Which areas to stay in Boston pre-cruise?

Cruise  is  10/16 -  10/23.   Flying in.  Have  never been before so want to do some sightseeing and EATING...  Do see  many waterfront hotels are $300+ per night.   Couple of questions please.

Rates may be less AFTER the cruise so that might be an option.

Is  local transportation (bus, trolly) from areas further out from the waterfront easy?   If staying at the airport area hotels, are shuttles available into town?

Any suggestions for areas further out?  

Suggestions for hotel to port transport?  

Thanks much for any suggestions/guidance.  

38 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Cruise  is  10/16 -  10/23.   Flying in.  Have  never been before so want to do some sightseeing and EATING...  Do see  many waterfront hotels are $300+ per night.   Couple of questions please.

Rates may be less AFTER the cruise so that might be an option.

Is  local transportation (bus, trolly) from areas further out from the waterfront easy?   If staying at the airport area hotels, are shuttles available into town?

Any suggestions for areas further out?  

Suggestions for hotel to port transport?  

Thanks much for any suggestions/guidance.  

Hi again Beth & Bailey. Please don't think badly of a Bostonian who answers with "you get what you pay for".  It is their way of getting your attention and saying they would not consider staying there themselves. Most downtown hotels are old, have small rooms and lack in comfort features but charge a high rate because of their "downtown location"; think historic district.  I'm an old Bostonian who moved south 10 years ago.  We've cruised out of Boston and stayed in hotels too as well as we sail on August 31 from Boston.  Take a look at the Bostonian Hotel.  I also have the Hilton Downtown Faneuil Hall booked and will let one go once I know what my friends decide to do. Taxi or Uber from the airport will be necessary to and from the airport and terminal; be prepared for$20 +/- for a fare.  If you stay in the Theatre district, subway (the T) might be best or just plain walking everywhere.  I used to be able to do that when younger.  If you pick a hotel because of lower price in Cambridge, Chelsea or by the airport, you will need to factor in costs and time lost for commuting into historic sites and restaurants areas. There are many famous and large hospitals in downtown Boston; you don't want to stay close to them due to sirens and possible drug traffic. Think Methodone clinic.  We stayed in the Courtyard by Marriott on Tremont St. for a wedding and all we heard was sirens and drums for two nights;  Fire Station, Tufts New England Medicine and the Blu Man Group were going late into the nights.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

Hi again Beth & Bailey. Please don't think badly of a Bostonian who answers with "you get what you pay for".  It is their way of getting your attention and saying they would not consider staying there themselves. Most downtown hotels are old, have small rooms and lack in comfort features but charge a high rate because of their "downtown location"; think historic district.  I'm an old Bostonian who moved south 10 years ago.  We've cruised out of Boston and stayed in hotels too as well as we sail on August 31 from Boston.  Take a look at the Bostonian Hotel.  I also have the Hilton Downtown Faneuil Hall booked and will let one go once I know what my friends decide to do. Taxi or Uber from the airport will be necessary to and from the airport and terminal; be prepared for$20 +/- for a fare.  If you stay in the Theatre district, subway (the T) might be best or just plain walking everywhere.  I used to be able to do that when younger.  If you pick a hotel because of lower price in Cambridge, Chelsea or by the airport, you will need to factor in costs and time lost for commuting into historic sites and restaurants areas. There are many famous and large hospitals in downtown Boston; you don't want to stay close to them due to sirens and possible drug traffic. Think Methodone clinic.  We stayed in the Courtyard by Marriott on Tremont St. for a wedding and all we heard was sirens and drums for two nights;  Fire Station, Tufts New England Medicine and the Blu Man Group were going late into the nights.

Good Luck.

Thanks so very much.  I do appreciate your details.  I think when someone posts a comment such as you get what you pay for...... a negative connotation immediately pops up, whereas a bit more explanation such as your provided would have been so much more helpful.   I've cousins that live in Mansfield (not seen in over 40 years) but they just said we could stay with them and they'd get us to/from the train.  

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

That weekend is Head of the Charles. There will be nothing in the area less than $300 a night.

This is the event that was going to happen when our cruise was canceled in 2020.  I should have thought to see if it was going to impact when I rescheduled.  My bad.  lol.  I think perhaps coming in the day of and then staying afterwards might be a thought.

2 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Thanks so very much.  I do appreciate your details.  I think when someone posts a comment such as you get what you pay for...... a negative connotation immediately pops up, whereas a bit more explanation such as your provided would have been so much more helpful.   I've cousins that live in Mansfield (not seen in over 40 years) but they just said we could stay with them and they'd get us to/from the train.  

The MBTA commuter rail line runs through Mansfield to South Station, about a mile from Flynn Terminal. From SS, you can take then take SL2bus/train and get off at Dry Dock Ave. That second leg is $2. You can purchase tickets for commuter rail on the train. About an hour total travel time.

If you like seafood, ask your family about Fresh Catch - heading there tonight. 

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

5 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Catching up with family is great. It's just another memory of your trip.

If anyone else is cruising out of Boston that week, they are best to stay at the Seaport or Logan airport area.

18 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

I've cousins that live in Mansfield (not seen in over 40 years) but they just said we could stay with them and they'd get us to/from the train.  

https://www.massport.com/logan-airport/to-from-logan/transportation-options/logan-express/braintree/

When you arrive in BOS, suggest taking Logan Express to Braintree and have your relatives pick up up there. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from Braintree back to Mansfield, depending on traffic. Buy the tickets ahead of time, too, it saves a few $$.   The coach stops at every terminal, the driver loads your luggage into the hold and when you arrive at Braintree, he'll unload your luggage onto the curb. When we fliy out of BOS, we always park at Braintree and take LXpress to the airport. Parking is only $7. day. 

Darcy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 4:39 PM, cappy09 said:

Thank you a million times over.  I just saved $885.00 total on our 5/7 & 5/15 Mariner B2B.  Remind me to buy you a drink when we meet onboard.  I am still in shock never ever got this much on a price drop. 

Joan 😲🙃

On 1/27/2022 at 9:23 AM, 2chiefs said:

We owe you a drink too! We just called our TA and she got our fare reduced by $860 plus an added $50 OBC. Same room!!

BIG savings

Just a reminder... I do like chocolate martinis.😉