Portland to Seattle

HelloKittysMum

My son is traveling independently and needs to get from Portland to Seattle on May 2nd for Carnival Splendor to Alaska.

There is a train at 8.20 which arrives OK but if for any reason that was cancelled he woudl be struggling to get there on time.

There is also a Greyhound option which leaves 10.30 and gets in around 2.

Would welcome thougths of any locals.

(Or if anyone is travelling from Portland to Seattle on 2ns May he woudl happily chip in for fuel)

I would also book Amtrak as the train is the comfiest option - but if he wanted to play REALLY safe booking both a train and bus ticket so he has an immediate fallback with a guaranteed seat would not be super-expensive. This service does run late fairly often, but not REALLY late very often, as it originates in Eugene at 5:30am the same morning - there are no long stops at any stations to allow for catching up if the train is delayed by freight etc. so it often accumulates minutes, rather than hours, of delay by the time it gets to PDX.

Bolt ceased operating unfortunately, but as well as Greyhound there's Flixbus - the timing on this works better for a 'take the bus unless it is late, then take the train as a backup' than the other way around as the first bus is 7am. You can even book a 'double seat all for me, no neighbour' option on Flix for ~US$20 including all fees right now. Getting from the Flix stop to PDX rail station couldn't be easier, as the Flix stop is at Union Station, just like the train - Greyhound uses the main bus station which is still very close, about 300 yards away.

• Like 1

I've both taken the train and flown to Seattle to meet a cruise ship.  I wouldn't rule out flying.  It may not be all that more expensive than the train.  Plus you can take the light rail to downtown for a reasonable fee.

I would book the train for the day before. Often take this train and earlier this week we were delayed a title but due to track maintenance. If you fly and have lots of luggage the light rail can be a pain. Plus it has a fax zillion stops and takes quite awhile 

Driving north on I-5, particularly thru Tacoma, Federal Way - generally south of Seattle can be a nightmare, so I would not count on it being just a 3 hour drive.  In addition, the rental car would have to be dropped off and transportation to the pier would need to be arranged.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Driving north on I-5, particularly thru Tacoma, Federal Way - generally south of Seattle can be a nightmare, so I would not count on it being just a 3 hour drive.  In addition, the rental car would have to be dropped off and transportation to the pier would need to be arranged.

You drop off the car at the airport and then take a cruise shuttle to the cruise port.  ✌️