Covid 19 Test using Free US Government Kit?

Oxo

The US Government provided us free test kits for home self testing.

Why cannot I take that test to my personal Dr. and have him/her watch or administer that free

test and verify or certify the test results? This would be much more supervised than over the video call. 

Can you imagine how this would help relieve the concern many have about making and meeting an appoint with CVS or Walgreens?

TIA

This would not work.

The phrase , on NCL site, that applies is..

Verified Third Party

NCL has no way to verify your doctors document. 
If I went to my doctor for this, they would send me to lab down the hall and have them do the test.

We used iMed home proctored test for our cruises and it worked like a charm. Cost to us was $25 each.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 3

For starters, your Dr. is probably going to charge you way more than the $20 it costs to get the iHealth test (if that's the one you got) proctored.  If that's not the one you got for free, you can buy the test (amazon or directly from the company) for $8.99 + $20 for the proctor.

iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test – iHealth Labs Inc

• Like 4

As others have said you can't use those for the official for-NCL test you do in the couple of days before your cruise, but if you don't see any other use I'd recommend using them about a week before the cruise just for your own peace of mind. I find my covid-test anxiety grows as the cruise gets closer ("OMG what if I test positive?!?!") and perhaps that will help reign it in if you are a worrier like I am.

6 minutes ago, karmamule said:

As others have said you can't use those for the official for-NCL test you do in the couple of days before your cruise, but if you don't see any other use I'd recommend using them about a week before the cruise just for your own peace of mind. I find my covid-test anxiety grows as the cruise gets closer ("OMG what if I test positive?!?!") and perhaps that will help reign it in if you are a worrier like I am.

You can pay to have the iHealth tests proctored - if that is the free test you received, then it can be used according to several reports.

Talked to my Dr. He would not do it. Suggested to use CVS. We have used CVS on our last 3 cruises at no cost to us and was quick, results within 30 minutes.

Topic closed.

Thanks!

I kept calling the ihealth phone #, left messages, and emailed them with no reply but a generic we received your email and will get back to you.  I'm booked on cruise to Bermuda and wanted to use my ihealth with the $20 proctor, it's gone up to $24.99.  anyway Bermuda needs the lab name and physical address or email address on the report. Bermuda toll free number for travel authorization lady said they cannot read qwerty codes must be printed email.  I ended up buying the binaxnow telemed tests instead.  They answered phone and address is on the email. But thru royal Caribbean site link.  3 kits for $99.99 instead of the 6 kits for $150.

• 2 weeks later...

So it would appear that i health proctored will not work for the current Bermuda protocols because it does not display lab name and physical address on the generated report.  Anyone with recent experience on the Pearl to the contrary?  Would someone be willing to post a copy of their ihealth report (redacting all sensitive and personal information) in the event they can confirm it does contain the lab and physical address information?

Thank you.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:06 PM, Oxo said:

Talked to my Dr. He would not do it. Suggested to use CVS. We have used CVS on our last 3 cruises at no cost to us and was quick, results within 30 minutes.

Topic closed.

Thanks!

Went to a CVS yesterday for Covid test, my insurance wouldn’t cover it this time (Cigna). Cost $120.00

This poster, who replied to my skepticism about the free gov't-issued tests on our Bermuda cruise roll-call board, provided a link to a service that supposedly does the third party proctoring.  I can't vouch for it.....just sharing their information.

Me? I'm sticking with Inspire. Marginally more expensive ($15), NCL-authorized, and decent reviewers by our fellow CC community.  Why mess around?

image.png.e4d5e88bdc029594a2a870b7f48d533b.png

1 hour ago, egurbi said:

So it would appear that i health proctored will not work for the current Bermuda protocols because it does not display lab name and physical address on the generated report.  Anyone with recent experience on the Pearl to the contrary?  Would someone be willing to post a copy of their ihealth report (redacting all sensitive and personal information) in the event they can confirm it does contain the lab and physical address information?

Thank you.

It does have address.  Here’s my report.

B117E0C2-730C-4005-9474-723423C6F048.jpeg

• Like 2

Check with your local 'Doc in a Box', ie, acute care center.  The antigen test was not available at CVS or Walgreens.  The local hospital wanted $120 PP.  My 'Doc in a Box' did the testing for all four of us at no charge, no appointment necessary.  All four took less than 30 minutes.  We had the results in hand before we left.  (American Family Care).  No issues boarding the ship at NOLA.

The ihealth website says that its proctored test is acceptable for flights returning to the US, but I could not confirm it by checking my airline’s website. Whether anyone else accepts it is  not known.

The test requires a connection with a computer or a laptop. Tablets and phones are not supported. That combined with uncertainty about its acceptance means I’ll be using ihealth for home testing only.

Edited by Babr

Is this really true?

"Use an Internet-connected laptop or desktop computer only; tablets and smartphones are NOT supported."

iHealth Verified COVID Test Service – iHealth Labs Inc

I certainly don't have a computer with a mic and forward facing webcam.  I guess we could use my daughters, but why the heck can't I just use my iPad?

Chrisdar - can u keep. us posted ?  Where are you traveling?  We're going to Bermuda on NCL Joy on 4/26.  Still trying to figure this all out.  This is 2 days prior to BOARDING, correct?  Because the only way to do it on arrival is the morning that we board the ship and arrive in Bermuda 2 days later.  Was thinking about the timing for a PCR test, too.

27 minutes ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

Chrisdar - can u keep. us posted ?  Where are you traveling?  We're going to Bermuda on NCL Joy on 4/26.  Still trying to figure this all out.  This is 2 days prior to BOARDING, correct? 

I'm on the same April 26 cruise as you.  Take your antigen proctored test on Sunday, which is 2 days prior to Tuesday boarding.  Upload results to Bermuda; and print or save to your phone the results to show to NCL at the pier.

18 hours ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

Chrisdar - can u keep. us posted ?  Where are you traveling?  We're going to Bermuda on NCL Joy on 4/26.  Still trying to figure this all out.  This is 2 days prior to BOARDING, correct?  Because the only way to do it on arrival is the morning that we board the ship and arrive in Bermuda 2 days later.  Was thinking about the timing for a PCR test, too.

I’m on the Breakaway sailing tomorrow - Western Caribbean out of New Orleans.  WooHoo!!!

Used the iHealth tests ($20 proctored service - think it’s $24 per person now) for our 48 hour pre-boarding test.   Each person had to book a 30 minute session and use a laptop with a front facing camera.  They ask you to change the view (from being able to watch you open up the tests, conducting the swabbing, and then placing the swab into the solution and into the test card (thing that shows whether you’re negative or positive).

Was an easy process to follow, looking forward to sailing tomorrow!

• Like 1