Will Viking ever end daily Covid testing?

basenji56

With the April 1 mask policy change, anyone onboard a Viking ship where the "up to daily testing" is not actually every day?

Also with the new embarkation policy of being able to leave your stateroom after testing, how long does it usually take to get the results? 

Edited by voyager23

7 hours ago, voyager23 said:

With the April 1 mask policy change, anyone onboard a Viking ship where the "up to daily testing" is not actually every day?

Also with the new embarkation policy of being able to leave your stateroom after testing, how long does it usually take to get the results? 

They won’t tell you if you’re negative. So if the ship takes off on time, all is good. (Unless they’re going to quarantine you on the ship should you test positive!)

On 4/3/2022 at 6:56 PM, CCWineLover said:

To me the issue is that you very easily could test positive with no symptoms and have to quarantine or be removed… even though you faithfully mask and social distance on Viking.  It’s happened to others.  

This is my big concern, and am seriously thinking of canceling our upcoming May cruise. Just did one (not Viking) with no daily testing and felt reasonably relaxed onboard. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

This is my big concern, and am seriously thinking of canceling our upcoming May cruise. Just did one (not Viking) with no daily testing and felt reasonably relaxed onboard. 

I get what you are thinking - but if I was in your shoes (and I soon will be - in12 weeks), I would just go: be positive (not that kind of positive!) and enjoy yourself as the odds are hugely in your favor. Viking's protocols were a 'unique selling proposition' in 2021 to get them back in the game - but it is obvious their protocols are beginning to erode their customer base. Once the cancelations hurt the bottom line in the face of the stiff competition that has already recognized the changing dynamics of this increasingly less dangerous virus, these protocols will be gone - just my 2 cents. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Consider the alternative.

Caribbean Princess doesn't do daily testing and recently cancelled a cruise, due to COVID infections. Princess blamed it on pre-drydock work, which is BS.

It's a mute point, but if they did daily testing, would the infection rate have been reduced and the next cruise sailed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Caribbean Princess doesn't do daily testing and recently cancelled a cruise, due to COVID infections. Princess blamed it on pre-drydock work, which is BS.

It's a mute point, but if they did daily testing, would the infection rate have been reduced and the next cruise sailed. 

Some of the people in quarantine/isolation are not being fed in a timely manner, including a diabetic and a person with cognitive issues. I have read some truly distressing accounts from reliable sources. 

There have also been positive accounts, so, clearly, it can be done. 

8 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Some of the people in quarantine/isolation are not being fed in a timely manner, including a diabetic and a person with cognitive issues. I have read some truly distressing accounts from reliable sources. 

There have also been positive accounts, so, clearly, it can be done. 

Not sure why you quoted my post, as I'm having difficulty comprehending the correlation.

Can you please expand on what can be done? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Silent indeed. And moot as well.

30 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Not sure why you quoted my post, as I'm having difficulty comprehending the correlation.

Can you please expand on what can be done? 

You mentioned a number of folks on Princess have Covid infections. I mentioned that some of those folks are being treated very poorly, and others are treated well. Clearly, treating them well is possible, without disrupting others. 

There seems to be tremendous inconsistency between ships (read: some ships' officers/decision makers appear to care about those in isolation, and others clearly have far less concern). It would be nice to have a clear, consistent corporate policy that also allows for some variation, if conditions warrant. 

As to what can be done: perhaps clear, honest communication and meeting peoples' basic survival needs is a start.

I did not intend to confuse you. I guess I unfairly assumed that you might have read some of the same reports I had, given your mention of the Caribbean Princess. I apologize if I came across as argumentative. I actually intended to support your apparent concern. 

• Like 1

As an aside, I am coming around to the idea of eliminating testing for those with up to date vaccinations as the virus continues to become less and less deadly. As of now, I am in favor of only allowing those with up to date vaccinations onboard. I am also in favor of clearly communicated policies, including that a percentage (perhaps 10%-20%) of vaccine records will be checked to be certain that the stated lot number was actually used at the location listed on the vaccine record on the date stated. Anyone found to have  a fradulent record will be denied boarding/kicked off with no refund. I have no way of knowing if my gut feeling has any validity whatsoever, but it is telling me that at least some of the folks who are quite sick and/or are coughing up a storm might have forged vaccine records. I feel (again -just a gut feeling- no proof) that knowing they have a 1 in 5-10 chance of being caught, and losing what they've spent, could deter some of the deceitful folks. 

I am concerned for all humans. I am concerned for the cruise industry.

I am also concerned for myself and my husband. After decades of living below our means and saving/investing everything we could in order to have an awesome, travel-filled retirement, Covid hit just months after we actually retired, canceling some pretty awesome trips that had been planned for years. We are now ready to make up for lost time. We have a 62 day, 17 country, , lots of trains, 5 cruise trip to Europe planned in a week and a half. We have a 57 day, 11 country, 4 cruise, 2 continent trip planned starting in late July, and lots more after that. We are well aware that a positive test for either one of us will derail us, even if we feel perfectly healthy. We are both double-boosted. 

