Upgrade experience after final paymebt

Acadie

Hi folks,

I've searched for the answer of my question and come up short.  We recently booked an Alaskan cruise on the Jewel for June 2022.  We were too quick to book and just went for inside sail away.  Prices have gone down this week and we are now wanting to "upgrade" to free at sea.  Does NCL allow change in experience after final payment? Been holding on phone for an hour and thought someone here would know for sure! 

Thanks in advance 

There are many discussions on the subject.  In a nutshell, it all depends.  The current policy (it recently changed), as I understand, is 100% fcc for the difference for a price drop or a paid upgrade.

But there are also a number of restrictions, one being that the promos have to be the same - so subject to interpretation in the case of sail-away to free-at-sea, since that involves promos.  Try using the online chat - you might get a faster response.

Seems as if currently the cruise must also be 6 days or more and more than 14 days out.

Note: US policy, Canada might be different

Edited by julig22
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, julig22 said:

There are many discussions on the subject.  In a nutshell, it all depends.  The current policy (it recently changed), as I understand, is 100% fcc for the difference for a price drop or a paid upgrade.

But there are also a number of restrictions, one being that the promos have to be the same - so subject to interpretation in the case of sail-away to free-at-sea, since that involves promos.  Try using the online chat - you might get a faster response.

Seems as if currently the cruise must also be 6 days or more and more than 14 days out.

I believe it is FCC at 50% of the price reduction.  That is what we received a few weeks before our February sailing.

If you are upgrading and will owe NCL more money yes you can do it after final payment.

We just did this on our upcoming cruise to Bermuda on 04/15

I booked the cruise and paid in full about 10 days ago and then we decided to add the free at sea and upgrade our room to a balcony and there was no problem calling to have it done.

I paid the difference and we’re good to go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

I believe it is FCC at 50% of the price reduction.  That is what we received a few weeks before our February sailing.

100% fcc, effective March 10, per the information I was given.

And if you have NCL and after final payment forget it.   I tried as my price went down $2000 and could get nothing.  Solo booking with full price NCL air but, as if I booked today could not get air as to late, so they will give nothing.  Changed just a couple weeks ago.  Even if only 25% FCC would have covered most of Shore Excursions.  Not happy with NCL over this and canceled my bids for upgrade.  Will spend as little extra as possible and in future will not book until last few weeks and will not book their air. 

Although on a plus side received my air info this morning and got DFW - YUL (Montreal) & YUL to LHR (London) and direct flight back AMS (Amsterdam) to DFW.  Flight times are all good.

3 minutes ago, jebhoward3 said:

And if you have NCL and after final payment forget it.   I tried as my price went down $2000 and could get nothing.  Solo booking with full price NCL air but, as if I booked today could not get air as to late, so they will give nothing.  Changed just a couple weeks ago.  Even if only 25% FCC would have covered most of Shore Excursions.  Not happy with NCL over this and canceled my bids for upgrade.  Will spend as little extra as possible and in future will not book until last few weeks and will not book their air. 

Although on a plus side received my air info this morning and got DFW - YUL (Montreal) & YUL to LHR (London) and direct flight back AMS (Amsterdam) to DFW.  Flight times are all good.

No upgrades after final payment if you took the airfare promo - been the policy since last August.  Airfare promo falls off after 90 days, after which the promos won't match and no options to upgrade. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Did the FCC eventually show up on your account by itself?  Our sailing completed two weeks ago, so I'm expecting some time is needed for NCL to do their thing.  How long did it take for the FCC to show up for you? just curious on what/when to expect.

25 minutes ago, n4w said:

Did the FCC eventually show up on your account by itself?  Our sailing completed two weeks ago, so I'm expecting some time is needed for NCL to do their thing.  How long did it take for the FCC to show up for you? just curious on what/when to expect.

I called about two weeks later to have it applied to another cruise.  I did not see it myself online, but it was there when I inquired about it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, julig22 said:

So they won’t let you pay for an upgrade if you’re less than 14 days out?

8 minutes ago, Encore37 said:

That's what some people have reported. It never hurts to call and ask, just don't be disappointed if they say no.  Could be the 14 days only applies to getting fcc because of deeper discounts.  Seems like they'd want your money!

58 minutes ago, Encore37 said:

I booked 12 days out for my February Escape cruise in a studio.  2 days later the Balcony's dropped their full single supplement and I was able to book one for $7 more (I called to do this).  Then I received the Upgrade offer and bid $100 for a Spa balcony and won my bid.  So it's possible to upgrade but I think it's going to depend on the ship and capacity.

