Issues with getting spouse Diamond status

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

Yes, I concur.  My daughter and son became Ds as they were under 18 and were assigned my wife and mine tier level.  I'm D+, but my daughter, son, sil, dil and 3 granddaughters on their sail documents are all listed as diamond. All don't have the necessary points/nights to be D on therir own.

Oh great, same situation as me! I'll just need to call them back and get this fixed, I could wait until the cruise and talk to the concierge directly (that would probably be easier) but I don't know if he would get the drink credits at that point. 

4 minutes ago, saridien said:

Oh great, same situation as me! I'll just need to call them back and get this fixed, I could wait until the cruise and talk to the concierge directly (that would probably be easier) but I don't know if he would get the drink credits at that point. 

They won't give him Diamond status or benefits because you don't have enough points on your own yet. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saridien said:

I understand the points don't match the status, but my account says Diamond and I have been Diamond for 10 years at this point without the points to back it up. 

My impression of the policy and what they told me on the phone is that my husband can get my status as well, but we are having issues with that. 

Obviously this is a very niche problem to have, I'll just have to call them again and figure out what we should do. 

Talk to the Loyalty Ambassador when you board.  As listed in my post #24, not only are my children spouses listed as D on their document, but also their kids.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, saridien said:

I understand the points don't match the status, but my account says Diamond and I have been Diamond for 10 years at this point without the points to back it up. 

My impression of the policy and what they told me on the phone is that my husband can get my status as well, but we are having issues with that. 

Obviously this is a very niche problem to have, I'll just have to call them again and figure out what we should do. 

The point here is very simple:  C&A has you incorrectly listed as Diamond.  The fact that you have been listed as such without the points to back it up says it all.  Based on your actual 76 points earned you should be listed as Emerald.  That is the mistake made by them. 

Again, when you turn 18, your own account is created and your actual tier level is based on the actual points you've earned individually.  You no longer share status with your parents from the original account. And by your own account that is 76, which is Emerald.

When you turned 18, C&A should have listed your status as Emerald, not Diamond.  They made a mistake, and you have fortunately benefited from that ever since.  But the harder you press to have your husband now also added to that mistake may result in you being correctly adjusted to Emerald, as should have happened originally.   Just let it go since after this next cruise it becomes moot.

But it is no more complicated than that.  They just have your tier incorrectly listed - to your benefit. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

The point here is very simple:  C&A has you incorrectly listed as Diamond.  The fact that you have been listed as such without the points to back it up says it all.  Based on your actual 76 points earned you should be listed as Emerald.  That is the mistake made by them. 

Again, when you turn 18, your own account is created and your actual tier level is based on the actual points you've earned.  You no longer share status with your parents from the original account.

When that happened with you, C&A should have listed your status as Emerald, not Diamond.  They made a mistake, and you have fortunately benefited from that ever since.  But the harder you press to have your husband now also added to that mistake may result in you being correctly adjusted to Emerald, as should have happened originally.   Just let it go since after this next cruise it becomes moot.

But it is no more complicated than that.  They just have your tier incorrectly listed - to your benefit. 

I think you are mistaken - this is the way the system is supposed to work. At 18 you get to keep your parents status for life. My sister has the same Diamond status as my parents when she turned 18 as well. This is not a bug in the system, it is how it was designed and intended to be. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Correct, Mistakes are very common with Royal. Shoot I remember 10yrs ago a Woman on here was mad, wanted her Ex who'd only been on couple Cruises, she want him to loose his D+ Status he'd got just for being Married to her. I remember correctly she said was going bring it up in Court...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Again, when you turn 18, your own account is created and your actual tier level is based on the actual points you've earned individually.  You no longer share status with your parents from the original account. And by your own account that is 76, which is Emerald.

When you turned 18, C&A should have listed your status as Emerald, not Diamond.  They made a mistake, and you have fortunately benefited from that ever since.  But the harder you press to have your husband now also added to that mistake may result in you being correctly adjusted to Emerald, as should have happened originally.   Just let it go since after this next cruise it becomes moot.

