Uber at San Diego Cruise Terminal

clueless2

47 minutes ago, clueless2 said:

How easy is it to get an Uber at the terminal in San Diego?  We'll be there as a port stop and are considering take an Uber to and from the zoo.

Extremely easy-- have done it many times. You are essentially right downtown-- just like catching an Uber in any major city. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah...my plan for our port stop there on our April 30 cruise is to but a couple of Safari Park (formerly "Wild Animal Park") discount tickets via the AAA (for some reason that's where my wife wants to go this time) for $122 total inc. tax...and Uber to the park.  Princess wants $140 pp for its big bus "Safari Park on your own" shorex.  I figure we're on our own anyway and this way we'll be completely on our own time as to when we go and when we return...and we'll save about $100 in the process.  Just have to figure out whether to use UberX or to try the cheaper UberPool for the first time...There have to be others on the ship thinking the same thing... Anyone have experience with UberPool?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Just have to figure out whether to use UberX or to try the cheaper UberPool for the first time...There have to be others on the ship thinking the same thing... Anyone have experience with UberPool?

You can only request one seat with UberPool so wont work with your wife in tow. You'll have to do UberX if you both want to ride in the same car. 

42 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

The Safari Animal Park is quite far from downtown San Diego. It is in Escondido which is at least 40 min away. That would be an expensive Uber.

We're VERY familiar with the area...

Uber is showing something in the area of about $55 each way...Say it's about $120 round trip and $122 for tickets, it's still $38 less than the Princess shorex...and we could come and go at our leisure...Of course, we still might decide to do the zoo instead--much shorter, cheaper Uber ride...

27 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

We're VERY familiar with the area...

Uber is showing something in the area of about $55 each way...Say it's about $120 round trip and $122 for tickets, it's still $38 less than the Princess shorex...and we could come and go at our leisure...Of course, we still might decide to do the zoo instead--much shorter, cheaper Uber ride...

It might be cheaper to rent a car for the day 

1 hour ago, sandiego1 said:

It might be cheaper to rent a car for the day 

Sounds like an idea...but car rental prices lately are through the roof...and, it being a Sunday, neighborhood locations near the cruise port are closed.  Enterprise wants $90 a day minimum, Avis, $95...Figure you've got to add in paying for about four gallons of gas, minimum, at $6 per gallon and you're already up to about $120...plus, you have the hassle of getting to the car rental office--likely at the airport...and back plus stopping at a gas station...so, no money saved and less convenience...

It looks like it's either 1)  pre-purchase park tickets and hope Uber stays around $60 each way and spending around $242 for the day, risking Uber surge prices or rate jumps with the price of gas...or, 2) take away the risk and deal with the structure and just purchase the shorex for $280 guaranteed...or 3) scrap the whole idea and go to the zoo instead--same ticket price and maybe a $15 Uber ride each way...or 4) buy the zoo shorex for $220 total or 5) crapping the whole animal thing altogether and just walk around the Gaslamp or do a Harbor boat ride...or 6) Stay on the ship and relax...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

plus, you have the hassle of getting to the car rental office--likely at the airport...and back plus stopping at a gas station...so, no money saved and less convenience...

And the cost of getting to the rental counter, which is not at the airport, but in the newish San Diego Airport Consolidated Rental Car Center  and cost/hassle of getting back to the ship.

10 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

5) crapping the whole animal thing altogether and just walk around the Gaslamp or do a Harbor boat ride...or 6) Stay on the ship and relax...

The SD Trolley now goes to La Jolla (UCSD) with connector buses to the Village, which I find infinitely more entertaining than the Gaslamp Quarter.

Well...Figuring there may also be an issue with Uber raising fares due to increasing gas prices...and the same maybe also impacting availability, we decided to just keep it simple and go with the shorex--since my wife really wants to go to the Safari Park...We had planned on going when we were in the area in late December--but it was raining quite a bit. 

But, this gets good...See my new thread on the Princess board, here:

8 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

since my wife really wants to go to the Safari Park.

Seriously, I'd just drive down one weekend and spend a couple of nights at the Harrah's Resort or Pala Resort and go to the Safari Park and maybe a day in Temecula.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:36 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Yeah...my plan for our port stop there on our April 30 cruise is to but a couple of Safari Park (formerly "Wild Animal Park") 

You will love the Park.  I like it better than the zoo.  Try to book the wildlife safari that takes you out to the baby animal area and you get to hand feed the giraffes as they come running up to the safari truck.  If really adventures you could do the zip line over the outback.