• Like 1

My PCC submitted a price drop compensation request even though he’s over 50/50 that it will be denied.  Our Haven cabin for our May Alaska Encore has dropped a total of $7k Cdn but my PCC can’t just reprice it himself because the FAS dining and internet have changed and it’s triggering the “perks have changed” clause.

I’ve told him I’ll take whatever he can get us, even if it’s a tiny OBC or dining/internet for guest 3, something, anything to acknowledge the “loyalty” of those of us that booked ages ago in the midst of the uncertain travel times.  At least we have our perfect cabin, even if we could have saved money by booking last minute.  I guess that’s the chance you take…

Just of curiosity…

From what I understand the upgrade must be “paid” meaning that you have to pay at least $0.01 to NCL.

Does it cover situations when the base price is less than you paid but after adding gratuities you end up paying some money.

For example, let’s suppose I purchased OX for $700 pp. No beverage package because of X rate.

Then after final payment day, OF went down to, let’s say $600.

It is less than what I originally paid, but after adding drinks and restaurant packages gratuities ( $20x7 + $20 = $160 ) the price totals $760, so I actually do pay $60 pp to NCL.

Will it work?

I upgraded from balcony to haven forward facing penthouse after final payment. It changed my promotion to the one that was currently being offered. The only differences were internet changed from 250 minutes for one to 150 minutes for two, so they refunded me the money I already paid for unlimited because there is a price difference, and I get double latitude points (which I am happy to take). About 2 weeks ago I checked prices again and the Haven aft penthouse was the same price so I called and they told me it usually does not work because you have to pay something to upgrade but it worked and they upgraded me and kept the same promotion from my original upgrade. It may have worked because I previous upgraded after final payment but who knows. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lixogab said:

Just of curiosity…

From what I understand the upgrade must be “paid” meaning that you have to pay at least $0.01 to NCL.

Does it cover situations when the base price is less than you paid but after adding gratuities you end up paying some money.

For example, let’s suppose I purchased OX for $700 pp. No beverage package because of X rate.

It is less than what I originally paid, but after adding drinks and restaurant packages gratuities ( $20x7 + $20 = $160 ) the price totals $760, so I actually do pay $60 pp to NCL.

Will it work?

That is exactly our situation.  Upgrading from sail away to free at sea would be a $140 difference.  They want us to pay over $700.  Occasionally having a glass of wine at dinner and going to Le Bistro once will not cost us $700, so it's a no go for us.  NCL will not budge.  Makes no sense to me, but I'm chalking it up to learning! 

12 hours ago, lixogab said:

Just of curiosity…

Will it work?

No, base fare only.  

Called today and asked if I can get some FCC. The price difference is $100.10 per person.

The lady asked to hold while she is communicating with a team mate.

After few minutes she came back and told me that I will get the FCC but after the cruise is complete. When I asked how much, she told me I’ll get an email with details within 7 business days.

Sounds weird but will see how it goes.

12 hours ago, Acadie said:

That is exactly our situation.  Upgrading from sail away to free at sea would be a $140 difference.  They want us to pay over $700.  Occasionally having a glass of wine at dinner and going to Le Bistro once will not cost us $700, so it's a no go for us.  NCL will not budge.  Makes no sense to me, but I'm chalking it up to learning! 

Weird. Is it for 1 week cruise?
Usually the fare difference between sailaway and regular cabin is $100 per week, but for some itineraries I saw as much as $200 for 10 days. That’s per person. On top of that $20 pp p/day beverage package gratuities plus $20 pp dinner package. Still it’s hard to understand how they came out to $700. 

19 hours ago, lixogab said:

Weird. Is it for 1 week cruise?
Usually the fare difference between sailaway and regular cabin is $100 per week, but for some itineraries I saw as much as $200 for 10 days. That’s per person. On top of that $20 pp p/day beverage package gratuities plus $20 pp dinner package. Still it’s hard to understand how they came out to $700. 

We paid to upgrade our cabin and the balance due included Port Fees ,Taxes and Dining Perk gratuities again. Thought we already paid these with cruise fare for first cabin. NCL will not budge- We have to pay for total fare of new cabin, minus what we already paid on final payment.

20 hours ago, phissy said:

We paid to upgrade our cabin and the balance due included Port Fees ,Taxes and Dining Perk gratuities again. Thought we already paid these with cruise fare for first cabin. NCL will not budge- We have to pay for total fare of new cabin, minus what we already paid on final payment.

Did your upgrade pick up an additional specialty dinner?