Msc upgrade warning

Cjdbrit

Booked an msc cruise for January, bid on an upgrade and realized we could not change our mind. At the port my wife tested positive for Covid ( no symptoms) and negative 48 hours earlier. Being told by msc that even though we could not board the upgrade ( which cost more than the cruise) is non refundable. Any thoughts appreciated and pretty much assured that we will never use or recommend msc. All very frustrating. Thought cdc guidelines with cruise said refund from cruise line guaranteed if Covid positive. 

4 hours ago, Cjdbrit said:

Booked an msc cruise for January, bid on an upgrade and realized we could not change our mind. At the port my wife tested positive for Covid ( no symptoms) and negative 48 hours earlier. Being told by msc that even though we could not board the upgrade ( which cost more than the cruise) is non refundable. Any thoughts appreciated and pretty much assured that we will never use or recommend msc. All very frustrating. Thought cdc guidelines with cruise said refund from cruise line guaranteed if Covid positive. 

I *think* the upgrade stuff is handled by a third party and not MSC directly. I say this not to excuse MSC at all, just to say that going through MSC will most likely get you nowhere.

Did you have trip insurance? If so, that should be an easy claim.

Otherwise, you can try a dispute on your CC, but the T&C on the upgrade clearly says final and non-refundable.

All of that being said, this is a pretty interesting point that many probably aren't aware of, so thanks for posting it.

• Like 1

Just off os MSC Virtuosa.  The cruise is cut back to basics. Don’t expect anything more unless maybe in yacht club. We were given 9pm dining which is far too late for us.  So get them to change you to anytime dining or prebook  this first. 

The activities on the ship were non existent unless you wanted dance classes etc. And my last complaint was that there is no turn down service, you return after evening to a messy cabin and wet towels on the floor.  Too many cut backs for me, I’m afraid.

Do they not require you to have insurance in the US? For cruises in Europe they do and they check you have it at embarkation, this would cover us if we had to cancel the cruise.

5 hours ago, Outofofficeon said:

Just off os MSC Virtuosa.  The cruise is cut back to basics. Don’t expect anything more unless maybe in yacht club. We were given 9pm dining which is far too late for us.  So get them to change you to anytime dining or prebook  this first. 

The activities on the ship were non existent unless you wanted dance classes etc. And my last complaint was that there is no turn down service, you return after evening to a messy cabin and wet towels on the floor.  Too many cut backs for me, I’m afraid.

What does any of this have to do with upgrades?  If you want to report your experience, create a separate thread. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cjdbrit said:

Easy insurance claim. You will probably get paid within 30 days as long as you have the paperwork.

You will also get your travel expenses so submit everything and wait.

As stated, upgrade is handled by another company.

6 hours ago, kernow said:

Do they not require you to have insurance in the US? For cruises in Europe they do and they check you have it at embarkation, this would cover us if we had to cancel the cruise.

No, not required for US cruises

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kernow said:

Morgsmom is correct for U.S. cruises if you are a U.S. citizen, but if you are not a citizen of the U.S., you must prove insurance to board a cruise currently.

• Like 2

Latest update, I just received an email saying they are going to reimburse the upgrade due to it being Covid related. Which I very much appreciate! 
as for insurance I had on another part of this trip that was also canceled that we are also still waiting reimbursement for, the bid up portion was approved last minute so never thought to add to the existing policy. As last minute only reason we wouldn’t have cruised was because of Covid which I thought was covered by msc. 
Lastly. Making a claim on travel insurance has also become a real pain. In  fact traveling nowadays is nothing like it used to be and we love to travel but just not doing it as much anymore!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cjdbrit said:

Latest update, I just received an email saying they are going to reimburse the upgrade due to it being Covid related. Which I very much appreciate! 
as for insurance I had on another part of this trip that was also canceled that we are also still waiting reimbursement for, the bid up portion was approved last minute so never thought to add to the existing policy. As last minute only reason we wouldn’t have cruised was because of Covid which I thought was covered by msc. 
Lastly. Making a claim on travel insurance has also become a real pain. In  fact traveling nowadays is nothing like it used to be and we love to travel but just not doing it as much anymore!!

Glad you are getting reimbursed for the upgrade. That makes me feel better about considering an upgrade bid on my October cruise, if offered.