2nd COVID vaccine booster

janetcbl

Yes

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

The FDA has just okayed a second COVID booster. For those of us over 50 this is welcome news for travel this Spring/Summer.

Yes it is! I This 70 year old is departing 4-18 for London, then the British Isles Cruise on the 22nd. I was hoping for the second booster before I go. 

Does a booster or vaccine impact a pre-travel test or onboard testing?  If so should we delay second booster until after trip?  We leave in 37 days…..not that I’m counting like an excitable child before Christmas 

5 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

Does a booster or vaccine impact a pre-travel test or onboard testing?  If so should we delay second booster until after trip?  We leave in 37 days…..not that I’m counting like an excitable child before Christmas 

We leave in a week, so I am asking the same question. I am inclined to wait, even though we had no reactions to any of our three earlier shots. I wouldn't want to risk anything, plus there is so much else to do before we leave that I think we will wait until we get home.

From the CDC.

FACT: None of the authorized and recommended COVID-19 vaccines can cause you to test positive on viral tests, which are used to see if you have a current infection.

COVID-19 vaccines do not create or cause variants of the virus that causes COVID-19.

If your body develops an immune response to vaccination, which is the goal, you may test positive on some antibody tests. Antibody tests indicate you had a previous infection and that you may have some level of protection against the virus.

It takes two weeks to develop a robust immune response after receiving any of the shots.  The second boost wasn't yet approved when our physician recommended we get the second boost, if it was approved, not less than 2 weeks before our cruise and 4  to 6 weeks if it was approved soon, which it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

Flyer55 thank you for this, but I am still a little confused.  I am five weeks from cruising.  Should I wait until I return for second boost, or can I get it up to two weeks prior to the cruise?

I don't see any reason for you to wait unless your first booster was four or fewer months ago.  If you get it ASAP you should be maximizing your immune response for your cruise.  My limited understanding is that it takes two weeks to get a robust immune response and then it continues to increase for a few more months, and then starts waning after 4 months.  We plan to get our shots the first week of May for a June 8 departure.  None of the vaccines are 100% against contracting Covid, but they do a good job of keeping you out of the hospital, and above ground.  The variants will always be a wild card in trying to keep ahead of this.

1 hour ago, Flyer55 said:

I don't see any reason for you to wait unless your first booster was four or fewer months ago.  If you get it ASAP you should be maximizing your immune response for your cruise.  My limited understanding is that it takes two weeks to get a robust immune response and then it continues to increase for a few more months, and then starts waning after 4 months.  We plan to get our shots the first week of May for a June 8 departure.  None of the vaccines are 100% against contracting Covid, but they do a good job of keeping you out of the hospital, and above ground.  The variants will always be a wild card in trying to keep ahead of this.

Thanks we got ours early November so we are 4 plus months 

11 hours ago, KBs mum said:

UK started 2nd boosters last week, some countries are on 4th or 5th

But not for everyone so let’s not get excited or develop booster snobbery if you can access more vaccinations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, uktog said:

But not for everyone so let’s not get excited or develop booster snobbery if you can access more vaccinations. 

I'm not doing booster snobbery, Israel is probably comfortably ahead of everywhere else, including us. Just mentioned it as a related bit of info

Well, I just did it! I made my 2nd booster appt for 4/1…I leave for the Grand European River Cruise on 4/24 (just over 3 weeks)…then I will be set up for my British Isles Cruise in August…I’m “one of those” people who does not want to wear a mask and who is nervous about false positives with daily testing…I’m longing for NORMAL! I’ll do whatever it takes to contribute to all of us getting over the fear and moving on with life…here is the thing… I have just now started backing off on work… I want to enjoy this time in my life…I’ve been looking forward to this semi-retirement…I don’t want to be living in fear…is anyone else getting the 2nd booster?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I’m longing for NORMAL!

Huh....starting to wonder anymore just exactly what that is?!  🤔 I think, as you mentioned, that "getting over the fear" is a big component. 

3 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

is anyone else getting the 2nd booster?

Definitely will...hopefully before an upcoming May cruise. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Haha, Booster Snobbery.  That's really running out of things to brag on isn't it?  "Hey, I just got my 43rd booster shot, how bout you?"  🍸

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

This article might be of interest.  Just published I think.

https://apple.news/A8fpMzMSgQZeMBkfk50_gcA

So the CDC has completely dropped its 2-year warning on cruise travel. Wonderful!

And, just to beat my usual drum here, the CDC — which isn’t exactly known for being blasé about Covid — deemed cruising safe enough to cancel its warning in spite of the lack of daily testing at every other cruise line.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

So the CDC has completely dropped its 2-year warning on cruise travel. Wonderful!

And, just to beat my usual drum here, the CDC — which isn’t exactly known for being blasé about Covid — deemed cruising safe enough to cancel its warning in spite of the lack of daily testing at every other cruise line.

This, in combination with most countries no longer requiring testing, should logically end testing requirements quickly... let's see what happens.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

This article might be of interest.  Just published I think.

https://apple.news/A8fpMzMSgQZeMBkfk50_gcA

And more good news:

"Australia will eliminate its pre-arrival test requirements for international travelers next month, just weeks after reopening its borders to the world." (Hopefully USA will drop its requirement for air travelers soon).

"Additionally, on April 17, Australia will also drop restrictions on cruise ships into and within Australian territory." (Anyone with plans to do VOC to Australia better hop to it - bookings may suddenly spike).

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/australia-to-eliminate-pre-departure-covid-test

• Like 4

19 hours ago, KBs mum said:

UK started 2nd boosters last week, some countries are on 4th or 5th

Sadly it's unlikely that most of us will be able to get a further booster until the autumn.  Currently it's only the over 75s and those who have serious health issues that are able to take advantage of boosters.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

LOL.....btw....looks like they pulled that 'rough night on the Sea" again!!!   It's gone....

I don't think I said anything wrong this time? However I speak and write standard English and two UK dialects, not US dialect. Our usage of the language in conversation is different. 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

LOL.....btw....looks like they pulled that 'rough night on the Sea" again!!!   It's gone....

4 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

I shouldn't have brought that topic back up I guess....I didn't anything offensive posted. 

You’re right!  Very odd. 🙄

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, Booster Snobbery.  That's really running out of things to brag on isn't it?  "Hey, I just got my 43rd booster shot, how bout you?"  🍸

You crack me up!!! I have to look high and low (ok...very low) for things to be proud of!  But honestly...I really hate fearful things and if there is anything I can do for myself to "feel" better, then I'm doing it!