2nd COVID vaccine booster

janetcbl

2 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

You crack me up!!! I have to look high and low (ok...very low) for things to be proud of!  But honestly...I really hate fearful things and if there is anything I can do for myself to "feel" better, then I'm doing it!

Love your dog...

On 3/29/2022 at 10:30 PM, Flyer55 said:

I don't see any reason for you to wait unless your first booster was four or fewer months ago.  If you get it ASAP you should be maximizing your immune response for your cruise.  My limited understanding is that it takes two weeks to get a robust immune response and then it continues to increase for a few more months, and then starts waning after 4 months.  We plan to get our shots the first week of May for a June 8 departure.  None of the vaccines are 100% against contracting Covid, but they do a good job of keeping you out of the hospital, and above ground.  The variants will always be a wild card in trying to keep ahead of this.

Ditto for us for a June 11 departure.

Ok…received my 2nd booster on Friday afternoon…arm sore for about 3 hours on Saturday morning…everyone reacts a little differently though. My last booster was in October, so based on what they are saying now, my immunity had just started ‘waning’. I leave for a River Cruise on the 24th of this month, so I should hit the high on my immunity right about the time I’m leaving then I have a big ‘butterfly’ River/Ocean cruise on 8/2…should still be at the height of immunity… I’m feeling pretty confident…I’m not planning on masking…I want to smile at everyone…I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the TSA will drop their mandate on the 18th of this month…for those that want to keep masking…do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel good and safe. If you can, get the 2nd booster, even if you are getting it just for travel…that’s why I got it

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Ok…received my 2nd booster on Friday afternoon…arm sore for about 3 hours on Saturday morning…everyone reacts a little differently though. My last booster was in October, so based on what they are saying now, my immunity had just started ‘waning’. I leave for a River Cruise on the 24th of this month, so I should hit the high on my immunity right about the time I’m leaving then I have a big ‘butterfly’ River/Ocean cruise on 8/2…should still be at the height of immunity… I’m feeling pretty confident…I’m not planning on masking…I want to smile at everyone…I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the TSA will drop their mandate on the 18th of this month…for those that want to keep masking…do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel good and safe. If you can, get the 2nd booster, even if you are getting it just for travel…that’s why I got it

Got our 2nd booster this morning!  But will probably keep wearing a mask indoors (I’m an old lady)…but feel more secure about traveling….everyone has to decide for him/herself what is best, and respect other people’s decision and act accordingly.

On 4/4/2022 at 7:36 AM, Let Me Travel! said:

if you are getting it just for travel…that’s why I got it

My wife discussed this at a recent doctor appointment and was told that it's highly recommended for anyone traveling. Makes sense to me. 

19 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

We got our second booster yesterday and I’m sore and exhausted today.  That is how I am with vaccines including MMR and shingles vaccines which I received in the past few years 

We got our second booster yesterday. Fortunately, minimal reaction. Sore arm and slight headache 

Thought timing was good for our departure 5/1. 
Hope everyone stays safe out there. 

My first trip is mid May so I’m getting my 4 th shot early May. Considering the rapid waning of immunity for infection though not serious illness, I’m wondering what people with multiple trips are thinking. I’m going again in early Fall? 

On 4/9/2022 at 11:59 AM, tobique33040 said:

My first trip is mid May so I’m getting my 4 th shot early May. Considering the rapid waning of immunity for infection though not serious illness, I’m wondering what people with multiple trips are thinking. I’m going again in early Fall? 

Oh that makes me think…and laugh at myself! I just got my 2nd booster on 4/1for a 4/27 River Cruise… I have an entire month cruise in August…should I get a 3rd booster (5th shot) in mid July for the August cruise???? I’m frustrated!!! Are the vaccines useful or not? Am I putting chemicals in my body for good or ill?  How many “boosters” will I need? Wii 47 boosters do the trick?

