What to do on Alaska sea days

bradkristi

We have been to Alaska a few times, For my family of four we love just sitting on the balcony with coffee or sodas and enjoying the view. This cruise we have extended family traveling and I feel I need to have ideas ready for them. To be honest, I don’t want them in my room looking for stuff to do. They have all cruised and even done Alaska. I am just feeling the pressure to be the host as I have pretty much organized everything up until now. Really looking for daily activities guide (Capers) on the ship but could not locate. Anybody been recently and have this..? Thought it might help by “ Hey why don’t you try the trivia at so and so.

Have them download the app and look at the events in the Fun Times. Or ask the rooms steward to give you a copy of the Fun Times.  There is trivia, games, drinking, hot tubs, arcade, movies, etc. TV in their rooms. There are games and books in the library, too. If someone can't find something to do on a cruise ship, they aren't looking very hard.

• Like 2

That's what cheers is for! Makes doing nothing even awesomer. Hosting pressure on vacation? 😒 I'll bet this will be a lesson for you and you won't assume that responsibility again...lol. 

On the bright side, it won't be like shore-side hosting, at least you won't spend hundreds of dollars on food/drinks and have a huge mess at the end.  

Edited by cruisingguy007

As much as I love cruising, the lowest point for me is sea days where the weather is not warm. We take that opportunity to experience any activities that we can. Sometimes, we discover something fun that we might not have otherwise tried. 

3 hours ago, Capt_Sailormike said:

spending quality time with the wife....

But what are we supposed to do with the other 23 hours and 55 min? 😁

Jokes aside, good idea indeed! Order a bottle/champagne strawberries to the room, maybe some room service, order some movies and spend the day buck nekked in bed. It's been well over twenty years since we've done that lol but a fantastic idea!  

• Haha 3

Husband and I always cruise with our rainy day entertainment kit - backgammon set with a cribbage board, travel yahtzee, and deck of cards tucked inside.  

One of the best sea days we've ever had was a few years ago in the Caribbean.  Ugly, windy, gray day, rain pouring down, last day of the cruise so we were done with trivia, etc.  Went to the atrium bar, got a bottle of wine, found a spot with a table and comfy chairs and played backgammon.  Within a few minutes, folks were watching us play, cheering us on, asking to take on the winner, etc. and it was awesome.  One of my favorite experiences ever cruising - talking, laughing, having a good time with other cruisers and an impromptu backgammon tournament.  We've spent a number of afternoons playing Yahtzee on our balcony also, even when the weather is great - we never leave home without our game set.  

19 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

That's what cheers is for! Makes doing nothing even awesomer. Hosting pressure on vacation? 😒 I'll bet this will be a lesson for you and you won't assume that responsibility again...lol. 

This is EXACTLY why I refused to let any other family join us in Alaska (but I helped them book their own trips).  Way too easy of a cruise to end up playing travel agent and never having fun.

• Like 1