Rhodes optional tours

Msgolferfhcc

We scheduled an am optional tour and a different one in the afternoon. Then Viking changed both to afternoon to we’re currently twice booked. One is Mt Filerimos and Grand Masters while other is going to a private home. I want the first and my hubby the second because we have friends who wanted that.  Has anyone done either or? 

Went to Rhodes in Dec 2021. Took the Included tour. Which featured the palace of Grand masters. It was too many steps, very tiresome, and just not that interesting to me.  Would rather have just explored on our own.  The guide, however, was very good.

I guess you would have time to look at lovely Rhodes town in the morning, as well as tour the very splendid Palace of the Grand Master.  Would recommend googling Rhodes Town tourist information.  

A Rhodes town walk combined with the Grand Master's Palace appears to be the included tour ?

Personally I am not a big fan of private home tours  but I don't know what is included.  It would certainly be a mistake to miss Rhodes town.

I've heard that Viking excursion cancellations are a thing now. I'm easy-going, so it is what it is. But I just noticed that our Rhodes portstop on May 2nd lists all the excursions as sold out, even the Included Excursion. That's remarkable, considering we're still a month out.

Is there any reason why the 2 of you have to do the same tours.  You do the tour that you want to do and your husband can do the one that he wants to do.  We have even gone further on that issue is that my wife sometimes lets me do cruises by myself that she has zero interest in - mainly photo cruises and cruises to cold climate areas.  A good marriage does not require that you have to do everything together.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know, if it's available, but, when we stopped at Rhodes, we took a bus tour to Lindos, it was great.  It was several hours long and stopped at a factory store first that made dishes and bowls.  But, the Lindos ruins and views were great.  A little strenuous,  steps,  etc, but, well worth it.  The downside we need to go back, we didn't have much time to see the rest of Rhodes.   But, we did have a nice stop sitting over a square and had a light lunch and a glass of wine that was memorable. 

I have been to Rhodes twice on Oceania cruises. Rhodes Town is lovely. We spent the whole day there on our own the first time following a Rick Steves guide and then getting lost in the back alleys. The second time we went on an excursion on a boat from the harbor that takes you down the coast and we swam in several coves along the coast. It was great. I don't know how long you will be in port so that plays a factor what you do. I am not a fan of "in house" tours and you shouldn't miss the town itself. Other have gone to Lindos and visited the acropolis but it has a lot of stairs. The town of Lindos is small but very quaint. If Viking tours are booked, just book your own privately.

No matter which tour you do , be sure to  have a some food and glass of Local beer and Rhodes white wine. We looked down alleyways for a cafe off the main streets. 

Found a  small cafe with for tables outside their door in the alley way. We ordered cheese, basket of  bread and bowl of olives, plus the wine and beer. The olives were bright green small and fabulous. The bread was freshly baked and the cheese was a nice big brick of a feta type cheese. It was a lunch I will never forget. Perfect in every way. 

At the next table was a older gentleman with a beautiful young woman. They were feasting on lobster / seafood and wine. All of us enjoyed ourselves that day. 

Also after we went to the Grand Master  museum  , inner courtyard , which was beautiful with a nice inner garden, we went shopping. I got a beautiful pair of sandals and a big   purse made of the softest leather with the Greek Key design on the outside. I get more compliments on it to this day.

Second strip to Rhodes we took the  local bus to Lindos. Walked th quaint town visited the church, photographed all the unique  thresholds to the various doors of private redences Capped it off with another  GR luck on the top of a building with great views.

I love the Greek island. 

• Like 2