What happens if the home video COVID test doesn't work?

LindaJ+

We have Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card home tests and plan to do them the Thursday evening at the airport hotel before we board the plane Friday morning.  This is for a Sunday departure cruise (overnight connecting flights to Europe ... Portland - Minneapolis - Reykjavik - Amsterdam).  After reading a bunch of terrible reviews about the Navica app, I am feeling pretty worried that something will go wrong and we won't get our results.  What happens/what are our options then?

I was worried too but my concern was taking the proctored test, not with the NAVICA app.  I took the test on my laptop.  Why wouldn’t you get your results?  I had no problems with the app on my phone.  

If you are asking for a backup plan…does the airport have a test site?

• Like 1

There are dozens of reviews saying the app booted them out of the connection or some other problem and then they couldn't use their test because it had already been opened.

I guess I'll have to research airport testing further.

• Like 1

I used the Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card home tests a few times now and have had no problems.   Just take a couple extra tests with you for the "just in case" happens.    

I went directly to the EMED website using my laptop and took the proctored test that way.   I did not use the Navica App on my phone.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

went directly to the EMED website using my laptop and took the proctored test that way.

Me too.  Only used the app to display my results when boarding the ship.  

Found this about testing at PDX  ... but the Hawaii requirement is going away so I don't know what that implies

Important FlagCurrently, Carbon Health is able to meet specific guidelines and provide the necessary forms for travel to the states of Hawaii and Alaska. We also guarantee a test result turnaround time of 3 hours same day OR by 2pm the next day. Turnaround times and types of tests available vary by location. We do not provide any clinical sign off or wet signature for other travel forms. It is up to each patient to ensure our testing results and turnaround times are valid for international travel clearance and that any paperwork is handled separately.

9 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I used the Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card home tests a few times now and have had no problems.   Just take a couple extra tests with you for the "just in case" happens.    

I went directly to the EMED website using my laptop and took the proctored test that way.   I did not use the Navica App on my phone.   

Ah, so do you create an account with EMED beforehand?  Do you have to schedule an appointment?  Do they email your results?  The outside of the box doesn't explain this.

30 minutes ago, LindaJ+ said:

Ah, so do you create an account with EMED beforehand?  Do you have to schedule an appointment?  Do they email your results?  The outside of the box doesn't explain this.

I would create the account beforehand. That can be done in the app and you can add additional travelers. We've used these tests for a December cruise and will be using them again for a cruise this Sunday. As another poster suggested, go to the eMed site to initiate the process; I wouldn't rely on the app. No appointment is necessary, but you may have to wait a few minutes if they're busy.

We had one glitch in 5 tests that we completed. After the 15 minute timer ended, the agent was unable to reestablish the video connection. So we had to restart the process again. They didn't require us to take a new test, but we did have to reconnect and wait through the 15 minute cycle before they could read the test.

6 minutes ago, 0106 said:

You may want to watch a YouTube video prior to your proctored at home test in order to feel more comfortable with the process.

Lots of them out there on Utube - some better than others, but if you watch a couple you soon figure out what to do and what NOT to.  As already noted, I would have an extra one or two on hand "just in case".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

I went to this website and then just clicked on "I want to start testing".   https://www.emed.com/app/login

After you do this step, it will allow you to set up a Navica account.   After that, just follow the prompts and it will walk you thru fairly easily.   

I really suggest having a laptop if possible and have your phone available just in case you need to call someone (I doubt you will need to).

We've used these tests numerous times with much success.   I just suggest doing the tests as early as possible on the day you are allowed to do them.   In other words, don't wait until the last minute.

• Like 3

We 3 have used that test using emed and navica in September, November & December 2021 and February 2022 with no issues.  We plan on using them again in April (twice) & May.  It has been easy and prompt.  (knock on wood 🤗)

On 3/25/2022 at 12:00 PM, jeh10641 said:

LindaJ+,

Check with HAL as well. We used their "recommended" testing service, Quest Diagnostics, for our Dec. 2021 cruise. They failed to arrive and we got tested at the pier by HAL. I knew that beforehand so not worried.

Jim

Well, OK, but we have to get to the pier (Amsterdam).  But the post above yours may eliminate that worry.

• Thanks 1