Ovation March 13th and Covid

AtA

We just got off of Ovation on Sunday the 27th. We enjoyed probably the best CD anywhere at sea (Ross Roberts) and staff that was as good as we had experienced on our now defunct cruise line. We had liked a lot of what we had experienced until about 8 days into our cruise. However let me start from the beginning.

We were told we'd be tested before boarding on March 13th. When we got there, there was no testing at all. According to a staff member, corporate decided they wanted to test whether they needed to test anymore and used us as guinea pigs. We were even told by the staff member that they too were unhappy with the idea of no testing at the pier. 

As mentioned everything was fine until about day 8 or 9 when I read on the Seabourn FB Friends page about covid onboard. I inquired about it and was told that none of the staff had been alerted to any covid onboard. That is, until the next morning! I spoke to someone else, and they asked if I'd like the Doctor to get in touch with me? I did and he got in touch with me the next morning. At that point the doctor confirmed there was covid onboard but refused to let us know how many cases citing confidentiality (I realize that they can't tell who had covid but since when are the number infected going to cause a confidentiality issue?) We asked if all the passengers would be informed so they could make a decision to mask up again if they wanted. We were told no they wouldn't.

So we went to a senior staff member to discuss the matter with them. This staff member told us corporate didn't want us knowing because it would "panic" the guests. So what they were saying is they preferred to keep us in the dark regarding our health versus informing us so we as individuals could decide how much contact we felt confortable with and whether or not we preferred to mask up since almost no one was masked at that point.

Well it turns out after that someone I had sat next to at tea came down with covid along with their spouse and were sent to quarantine, That person mentioned how they could see there were 5 of them on the covid wing. This on a ship with only 450 pax at the time. The person I had sat next to at tea asked the doctor if he wanted the names of their close contacts. The doctor said it wasn't necessary! This was on Friday and we were all leaving the ship on Sunday. What if some of us where covid positive bringing it home to others? (As soon as we got home, we did test and thankfully we were negative.)

On the Friday before getting off, they tested those pax who were staying on to go to Europe. Apparently 3 other pax who were slated to go onto Europe tested positive, yet once again, nothing was said. I spoke to at least a dozen pax who had no clue there was covid onboard and they were not happy since if they had known, they would have at least put back their masks.

We can't eliminate covid and if we cruise we all take somewhat of a chance even if vaccinated and boosted. However, if there is an outbreak onboard, I expected to be informed so I could make an informed decision as to how I wanted to then conduct myself. 

Additionally, the Ovation was given a status of Orange by the CDC and were required to follow certain protocols which can be read about on the CDC website. They were NOT following the protocols!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I remember that on our former now defunct cruise line, there was an obvious and active response to a Noro outbreak. I'm not bothered by the non testing but I am bothered by the rather secretive non responses to Covid questions when people are really concerned. Of course there was always that respiratory bug but that went around....that was never publicized and I caught it every time!

Edited by suzeluvscruz

2 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

I remember that on our former now defunct cruise line, there was an obvious and active response to a Noro outbreak. I'm not bothered by the non testing but I am bothered by the rather secretive non responses to Covid questions when people are really concerned. Of course there was always that respiratory bug but that went around....that was never publicized and I caught it every time!

LOL and then when I got home, I seemed to have caught it too. 

Terrible  action by cruise line with  their  testing for  COVID.

But then I travel on Viking which test folks every day. Feel totally  fine with that protocol. Good luck to you all. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AtA said:

We were told we'd be tested before boarding on March 13th. When we got there, there was no testing at all. According to a staff member, corporate decided they wanted to test whether they needed to test anymore and used us as guinea pigs.

I for one want to make two points.

1) What they did, not letting guests know before, during, or after embarkation process was wrong.

2) I will be interested to hear from others that embarked after your sail date experienced similar protocols.

Opinions stated ore my own.

Edited by rucrazy
  • Like 1

We boarded last Sunday (27th) and there was no embarkation testing at the pier.  Initially there was no mask mandate for passengers although the crew still has a mask mandate.  Yesterday (the third day of our crossing) we received a written notice that passengers were to follow the  “European rules) and wear masks in public spaces when not eating or drinking.  This new rule is being somewhat follows with no big effort at enforcement.  But it is really a joke as one could go to any of the bars that can often be packed with nobody masking.

There have been no announcements or much talk about COVID.  Like most crossings it is a very experienced group of cruisers who appear to be determined to live a normal life.  As I now sit in Seabourn Square having coffee I am looking at  5passengers standing at the counter with 3 masked and 2 not masked.