Sorry, you are completely wrong on this matter.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, saridien said:

Your husband IS getting YOUR status, emerald. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, saridien said:

I think you are mistaken - this is the way the system is supposed to work. At 18 you get to keep your parents status for life. My sister has the same Diamond status as my parents when she turned 18 as well. This is not a bug in the system, it is how it was designed and intended to be. 

No that is not how it works - you do not keep you parents status for life.  At age 18 your tier status becomes your own based on your actual cruise point.  But believe what you want.

My own family example:

We have three children who grew up cruising with us on RCCL  When we became Diamond, they were all still under 18. However, we also cruised a number of times without them and one of our children did not cruise as often as his siblings.  So while we all shared the same status based on my wife and my points,  our point totals on an individual basis were different from each other.

As they turned 18, their actual cruise point totals determined their now adult cruise tier status.  Based on our cruising history as they each turned 18, my wife and I are Diamond+, two of my children are Diamond, but at different point totals, and my one son is Emerald.

If it worked the way you suggest and our status would remain theirs for life, then they would all be Diamond+ with us.

That is how it works when it works correctly.  But mistakes can be made as humans are responsible for data entry.  But they can also be corrected.....

19 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

At age 18, your points actually earned create your own account and you are no longer linked to or sharing status with your parents.  Your actual points earned now determine your actual tier status.  In the OP's case, that would be 76.

The C&A mistake made here IMO is that the OP is being recognized as - and getting benefits from - Diamond status, which as a child she shared with her parents, but has only earned 76 points from cruises she has actually been on.  Therefore the comment about her really being Emerald, and not Diamond.

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No that is not how it works - you do not keep you parents status for life.  At age 18 your tier status becomes your own based on your actual cruise point.  But believe what you want.

My own family example:

We have three children who grew up cruising with us on RCCL  When we became Diamond, they were all still under 18. However, we also cruised a number of times without them and one of our children did not cruise as often as his siblings.  So while we all shared the same status based on my wife and my points,  our point totals on an individual basis were different from each other.

As they turned 18, their actual cruise point totals determined their now adult cruise tier status.  Based on our cruising history as they each turned 18, my wife and I are Diamond+, two of my children are Diamond, but at different point totals, and my one son is Emerald.

That is how it works when it works correctly.  But mistakes can be made as humans are responsible for data entry.  But they can also be corrected.....

According to every other thread I've ever read on this, you are incorrect on this.

When you turn 18 , while your actual points revert to whatever you have actually earned on your own, you are not "demoted". You status remains at whatever status you had under your parents, until such time as you have accumulated enough points on your own to reach the next status tier. The only exception to this would be Pinnacle, as you can never inherit Pinnacle, that must be earned on your own.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

According to every other thread I've ever read on this, you are incorrect on this.

When you turn 18 , while your actual points revert to whatever you have actually earned on your own, you are not "demoted". You status remains at whatever status you had under your parents, until such time as you have accumulated enough points on your own to reach the next status tier. The only exception to this would be Pinnacle, as you can never inherit Pinnacle, that must be earned on your own.

The I guess I'd better get ahold of C&A and raise a big stink because my children (and grandchildren) should all be Diamond + with us, not Diamond and Emerald as C&A listed them when they all turned 18!

They also have all cruised on their own and with us since then and they have always been listed as the individual tiers indicated.  Apparently they're owed a bunch of back benefits.

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The I guess I'd better get ahold of C&A and raise a big stink because my children (and grandchildren) should all be Diamond + with us, not Diamond and Emerald as C&A listed them when they all turned 18!

Yes you should call and see. Your children should not have been demoted upon turning 18, their points should have just been adjusted to cruises they took themselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

From every other thread I've read on this, your children should be D+, but your grandchildren should be only at whatever tier level their parents have actually earned on their own, regardless of what their "status" is.

• Like 1

From every other thread I've read on this, your children should be D+, but your grandchildren should be only at whatever tier level their parents have actually earned on their own, regardless of what their "status" is.

Do you know where you have read this? From what I understand, regardless of whether you have earned a status, your children under 18 should be the same status as you. It doesn't make sense to exclude diamond members children from the diamond benefits when RC is a family vacation. 

