Will NCL return to Africa in 2024?

Lvntrvl

Our scheduled cruise on the Jade from Dubai to Cape Town in December 2021 was cancelled by NCL. ☹️ When we attempted to rebook to the following year, the price had almost tripled in price, so we opted to wait for the 2024 dates to be released. It now looks as if they have repositioned the Jade to the Caribbean in early 2024. Does anyone know if they are planning to resume that itinerary...or has that ship sailed...so to speak.

I’m actually booked on the Jade to Africa in January 2023 and I’m not banking on it sailing. I had to book something to transfer a next cruise to way back in 2020 so I picked this cruise in 2023 since we absolutely want to do Africa. So much of the cruise industry remains fluid. I think it’s nearly impossible to plan years in advance :(. 

Can't imagine them backing off from those itineraries with the crazy prices they are trying to get (or getting).  Would be nuts to give up sailings at $700-3000 a day to replace them with Caribbean sailings at $200-1000 a day.  I would expect them to locate another ship (likely larger) there.

We cancelled our Jade sailing in late 2022 and booked roughly the same the itinerary on Azamara for less money.

On 3/27/2022 at 6:49 PM, ECCruise said:

Can't imagine them backing off from those itineraries with the crazy prices they are trying to get (or getting).  Would be nuts to give up sailings at $700-3000 a day to replace them with Caribbean sailings at $200-1000 a day.  I would expect them to locate another ship (likely larger) there.

We cancelled our Jade sailing in late 2022 and booked roughly the same the itinerary on Azamara for less money.

why do the routes around Africa have such overinflated prices? 

is it scarcity?

3 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

is it scarcity?

It must be. When the 2023 Africa was first released it was a decent value. We are in a balcony for $2,300. Now the price is nearly 10,000 for the same cabin. It’s ridiculous. 

23 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

is it scarcity?

The scarcity is one factor.

The other factor is NCL is just charging insane prices.  Our 3 sailings on Dawn in October in Europe--all pretty vanilla itineraries--have more than doubled since we booked. Not a chance we would book anything on NCL now.

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

The scarcity is one factor.

The other factor is NCL is just charging insane prices.  Our 3 sailings on Dawn in October in Europe--all pretty vanilla itineraries--have more than doubled since we booked. Not a chance we would book anything on NCL now.

Just like pre-pandemic, nCL continues to offer some of the best last minute pricing.  I suspect that is because they have Lots of inventory available. I also suspect at this point pricing is a bit of a shell game. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just like pre-pandemic, nCL continues to offer some of the best last minute pricing.  I suspect that is because they have Lots of inventory available. I also suspect at this point pricing is a bit of a shell game. 

yes, but last minute rates equal VERY expensive airfare.

Edited by MSUjohn

Just now, MSUjohn said:

yes, but last minute rates equal VERY expensive airfare.

There are lots of opportunity to work around airfare. Example, we wanted to cruise Greek isles leaving from Venice. Did my homework and found a time period of 3 weeks with 5-6 cruises departing in that time that were acceptable. Then i went ahead and purchased air and just waited out the cruise lines to drop prices. In the end, We had our choices of several ships. Of course, you need to be flexible to work this strategy. We aren’t particular about cabin location as long as it’s a balcony or above and if all else failed we are perfectly happy with a land vacation. There is always a work around 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little while ago; there has been a price drop; they were asking the same for the Inside from Dubai to Cape Town this November, as we were charged for a Suite when we rebooked immediately after the ill-fated Spirit cruise in 2020

Those prices are hilarious. I have no idea why people book so far in advance. I had to reserve the Africa trip due to covid and expiring next certs, but typically I don’t book until the 50 day mark. 

Currently you can do a 12 night Hawaiian and South Pacific for $1,600 departing may 31st . That gives people almost 2 full months to plan. And there are all kinds of 10 night Mediterranean for under $700 departing in May. Standard  Caribbean is In the $500 range. 

April departures are much cheaper and that is what I would consider truly last minute. Lots of availability for $50 a day. Here is a 21 night cruise for $1,200. Balconies are only $2,200. Lots of 7 night caribbean for below $400. It’s a great time to sail!! 

939A77E8-4B66-47B7-BF30-7FDADB923289.thumb.jpeg.a2f336437447290ea1a6f5ed804085b8.jpeg

EF5C483B-0B85-46F6-8312-B4501A7BD2D6.thumb.jpeg.257b800a82a5dc80b348b63e2227ab5a.jpeg

I wonder just how many NEW bookings NCL are getting for the 2022 cruise at the prices quoted.   They are probably the most expensive cruises that NCL offers.

At present NCL seem to be trying to catch up some finances!!   When the 2020 ill-fated Spirit cruise was cancelled all on board received a 75% DISCOUNT voucher with NO LIMIT.   It was unbelievable at the time till people went to book.   It was the only time I have come across when something that "seemed too good to be true" actually was.

I think lots of people immediately went and booked the same cruise in 2021 or 2022; remember that the 2021 cruise was cancelled and the 75% discount voucher could be carried forward and a 10% FCC probably added to it.

There were people on board the Spirit who were able to use the 75% discount to immediately book a Suite in 2021 or 2022 for the cost, at that time, of an Inside!!!!!!

Remember that if everyone (2000+) on the spirit with that 75% discount voucher had saved $1000 on a future cruise that was a cost to NCL of $2M.