If there are any COVID cases aboard, nothing has been said to the passengers.

Hank

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AtA said:

As mentioned everything was fine until about day 8 or 9 when I read on the Seabourn FB Friends page about covid onboard.

A follow-up question please:

Could Covid had been brought on board at a port of call after sail away?

I am actually hoping they will continue to loosen restrictions. I am boosted, had Omicron and ready to travel. My kids go to school and activities with no masks or testing. I can eat out and go to the mall or ball game or even fly across the country. I think the only reason they are finding Covid on cruises is the unnecessary testing of everyone. Cruise ships are just as safe as anywhere else and I personally think they are safer than air travel. I do believe that if you are concerned you should continue to mask though. I am pretty confident I am immune at this point but not sure how long it will last. As bad as Omicron was, I’m sure I’m not the only one. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We boarded last Sunday (27th) and there was no embarkation testing at the pier.  Initially there was no mask mandate for passengers although the crew still has a mask mandate.  Yesterday (the third day of our crossing) we received a written notice that passengers were to follow the  “European rules) and wear masks in public spaces when not eating or drinking.  This new rule is being somewhat follows with no big effort at enforcement.  But it is really a joke as one could go to any of the bars that can often be packed with nobody masking.

There have been no announcements or much talk about COVID.  Like most crossings it is a very experienced group of cruisers who appear to be determined to live a normal life.  As I now sit in Seabourn Square having coffee I am looking at  5passengers standing at the counter with 3 masked and 2 not masked.

If there are any COVID cases aboard, nothing has been said to the passengers.

Hank

The crew's mask mandate was supposed to have ended on this sailing, but obviously it didn't (Likely due to Covid present).  

We knew of at least 3 people who went into quarantine on the prior sailing and were doing the crossing, so, yes, there were likely some passengers with Covid when the ship left Miami on Sunday.

People were NOT tested unless they were ill, so saying the cases are showing up because of testing is wrong.  THey were not testing close contacts of those who were ill either.

Based on the timing, Most likely came aboard from one of the port stops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rucrazy said:

A follow-up question please:

Could Covid had been brought on board at a port of call after sail away?

The answer is yes. Or it could have been a waitstaff host/hostess in one of the specialty restaurants. I say that because we saw this person on the first night, then again 2 days later and then not again until the last day of the cruise. We had been told this person had been not feeling well.

• Thanks 1

On the March 13th sailing, there were at least 8 cases of guest in quarantine on deck 5.  On the current March 27th sailing, I have 3 friends in quarantine on deck 5 with symptoms.  Most guests are not wearing their mask in public.  Last night in the Grand Salon, almost no guests were wearing their masks in the confined space with plenty of coughing during the performance.

4 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

On the March 13th sailing, there were at least 8 cases of guest in quarantine on deck 5.  On the current March 27th sailing, I have 3 friends in quarantine on deck 5 with symptoms.  Most guests are not wearing their mask in public.  Last night in the Grand Salon, almost no guests were wearing their masks in the confined space with plenty of coughing during the performance.

And according to CDC guidelines, when the ship is Orange (which Ovation is), they are required to inform the passengers that there is covid onboard. 

If anyone has genuine concerns of catching COVID on a cruise ship, what is stopping that person from protecting themself with a KN95 mask?  The cruise line has not made a rule banishing masks from public spaces and you are free to give yourself that added protection.  Anyone who chooses to cruise on this cruise line has provided proof of vaccination so in the event you do indeed catch it, your symptoms should be mild.  Both of my parents are currently on this ship doing the crossing and we had this conversation before they left.  At times, they both choose to wear masks for their own protection.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Do you actually believe that in a time of a highly contagious virus, there will not be cases in closely defined areas? We were on the March 13 cruise and knew there were some COVID cases on deck 5. The surprise would have been if there weren't any. If you are uncomfortable with that reality, then wear a mask or stay home. The cruise line should not have to emphasize what is obvious. This will probably be the circumstance of cruise ships for at least another year. I am thankful that Seabourn did not spread an alarm and institute masking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, billdip said:

I am thankful that Seabourn did not spread an alarm and institute masking.