If you have an official source for this that would be great, as it would probably apply to my spouse status issue as well! 

Edited by saridien

11 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

They also have all cruised on their own and with us since then and they have always been listed as the individual tiers indicated.  Apparently they're owed a bunch of back benefits.

My understanding from many posts on this board that the explanation that RobibMn is correct.  As an example, when I book sails for my daughter, son in law and the 2 grandkids, I book 2 separate balcony cabins and take advantage of the D balcony discount of $225 per cabin by having my daughter and 1 child in one cabin and her husband and their other child in the other.

Neither my daughter or her husband has the necessary points/nights on their own to be Ds. 

Edited by nelblu

30 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Yes, I concur.  My daughter and son became Ds as they were under 18 and were assigned my wife and mine tier level.  I'm D+, but my daughter, son, sil, dil and 3 granddaughters on their sail documents are all listed as diamond. All don't have the necessary points/nights to be D on therir own.

This is the first time I've ever read of a status level being matched across multiple linkig. If you were Diamond when your son & daughter turned 18, they should be Diamond until they earn D+ on their own. No questions there.  But I've never read any reports of their inherited status being matched to their children or spouses. From everything I've read prior, their status' should be based on the actual points earned by their spouse/parent.

I mean, how far should it go? If you were at D+ when your kids turned 18, and they immediately got married and had a kid and then 18 years later, the grandkid got married and had a kid, and then you all went on a cruise, are you all D+? Doesn't make sense to me to do that.

• Like 1

This is the first time I've ever read of a status level being matched across multiple linkig. If you were Diamond when your son & daughter turned 18, they should be Diamond until they earn D+ on their own. No questions there.  But I've never read any reports of their inherited status being matched to their children or spouses. From everything I've read prior, their status' should be based on the actual points earned by their spouse/parent.

I mean, how far should it go? If you were at D+ when your kids turned 18, and they immediately got married and had a kid and then 18 years later, the grandkid got married and had a kid, and then you all went on a cruise, are you all D+? Doesn't make sense to me to do that.

It's a loyalty program for a family vacation, so it does make sense to allow children and spouses to be included. I won't want to go to the diamond lounge if I have to leave my spouse behind, what's the point? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saridien said:

Do you know where you have read this? From what I understand, regardless of whether you have earned a status, your children under 18 should be the same status as you. It doesn't make sense to exclude diamond members children from the diamond benefits when RC is a family vacation. 

If you have an official source for this that would be great, as it would probably apply to my spouse status issue as well! 

@RobinMN was referring to my comment errantly including my grandchildren as being D+ under the "forever status" idea.  My grandchildren would follow their parents status, for which I was properly corrected.  Unintentional misrepresentation on my part in the heat of the conversation.

But to this entire discussion I will stand by my comments.  I have had conversations in the past regarding this with C&A - in particular when my oldest turned 18 with his status - and I have to believe they are correct in their interpretation of their policy based on the three children that have been converted to individual accounts in my family.  Otherwise they have made three successive similar mistakes over an eight year period.

Enjoy your cruises - regardless of whatever status you correctly or incorrectly presently enjoy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saridien said:

I don't, which is why I qualify my statements with "From everything I've read". I'm not sure such documentation actually exists outside of RCI.

BTW, minors inheriting their parent's status is different than a spouse matching their partner's status.

For one thing, I am almost positive that if you were to divorce, your partner would loose that match and revert to whatever status they have earned themselves. And technically, I think you can extend that match to anyone in your same household. I'll have to see if I can find that. I'm pretty sure it's been posted here before.

10 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

I can only go by the sail documents that lists them as Ds and the balcony discounts received.

10 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

BTW, minors inheriting their parent's status is different than a spouse matching their partner's status.

I appreciate you correcting my comment regarding my grandchildren as D+.  Typed it in the heat of the discussion and it was an incorrect statement, which I don't like doing.  They most certainly would be part of their parents status, not their grandparents.  But then again, under a "forever status" program, why not??  LOL.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Your children only retain your status at age 18 (which IIRC was Diamond).  The only way for them to get to D+ is based on their actual earned points.