I tremendously appreciate the diverse opinions expressed on the Cruise Critic forums. I had previously been entirely in favor of both vaccine requirements and extensive testing. Learning from the perspectives of other people has encouraged me to examine my opinions, sent me elsewhere to learn more, and has helped me to expand my ideas. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, MamaFej said:

You mentioned a number of folks on Princess have Covid infections. I mentioned that some of those folks are being treated very poorly, and others are treated well. Clearly, treating them well is possible, without disrupting others. 

There seems to be tremendous inconsistency between ships (read: some ships' officers/decision makers appear to care about those in isolation, and others clearly have far less concern). It would be nice to have a clear, consistent corporate policy that also allows for some variation, if conditions warrant. 

As to what can be done: perhaps clear, honest communication and meeting peoples' basic survival needs is a start.

I did not intend to confuse you. I guess I unfairly assumed that you might have read some of the same reports I had, given your mention of the Caribbean Princess. I apologize if I came across as argumentative. I actually intended to support your apparent concern. 

Thanks for clarifying. Didn't think you were being argumentative, I just didn't understand the correlation, with my excuse being it was later at night.

Although both I and our son used to work for Princess, I no longer follow them closely, so hadn't read of the treatment provided to the pax onboard. However, based on our last Princess cruise in 2015, it doesn't surprise me. The article noted they cancelled a cruise up to Vancouver, as it was meant to be our first ship of the season, blaming it on pre-refit work, rather than COVID infections. The pre-refit work was most likely already scheduled and would have taken place while the ship was sailing.

Had Carnival invested in onboard testing to enhance pax safety/health, I expect the number of infections would have been significantly less and the ship would not have missed a cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MamaFej said:

As an aside, I am coming around to the idea of eliminating testing for those with up to date vaccinations as the virus continues to become less and less deadly. As of now, I am in favor of only allowing those with up to date vaccinations onboard. I am also in favor of clearly communicated policies, including that a percentage (perhaps 10%-20%) of vaccine records will be checked to be certain that the stated lot number was actually used at the location listed on the vaccine record on the date stated. Anyone found to have  a fradulent record will be denied boarding/kicked off with no refund. I have no way of knowing if my gut feeling has any validity whatsoever, but it is telling me that at least some of the folks who are quite sick and/or are coughing up a storm might have forged vaccine records. I feel (again -just a gut feeling- no proof) that knowing they have a 1 in 5-10 chance of being caught, and losing what they've spent, could deter some of the deceitful folks. 

100% of the records is checked.  This is what VeriFly does, which Viking requires for you to board.  

On 4/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, SailorPaulH said:

Just received an update on the April 1, 2022 'Important Pre-Departure Information - Travel Requirements' (also dated April 1). It still does not specify that independent travel prior to joining a pre-excursion requires and additional test at least that is how I interpret it.

It does, however, acknowledge that the pre-flight test is now solely a Viking mandate and that Norway does not have a testing requirement.

Screenshot 2022-04-03 144505.png

Just now saw that this document had been updated (I wish they would assign an updated date and/or version number to these documents) that expands #3.

Screenshot 2022-04-09 151916.png

• Thanks 1

We just arrived aboard Viking Orion. They accepted our laboratory conducted antigen test. We did that Thursday morning. After check in next stop is the spit on the tube station. Mask on unless seated at a table until the test comes back negative. We are enjoying lunch in the World Cafe.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We just arrived aboard Viking Orion. They accepted our laboratory conducted antigen test. We did that Thursday morning. After check in next stop is the spit on the tube station. Mask on unless seated at a table until the test comes back negative. We are enjoying lunch in the World Cafe.

Enjoy!  We tried to keep Orion in good shape for you all.  Have a fantastic trip.  We are at LAX now returning home.  Looks like you’ll have a glorious sail away!  Don’t forget to look at the famous USS Iowa battleship on you right as you start down the channel.  (#61)

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Enjoy the cruise, wish we were also onboard.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Enjoy the cruise, wish we were also onboard.

She’s a good ship and you have a good captain and staff.  We just got off.  Can’t say enough about the great personal service!  Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We just (a few hours ago) dropped our friends off at the port. They will be celebrating their 30th anniversary onboard Tuesday. 

Enjoy your cruise, Lyle!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

Just now saw that this document had been updated (I wish they would assign an updated date and/or version number to these documents) that expands #3.

It may help to note that there is a version number in the file name listed in the footer of the document, and a date in the top right. I've been able to use that to catch revisions (though it takes some extra scrutiny to figure out what exactly has changed). 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

100% of the records is checked.  This is what VeriFly does, which Viking requires for you to board.  

Not true.

Verify has no access to official government records (thank God).

They use some artificial intelligence algorithm to attempt to identify forged records. It’s a feel-good activity and a nice money- maker for Verify.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Enjoy!  We tried to keep Orion in good shape for you all.  Have a fantastic trip.  We are at LAX now returning home.  Looks like you’ll have a glorious sail away!  Don’t forget to look at the famous USS Iowa battleship on you right as you start down the channel.  (#61)

Lead ship of her class which included Missouri, New Jersey and Wisconsin of the so-called fast battleship force commanded by the legendary "Ching" Lee. Ordered and built before the US Navy figured out that the carrier was to be the capital ship of WW II.

• Like 1