Free upgrade promo

KevintheIrishDJ

I can't say for sure if this is your case, but many times (usually?) the free upgrade is within a given category. The "free upgrade" part is that all cabins within a category are the same price. For instance, in a basic balcony cabin, the cabins midship are the same price as the cabins far forward. What cabin did you book and what ship?

• Like 1

Often this refers to a location upgrade. Prices vary by location with mid-ship being priced higher than cabins towards the bow or stern. With a location upgrade, all the cabins are the same price within each category. So for example a mid-ship Mini-Suite costs the same as one all the way up front. It could be this type of upgrade and you were looking for something different. Though I would think that a travel agent would have picked up on this. 

edit to add: Was typing at the same time as Sea Hag. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

The offer says: "balcony views at interior fares!"

Does it actually say “Upgrade”?  Or are they just crowing about the fact that cruise prices now are depressed such that you can book a balcony for what one would EXPECT to pay for an interior?  I haven’t gotten any notice of a Princess sale going on now that provides an actual free upgrade from I to B. And I seem to get three emails a day. Maybe I missed it. 

edit: Just looked at my email and I see the message just came in. Let me have a look. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

The offer says: "balcony views at interior fares!"

I just checked and yes, there is a sale where the cruise I looked at had Balcony cabins priced the same as Interior, with Oceanview actually being higher. So the upgrade sale is real. 

• Like 1

We booked under the "free cabin upgrade" promotion for our October cruise. The upgrade is automatic, we got a BB balcony, but you would only know it was an upgrade by digging through the booking summary where it had a line that said we were upgraded from a BF balcony.

I got the same email.  There were a few cruises - some short west coast cruises, Mexican Riviera, and a 4,5, and 7 day Caribbean cruise.  I looked at the 7 day, it was for western, but the dates didn't work for us with other trips booked.

1 hour ago, GloriaF said:

I got the same email.  There were a few cruises - some short west coast cruises, Mexican Riviera, and a 4,5, and 7 day Caribbean cruise.  I looked at the 7 day, it was for western, but the dates didn't work for us with other trips booked.

I checked several Caribbean and didn't see one.  What ship & date?

I noticed the same.  A balcony was cheaper than a view, obstructed or not.  

Already booked the cruise and got a true upgrade from an interior to a balcony and $200 onboard. Not going to temp myself in saving $75 and potentially losing the onboard.  

Two days ago we booked the Diamond Princess 16-day Hawaii for this Oct in response to that free upgrade promo!  Couldn't believe we got a BD Caribe deck balcony for Interior price ($1,100 ea).  Funny how the Oceanview was more than a balcony. Today however that price is gone.

16 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I just checked and yes, there is a sale where the cruise I looked at had Balcony cabins priced the same as Interior, with Oceanview actually being higher. So the upgrade sale is real. 

Your lucky must be an American promotion, here in Australia I queried any upgrade offers and got told no. Wonder if I should follow up?