25 minutes ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Oh that makes me think…and laugh at myself! I just got my 2nd booster on 4/1for a 4/27 River Cruise… I have an entire month cruise in August…should I get a 3rd booster (5th shot) in mid July for the August cruise???? I’m frustrated!!! Are the vaccines useful or not? Am I putting chemicals in my body for good or ill?  How many “boosters” will I need? Wii 47 boosters do the trick?

Maybe ----- but by then you'll have several more arms to put them in.

• Haha 3

Yes,Let me Travel, I’m wondering more about efficacy in preventing any infection so I don’t test positive and have to cancel a trip. I do think the vaccines are effective, certainly against serious illness, hospitalization and the unthinkable. I guess these vaccines are really a miracle if used. One problem, of course, is too many people refusing to be vaccinated which leads to continued new strains. And as far as chemicals, our bodies are so filled with chemicals as a result of industrial pollution, that these life saving vaccines are the least of our worries. Just curious what others are doing with multiple trips. I think peak efficiency is four months out, then a gradual deterioration, but only against actual infection, which would mainly lead to asymptomatic or mild infection. 

You are right, the peak efficiency of the vaccine is 4 months.  IMO, eventually it will be treated like the flu.  We had our 4th shots last week and we have lots of travel plans this year.  Here in the north I think we'll be good 'til the fall as we will be outdoors a lot of the time.  In our province, it is estimated that there are 100,000 new cases a day (probably more).  So with a population of 15,000,000, everyone will have had Omicron in 150 days (probably less).

If a variant similar to Delta comes along again and they can't tweak the vaccines, which is doubtful, that's a different story.

I have mixed feelings about Viking testing everyday.  We sail in May.  I have no idea if i've had Omicron, but it could still show up on a test 90 days out.  For that I need a doctor's letter.  How can I get that if I don't know I've had it?

1 hour ago, millybess said:

You are right, the peak efficiency of the vaccine is 4 months.  IMO, eventually it will be treated like the flu.  We had our 4th shots last week and we have lots of travel plans this year.  Here in the north I think we'll be good 'til the fall as we will be outdoors a lot of the time.  In our province, it is estimated that there are 100,000 new cases a day (probably more).  So with a population of 15,000,000, everyone will have had Omicron in 150 days (probably less).

If a variant similar to Delta comes along again and they can't tweak the vaccines, which is doubtful, that's a different story.

I have mixed feelings about Viking testing everyday.  We sail in May.  I have no idea if i've had Omicron, but it could still show up on a test 90 days out.  For that I need a doctor's letter.  How can I get that if I don't know I've had it?

If you had it, but don't know you had it - an antibody test may be the way to go.

I had Covid in October 2021 (likely Delta): I was double vaxxed at the time - tested positive a couple of days after I got home from a trip to Arizona. It wasn't too bad in my case - some fever and night sweats, fatigue, loss of smell/taste (wife had the same) - mostly OK after 36 hours (I have had a couple of flu that were much worse in the past, but I concede everyone reacts differently). So in February, before I went to get booster (shot #3), my doc wanted me to get antibody test - I had very strong immune response still after 5 months. He suggested I could wait on the booster, but at the time it was necessary for travel, so I got it in March. 

My point being - I think natural immunity response after an infection lasts a lot longer than it is typically given credit for, and an antibody test may provide you some insight and encouragement if you do feel you may have had Covid recently.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 12:57 PM, PasadenaDave said:

Does a booster or vaccine impact a pre-travel test or onboard testing? 

No, but that shouldn't stop anyone from getting the booster; we got it as soon as it was available.

26 minutes ago, longterm said:

No, but that shouldn't stop anyone from getting the booster; we got it as soon as it was available.

We got ours last Thursday for a flight May 4 to Istanbul.  Glad that you had a good cruise, I enjoyed your updates.

Since you are a musician, I will sign off with what Rocky on "As Time Goes By" used to say,

Rock On.

• Like 1