You might want to read about the absolute mess on a recent Silversea cruise in Antartica, where so many crew members became ill that some restaurants were closed and the main dining room became a buffet, and many planned activities were canceled. That is why cruise lines should be more transparent about Covid cases on ships. It need not be an alarm; anyone cruising knows this is our current reality. But if knowledge that multiple passengers and crew have recently fallen ill, it might encourage people to wear masks in the public venues for awhile, to avoid getting the virus themselves or passing it on to others. And that can help the chances for continuance of a relatively normal cruise, and prevent it from becoming the major disappointment of that Silversea cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billdip said:

Do you actually believe that in a time of a highly contagious virus, there will not be cases in closely defined areas? We were on the March 13 cruise and knew there were some COVID cases on deck 5. The surprise would have been if there weren't any. If you are uncomfortable with that reality, then wear a mask or stay home. The cruise line should not have to emphasize what is obvious. This will probably be the circumstance of cruise ships for at least another year. I am thankful that Seabourn did not spread an alarm and institute masking.

Actually the two cruises previous to the one we were on with you had NO COVID CASES. I know this for a fact since I had friends on both of the two previous sailings. And when I sailed another cruise line in Sept/Oct on a back2back, there were quite a few cases on the first sailing but none on the second. On our second cruise in Dec on another cruise line, there were no cases onboard.

So while there's no guarantee there will be cases onboard, there is also no guarantee there won't be cases onboard. And after 1 week on the cruise many who were wearing masks in the beginning started to let their guard down.

And despite what you say, in reality if they're following CDC guidelines, which they claim they are, they are required to let passengers know there is covid onboard. And because they were designated Orange, technically they were required to reinstitute masking which they didn't do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AtA said:

And despite what you say, in reality if they're following CDC guidelines, which they claim they are, they are required to let passengers know there is covid onboard. And because they were designated Orange, technically they were required to reinstitute masking which they didn't do.

Help me out.  I checked the CDC website which states that if the CDC is considering moving a ship to Red status it may require one or more of several steps, which include reinstating masking requirements and notifying passengers of the ship's covid status. I see no such requirement for Orange status, which the Ovation was throughout the cruise.  Happy to stand corrected.

I was a passenger, I thought Seabourn handled Covid protocols appropriately throughout, and I tested positive for Covid after returning home with mild symptoms. No idea where or when I picked it up.  Would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lovetotravel7890 said:

Help me out.  I checked the CDC website which states that if the CDC is considering moving a ship to Red status it may require one or more of several steps, which include reinstating masking requirements and notifying passengers of the ship's covid status. I see no such requirement for Orange status, which the Ovation was throughout the cruise.  Happy to stand corrected.

I was a passenger, I thought Seabourn handled Covid protocols appropriately throughout, and I tested positive for Covid after returning home with mild symptoms. No idea where or when I picked it up.  Would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

From "Technical Instructions for CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. Waters:"

Symptomatic Travelers

All travelers onboard the cruise ship with signs and symptoms of COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status, must be isolated and tested for SARS-CoV-2 infection immediately upon notifying medical staff of symptom onset. Results must be reported to CDC in aggregate through the EDC form.

Close Contacts

Because of the potential for asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, it is important that close contacts of individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection be quickly identified and tested.

Outbreak Public Health Interventions (for ships to consider when in Orange status)

• Require mask use by passengers when indoors and any crowded outdoor settings, regardless of vaccination status.

• Provide all passengers with well-fitting, high-quality masks or respirators, such as KN95s.

• Test all passengers prior to the end of the voyage, regardless of their vaccination status.

• Send written notification to passengers on the current, previous, and subsequent voyages informing them of the COVID-19 conditions and measures being taken to reduce transmission on board.

The ship refused to take any of the measures suggested by the CDC.    On the next sailing, we are told that masks are now required indoors (but many not wearing them).  Also, the ship DECLINED to even know who close contacts were. 

With respect to Close Contacts, below is the language from the CDC Instructions. Seabourn did none of this, keeping their head in the sand, not wanting to even know who the Close Contacts were.  Thus, people such as you disembarked unknowingly carrying & possibly spreading the virus.  Good to hear that your symptoms were mild, as are most. But at least one of the infected passengers on the ship had somewhat severe symptoms.

Onboard COVID-19 Testing for Symptomatic Travelers (Crew and Passengers) and Close Contacts

Close Contacts

Because of the potential for asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, it is important that close contacts of individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection be quickly identified and tested.

• Travelers who Are Up to Date with their COVID-19 Vaccines: These close contacts must quarantine until at least 5 full days after their last exposure (the day of last close contact is counted as day 0). They must receive a viral test (NAAT or antigen, NAAT preferred) immediately and on day 5 (or later) before ending quarantine. They may end quarantine after 5 days if they remain asymptomatic after 5 days and both viral tests are negative. Alternatively, cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may opt to test these travelers with a viral test daily until 5 days after their last exposure in lieu of a 5-day quarantine.
    • For a full 10-day period after their last exposure, these individuals must have in-cabin dining and properly wear a well-fitting mask at all times when outside of their cabin (indoors and outdoors). They must also wear a well-fitting mask inside their cabin if any other person (e.g., a crew member) enters the cabin.

