Picture of current Freestyle Cups

As stated above they're just a new design of the age of double walled plastic cup. Better insulated than the glasses they give you, but the yeti will last longer. 

Frankly I'm lazy and usually don't want to bother with rinsing it out (I tend to change up my drink order) so with the drink package I just order a new drink if the ice melts before I finish it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. I searched through some reviews and found a picture of it. It looks like the cup they had a bunch of years ago, before they switched to the plastic up with straw and handle, which I didn't like at all. Will pack my Yeti.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kellyco said:

Thanks for your input. I searched through some reviews and found a picture of it. It looks like the cup they had a bunch of years ago, before they switched to the plastic up with straw and handle, which I didn't like at all. Will pack my Yeti.

The older I get, the lighter I travel…will the machines work with other cups? 

I read this on another board. I DO NOT know if it works, but it sounds interesting:

I keep my hotel card from the hotel the night before.

I bring some of the lamination film that is available from office stores.

I get my cup with the chip and carefully break it open. the chip itself is on a little round thin piece of plastic at the bottom of the cup.

I laminate that to my hotel card and then carry it with my room card, I can now use any glass or container I want with the freestyle machines. Although metal drink bottles and yetis can be a little challenging as the metal interrupts the way the machine energizes the chip to read it, but it only takes a few times to get a hang of the timing from reading the chip to placing the container under the dispenser.

The best part is the look on people's faces when they tell me in line i need my cup for it to work but i walk away with my yeti full of Mello Yellow.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

I laminate that to my hotel card and then carry it with my room card, I can now use any glass or container I want with the freestyle machines.

That doesn't sound right.  I've heard of people who have taken their chip from their freestyle cup and put it on their own, but just some random chip?  I'd question that.

4 minutes ago, flamingos said:

That doesn't sound right.  I've heard of people who have taken their chip from their freestyle cup and put it on their own, but just some random chip?  I'd question that.

I think you missed this part:

"I get my cup with the chip and carefully break it open. the chip itself is on a little round thin piece of plastic at the bottom of the cup."

I imagine it might work on any plastic card you could tape it to (if it works). Anyone ever trash their cup and get a replacement?

On 3/24/2022 at 3:55 PM, flamingos said:

He takes the chip from the "current" drink package cup for that cruise week; older cruise cups would not work at all.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:42 PM, smplybcause said:

As stated above they're just a new design of the age of double walled plastic cup. Better insulated than the glasses they give you, but the yeti will last longer. 

Frankly I'm lazy and usually don't want to bother with rinsing it out (I tend to change up my drink order) so with the drink package I just order a new drink if the ice melts before I finish it. 

This.  And isn’t a yeti a bit overkill here?   Might as well bring a yeti cooler too and that way one can make the ice last for 5-7 days.  😂😂😂

A yeti might be great at the beach or camping where ice is hard to come by, but there are places all over these ships to get a new cold drink or a fresh cup of ice.  

Thanks for the replies. Not trying to cheat the system, or overpack. I am looking to use the cup mainly for really cold water during the night, and an occasional Coke. This is why I asked the question of how cold does it keep drinks. 

7 minutes ago, ScubaCat3 said:

The Royal Caribbean cup will keep drinks cold for a short while but nothing like a Yeti. If you want a drink to be cold overnight you will want to bring your Yeti. 

Thanks for your reply. Just tossed the Yeti in my bag.

I never even unwrap the cups.  Those are souvenirs for the grands.  If I want soda or water, I stop at the nearest bar & get a can or bottle there.  Never been refused.

Edited by poocher