On our own tours

My sister and I [mid 70s] are cruising this summer and porting in Edinburg, Kirkwall, Skye, LaCoruna, Porto, Lisbon. Bilboa, Zeebrugge,and Amsterdam. I am wondering if it is possible to do any of these ports easily on your own. We are both pretty active but not to the point of mountain climbing or zip lining.😁

We have a couple of private tours planned but would like to not be on a big bus every day. 

I have been to several of the ports but she has not seen any of these places. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Depending on where you dock in Scotland, The Royal mall can be reached via a cab......

In Kirkwall it is easy to walk around town from the dock...if you want to go to the Distillery, you will need a cab.

Lisbon has a great Hop on Hop off trolly like right near the port.

You will need a cab or bus shuttle into Bruges from the dock in Zeebrugge

Amsterdam you can walk all around town, but the ports are really not close to the city center and most of the sights, so the trams work well.

Have not been to Bilboa.

ENJOY

While Kirkwall town is easily walkable, the more interest sites in the Orkneys are outside of the town. Check out Maeshowe, Skara Brae, the Italian Chapel, the Churchill Barriers. I would try to find a small group tour to take you away from the town.

• Like 1

In 2018:

Edinburgh - shuttle dropped me off in town where I got the HOHO bus

Kirkwall - very walkable & there's a city bus to Skarre Barre but it's £s only and fills up fast. Plus ppl are pushy so unless you are too, you'll be blocked out. I was first in line but managed to get last ticket. 20180625_112246.thumb.jpg.b0a6d9cb1369933279df416bdbb7b14d.jpg20180625_112946_4_bestshot.thumb.jpg.7f928e538b7b2d44c3de986b0bebf7cd.jpg20180625_113043.thumb.jpg.2013e1f1284fb93a89583116c9da133c.jpg

We like to go off on our own and just explore a new port.  We always say we are on a low-key adventure and it suits us.  

We took a cruise ship bus to Bruges for a diy tour.  They dropped us off and picked us up but we had hours to roam and visit Bruges.  It is lovely!

When ported in Amsterdam, we chose to visit Rotterdam instead via another diy tour using a cruise ship bus to and from.

• Like 2