why not? The virus is endemic: vaxxing, therapeutics, sanitation protocols, natural immunity and herd immunity have mitigated the overall risk for serious consequences - the health authorities in many countries have acknowledged this already.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

I think Viking is just slow in its reaction to evolving events.

Do we test daily to be able to enter supermarkets, department stores, sporting events or schools? If not, why not? The virus is endemic: vaxxing, therapeutics, sanitation protocols, natural immunity and herd immunity have mitigated the overall risk for serious consequences - the health authorities in many countries have acknowledged this already.

Yet, we still have to be tested to fly home.  So, as long as that is in place, I'm going to take extra precautions when traveling overseas.

• Like 3

When Viking had a firm commitment to distancing, mask wearing, and testing, folks had a choice of whether Viking was right for them or not.  But this period in which Viking is pulling the plug on certain restriction without much notice is a little sketchy for some of us, especially with the reentry tests still required.  We purchased these trips with lots of rules in effect.  Now, many are gone, and we kinda feel like guinea pigs.  I'm still going to have a great time, but the combination of no masking or distancing restrictions, along with continued reentry tests, means the theater is probably a no go for me.  I'll just substitute more time on shore so that I'll be too worn out to go to a show.