Formal night dress?

MaryJulian

8 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Totally agree, depending on if we are flying or driving to port will dictate what we pack for a cruise.  I guess as I’m getting older just don't want to have to go through all the trouble of formal wear and formal dress shoes. 😂

Same with us.

We've been driving for over 25 years and could bring as much formal clothing as we like, but decided that's not what we enjoy. When Princess decided to let the passengers decide for themselves how to dress up we've been happy ever since to do our own thing.

The days of sequin dresses & high heels are long gone for me, given way to flats and a pair of black slacks. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, mtnesterz said:

The OP and an early poster describe what they wore, or want to wear on Formal Night. What they describe is what I would call work attire. Who wants to wear work clothes on vacation?

The formal wearers here all describe or post photos of tuxes or dinner jackets. A dinner jacket or tuxedo are party wear for men. Princess is in the business of making the ordinary special and memorable and that's why formal nights are offered.

A tip to the casual crowd, do not wear your work clothes on formal night. The mind forms patterns. You're there to enjoy yourself, not work. No wonder some people resent dressing for dinner! At one time I didn't get it, but I do now.  Wearing a tux or dinner jacket makes a difference in the experience.

I find it funny what you're referring to as "work clothes".  I retired from an IT company and, for us, "work clothes" were t-shirts and jeans.  In the summer if you wore socks to work, people worried that you might be going to an after-work job interview. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mpk said:

In what region was that cruise?   Some are more relaxed than others.

This was a 10-day Panama Canal cruise, and it was a much older demographic of passengers on this particular sailing.  Average ages 65 & up, (we are in our late 50's).  Like I said there were a lot who dressed very casually on formal night, it is usually the 2 nights we try to dress up a little.  But next cruise I will probably leave my husbands suit at home. 😉

1 hour ago, Don9992 said:

I find it funny what you're referring to as "work clothes".  I retired from an IT company and, for us, "work clothes" were t-shirts and jeans.  In the summer if you wore socks to work, people worried that you might be going to an after-work job interview. 

Thank you for clarifying my point, which I see another poster quoted me, and didn't get. Oh well. What you wear to work, you wouldn't wear in an interview, to church, a wedding...

There's an old saying, "The job isn't over until the work clothes come off." 

I didn't write anyone must dress to meet a rule, or to please someone they don't know, but instead to maximize enjoyment of their vacation. For myself and other posters here, going Black Tie on Formal Night hits the mark. It may be like trying to explaining jazz to someone. Folks either get it or they don't. But I recommend it as worth the effort.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 3:50 AM, rjp50 said:

I'm still a bit confused.  Is there a difference between European cruises and Caribbean cruises?  We will be on a 2 week cruise on the Regal on the Mediterranean but will have about a week before and after doing land travel that involves schlepping suitcases through train stations and walking to hotels.  If I can get by without even a sports jacket that will ultimately be a wrinkled mess it would be a major relief to me.  Dressing to the nines may be great for someone who flies to the port gets on the ship and then flies home, but for those of us who add land travel where you need to handle your own luggage it is a major and unnecessary pain.

You also have to differentiate between cruises from the UK and cruises from elsewhere in Europe. Cruises from the UK people will tend to dress up even more than the rest of Europe. I do agree that if in the Caribbean or anywhere else exceptionally warm then a hot dinner jacket is not good which is why they have the white jackets for tropical weather.  Ladies fare much better as they don’t have to wear a jacket. 

I have to agree with others that say if there is a dress code they should stick to it. If you go out for a meal in a nice restaurant when at home you wouldn’t go out dressed like some of the people do on formal nights. The lack of adherence to dress code is the one downside to Princess Cruises. 

1 hour ago, Don9992 said:

lolol...I also work for an IT company (although we work from home now, even pre-Covid) . But yeah back in the office days anyone who showed up in something beyond jeans was immediately suspect!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Don9992 said:

The opposite here…..

Arrive at my offices wearing jeans and T…

Sent home…

Next flight…

Contract cancelled…

Bye…

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The opposite here…..

Arrive at my offices wearing jeans and T…

Sent home…

Next flight…

Contract cancelled…

Bye…

Agree. Which is why they had Dress down Friday in lots of offices so people could dress down on the Friday. But even then you wouldn’t dream of wearing what some of the people think is OK for formal nights. 

Edited by Jazzytelly

3 hours ago, 1965 said:

Is anyone else kind of happy about this debate/discussion? It means cruising is returning to near normal again. Covid no longer dominates us. ♡

I think you're right 🙂    But it won't be completely normal until the lounge hog threads start up again.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mpk said:

I think you're right 🙂    But it won't be completely normal until the lounge hog threads start up 

In the interest of things returning to normal, you may like to read, Reserved Seating in the Show Lounge, started Friday by MissP22, who also posted above.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

In the interest of things returning to normal, you may like to read, Reserved Seating in the Show Lounge, started Friday by MissP22, who also posted above.

Lol. I've been following that one. Can the disappearance of barrel chairs & butter rationing be far behind? It will be just like the good ol' days. 😁

Edited by 1965