Lawn Club Restaurant Question

sls28

47 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Just curious, how windy was it at the grill at dinner while sailing?

The entire LCG is enclosed in glass. I've never noticed any wind, per se, inside the dining area while sailing; maybe a little puff of air occasionally, but not "wind". They also have overhead heaters they will turn on if it gets cool in the evening, plus the grill itself keeps the area warm. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mitz18 said:

25 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

The entire LCG is enclosed in glass. I've never noticed any wind, per se, inside the dining area while sailing; maybe a little puff of air occasionally, but not "wind". They also have overhead heaters they will turn on if it gets cool in the evening, plus the grill itself keeps the area warm. Hope that helps.

LCG is not an enclosed restaurant.  While it is somewhat protected from the elements, it's still an outdoor venue, and when the ship is underway, it can be windy (and chilly, depending on where on the water you are).   There's a reason they have blankets you can use.  🙂 

Edited by Turtles06

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

LCG is not an enclosed restaurant.  It's an outdoor venue, and when the ship is underway, it can be windy (and chilly, d

epending on where on the water you are).   There's a reason they have blankets you can use.  🙂 

Well, I guess we've had different experiences. Yes, it's an outdoor venue, but is encircled - better word than enclosed - in glass. We've dined at the LCG many times over the years in all kinds of weather, albeit all in the Caribbean and Mediterranean, and I've never personally found the forward sailing motion of the ship alone to cause any noticeable "wind" inside the dining venue.  Clearly, others have had different experiences. 

We dined there one night with just one other couple in the restaurant.  it was so cold, I guess people skipped it.  We were offered another dinner for free during the cruise.  It can get very cold sometimes but it is still my favourite restaurant afloat.

On the Reflection in June, 2019, sailing away from Iceland, it was cold and windy. They turned on the heaters and brought us blankets. We had true flatbread.

The service was fantastic, the food was very good. We would definitely like to do it again, preferably when it's a bit warmer. 

We have dined there in the Caribbean when it has been very windy and cool.  It was not a pleasant experience. You could feel the cold wind blowing.  We did ask to be moved and it did help somewhat.  Never thought we would need sweaters in the Caribbean.

The food has been good as well as the service.  Great place to eat when in port...

On 3/29/2022 at 10:40 AM, D C said:

Seriously? When were you on-board?
In Nov and Jan (on Reflection), it was a full size, round, (pepperoni in our case) pizza that was identical to what we had for lunch in Oceanview.  Exactly the same crust, ingredients, etc.  I was really hoping for a true flatbread. 

We were on March 18-28 (last week). The OVC pizza was average. I always say if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be pizza but not if it's the OVC pizza. OTOH, the flatbread at Lawn Club was awesome. I just wish I had more room to enjoy that and everything else.

We went to the Lawn Grill on our March 19th Reflection sailing.   Wanted to go again as we loved it on the Summit.   The weather was fine, not windy and the place was empty due to glitches in the reservation system before we boarded. 

While I appreciate some people thinking it is wonderful, our Reflection experience was not.  

The flat bread was indeed a pizza, way too large as an appetizer even for 3 of us to share....and as others mentioned, no better than an average pizza 

The salad bar was not only subpar in quality and choice, but unlike the buffet, it was self serve and wonder if it would pass any public health standards,  

Three of us ordered veal chops, which were very good in size and quality of meat, but needed a lot more flavor.   

The worst part was that their wines by the glass were just bad.   

Our experience at The Porch was far superior,   Spend your money there. 

These reported inconsistencies are giving me a better understanding of why some people want to know who the officers onboard will be.

I've noticed differences in the overall "vibe" of hotel staff on the same ship a few months apart. I'm of the opinion that comes from the top.  

On 3/31/2022 at 5:36 PM, mitz18 said:

It totally depends on the wind direction, but the entire restaurant has roll-down clear plastic curtains. It's covered as well. 

Wind-wise, we ate at the Rooftop restaurant on the Edge while in port, thinking it wouldn't be windy. It was.  On a sea day, the ship was doing around 20 mph with trailing winds of about 20 mph.  It was almost dead calm on deck.