Mazatlan - What's the appeal of Stone Island?

AandBmom

After reading so much about Stone Island on here we thought we have to check it out.

Well I'm glad it was a cheap trip, because we found it to be quite meh.

The beach isn't the greatest and isn't really all that beautiful.  Especially not next to Cabo or PV.

There are many run down looking establishments.  We ate and hung out at Lety's. Food was good as was service.  But really it wasn't really a great beach experience.  The vendors are nonstop every 2-3 minutes so it's hard to kick back and relax. 

We would probably stay on the ship next time rather than put the effort in to going to a basic beach that isn't really all that nice.  

• Like 1

Glad to hear I’m not the only one who thought this. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. We didn’t do Lety’s, we did a dock one. But I don’t know that it would’ve been much better or different from what I saw. 

On 3/27/2022 at 8:27 AM, AandBmom said:

The vendors are nonstop every 2-3 minutes so it's hard to kick back and relax. 

That can happen in any tourist heavy beach area.  I also find it somewhat annoying and look for alternatives away from the vendors where possible.  

• Like 1

I enjoy Stone Island.

1.  It is easy and inexpensive to get to.

2.  Food and drink are good and are cheap.

3.  Chairs, tables and umbrellas are plentiful, and are made available to people using the restaurants.

4.  Lots of water sports activities.

5.  I have never felt unsafe.

I dislike the persistence of the beach vendors.  But "no, gracias" is all it takes.

I cannot enjoy Stone Island if there is a Banda presence.  Once they start up, I am back to the ferry boat.

• Like 6

On 3/29/2022 at 3:20 PM, Mike45LC said:

I enjoy Stone Island.

1.  It is easy and inexpensive to get to.

2.  Food and drink are good and are cheap.

3.  Chairs, tables and umbrellas are plentiful, and are made available to people using the restaurants.

4.  Lots of water sports activities.

5.  I have never felt unsafe.

Pretty much the same reasons for us. Cabo is too touristy and crowded. Stone Island seems to be a place that Mexican locals go with their families. More authentic . For my husband , he could spend all day riding waves ( body surfing) and cant do that in Cabo . 

• Like 2

I agree that Stone Island is only so-so....that being said it is where we go simply because we never find anywhere else that interests us much.  So my answer is because "its the best option available".

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

What I love about Stone Island is that I can hear the roosters crowing as the ship comes into the harbor. It's the only sound so early in the morning. (Must be on starboard side to hear them). 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

PV, Cabo & Cancun (including surrounding areas) account for nearly all of the international beach tourism into Mexico, so it isn't surprising PV & Cabo are the highlights of Mexican Rivera tours.  I haven't been to Stone Island, but IMO, Mazatlán is the most underrated beach destination in Mexico.  The beaches aren't the best in the world, but they're nice and uncrowded, and the adjacent walkway stretches for miles (one of the longest in the world).  Food/drinks is delicious (and much cheaper than PV & Cabo) and anything you're tempted to buy in Mexico will be much cheaper here.  There's a large number of Canadian ex-pats living here (as well as winter snowbirds), and many volunteer to help when ships are docked.

A few years ago (mid 2010s), Mazatlan was dropped from most itineraries due to safety perceptions, and replaced with either a second night in PV, second night at Cabo, Ensenada or La Paz.  I'm glad Mazatlan is back....

On 5/9/2022 at 1:41 PM, Itried4498 said:

I haven't been to Stone Island, but IMO, Mazatlán is the most underrated beach destination in Mexico.

Have you been to Huatulco? THAT is the most underrated beach destination in Mexico. Most people have never even heard of it.

As to Stone Beach....  once you've seen the town, plaza, etc there isn't that much to Mazatlan. Stone Beach is the one eyed man in a kingdom of blind people. Never had a bad time or experience there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice long walking beach near the port accessible independently for a tiny price. I went early to avoid the crowds, the bands and vendors hadn't even set up yet. Didn't eat there, close enough to port to go back on board for lunch.  Doesn't have all of the tourist crap that Cabo does within walking distance of the port. Nor all the high rise hotels near the Puerto Vallarta port.

Edited by mlgb
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 9:34 AM, sunsetme said:

How is the water at Stone Island? It's been years since I was there. Is it swimmable? rocks in the water?

My hubby loves to swim and body surf and LOVES Stone Island. It can depend on time of year etc, but Im a chicken with ocean water and I like it there. You can usually walk a ways into the ocean before it gets deep, unlike Cabo. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Glad it's not just me.  I looked at a youtube video online, and I was like this looks really dirty and run down.

i know I'm used to the white sand and blue water of the bahamas and caribbean, but this looked way too brown.

I'm trying to find something more upscale for our group.   this port has stressed me out the most in figuring out where to go.

Put me in the no thanks camp.  

I didn’t enjoy having to hop onto the bow of the small boat to get there, the sand was smooth but brownish, the water was freezing, stray dogs everywhere.  Very good shrimp and guac though.  

just back we schlepped to the ferry and stopped at Velereo. The water was very pleasant, the service good. Many people were eating at this restaurant which is huge inside. We took a ride back to the ferry and a cab back to the port. We had a great day (Dec 6) only 2 dogs, no horses. Place was clean.