Perhaps I could have been more clear.  AtA stated that Seabourn was "...required to let passengers know there is covid onboard" and "technically they were required to reinstitute masking"

I see suggestions by the CDC and steps for ships to consider, but I see no requirements to do either while Ovation was in Orange status. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gwesq said:

The crew's mask mandate was supposed to have ended on this sailing, but obviously it didn't (Likely due to Covid present).  

We knew of at least 3 people who went into quarantine on the prior sailing and were doing the crossing, so, yes, there were likely some passengers with Covid when the ship left Miami on Sunday.

People were NOT tested unless they were ill, so saying the cases are showing up because of testing is wrong.  THey were not testing close contacts of those who were ill either.

Based on the timing, Most likely came aboard from one of the port stops.

People WERE tested that were not ill, pax going on the TA so you are incorrect stating cases showing up because of testing is wrong.

The first couple, no, they had symptoms but when they tested on Thursday? Friday?, can’t remember cases jumped.  I actually saw one of them being escorted down to deck five.

I knew Covid was onboard and surmised who one couple was (in the retreat nine days and then gone) but I wasn’t worried.  It was a great cruise. 

I wore a mask most of the time, did not go on excursions, and tried to stay away from groups when I could.  Tested negative when I got home.  

Edited by purpleally
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, purpleally said:

wore a mask most of the time, did not go on excursions, and tried to stay away from groups when I could

That is our current game plan for our upcoming holiday cruise. 👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, purpleally said:

People WERE tested that were not ill, pax going on the TA so you are incorrect stating cases showing up because of testing is wrong.

The first couple, no, they had symptoms but when they tested on Thursday? Friday?, can’t remember cases jumped.  I actually saw one of them being escorted down to deck five.

I knew Covid was onboard and surmised who one couple was (in the retreat nine days and then gone) but I wasn’t worried.  It was a great cruise. 

I wore a mask most of the time, did not go on excursions, and tried to stay away from groups when I could.  Tested negative when I got home.  

Correct - the 44 (?) people who were going on the TA were tested due to requirements of the Country they were going to.  It hadn't occurred to me until just now that 3 out of 44 is not a good ratio.

I thought it was you who posted you saw the first couple being escorted from 10?  They were symptomatic, and we were in close contact with them.  But, like you, we were usually masked, and tested negative when we got home.  We were in a definite minority.  

15 minutes ago, gwesq said:

Correct - the 44 (?) people who were going on the TA were tested due to requirements of the Country they were going to.  It hadn't occurred to me until just now that 3 out of 44 is not a good ratio.

I thought it was you who posted you saw the first couple being escorted from 10?  They were symptomatic, and we were in close contact with them.  But, like you, we were usually masked, and tested negative when we got home.  We were in a definite minority.  

No, I didn’t see the first couple.  They spent most of their time at the Retreat, unless there was another couple.  The number I “heard” when we disembarked was eight.

I saw someone after the TA testing, which was 66 people tested.

4 hours ago, Lovetotravel7890 said:

I tested positive for Covid after returning home with mild symptoms. No idea where or when I picked it up.  Would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Having done two wonderful cruises in the past six months (and fortunately having avoided Covid), I understand your sentiment. The only problem is that for a small percentage of travelers, it doesn't work out as well as it did for you. Some get a positive test result and can't board after having flown to their port of embarkation. Some get symptoms onboard and are put in isolation onboard for 5 or more days. Some are escorted off the ship and placed in a hotel for isolation for 5 or more days before they can fly home. And some get seriously ill. (If you read the story about the couple on a recent Princess cruise for their 30th anniversary where one was pretty seriously ill, isolated on the ship, then put in a hotel with little support, it's rather heartbreaking. And most cruisers' worst fear.)

For some of us, the fear of getting seriously ill is small enough that we're willing to travel. But for many, the concern that we could be denied boarding, or put in isolation on the ship — or worse, off the ship — creates legitimate anxiety about cruising.

If there were no Covid testing by cruise lines, airlines, or countries, and if a case of Covid was treated like the flu or other illness where you'd just stay in your cabin for a few days until you felt better, I think most people would feel comfortable traveling and taking the odds that they wouldn't get Covid, and if they did it wouldn't be too severe. But that's just not yet reality.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2