Any ideas for new itineraries for 2024 or even 2025

Presto2

Have just been reading the Summer 2024 thread and a number of people are mentioning new cruises they would like to see to stop the same old, same old..

I will kick us off by suggesting more cruise and stay options for fly cruising or just one of them as a starter:

Sorrento  stay and the Med. cruises

Lake Garda / Venice stay and the Adriatic

Cyprus stay (Pafos) and Eastern Med cruises

More cruises to Iceland in school holidays please

More cruises to the Holy Land / Jordan  / Egypt PLEASE --- one would be good

From Southampton, any cruise but different itineraries  - more to Iceland, particularly in the Winter for the Northern Lights.

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Have just been reading the Summer 2024 thread and a number of people are mentioning new cruises they would like to see to stop the same old, same old..

I will kick us off my suggesting more cruise and stay options for fly cruising:

Sorrento  stay and the Med. cruises

Lake Garda / Venice stay and the Adriatic

Cyprus stay (Pafos) and Eastern Med cruises

More cruises to Iceland in school holidays please

More cruises to the Holy Land / Jordan PLEASE

From Southampton, any cruise but different itineraries  - more to Iceland, particularly in the Winter for the Northern Lights.

I wouldn’t argue with any of those, especially Eastern end of the Mediterranean. Maybe  add Cap Verde or anywhere on the north or west coast of Africa that is safe and interesting. Iceland in Autumn would also be popular and a different itinerary for the Northern Lights.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

I wouldn’t argue with any of those, especially Eastern end of the Mediterranean. Maybe  add Cap Verde or anywhere on the north or west coast of Africa that is safe and interesting. Iceland in Autumn would also be popular and a different itinerary for the Northern Lights.

I just think they need to be more creative ......

• Like 2

Just now, Presto2 said:

I just think they need to be more creative ......

Also British cruise that just calls at islands, especially Scottish ones with an emphasis on history, culture and scenic. Small ship obviously. I remember calling at Kirkwall on Artemis which at the time was the biggest ship to dock there. On the quayside, a piper welcomed us and the leader of the council shook hands with everybody who left the ship. Maybe a change of emphasis needed for P&O but it may be worth it. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

Also British cruise that just calls at islands, especially Scottish ones with an emphasis on history, culture and scenic. Small ship obviously. I remember calling at Kirkwall on Artemis which at the time was the biggest ship to dock there. On the quayside, a piper welcomed us and the leader of the council shook hands with everybody who left the ship. Maybe a change of emphasis needed for P&O but it may be worth it. 

CMV did some great Scottish island cruises, hopefully Ambassador will fill the void in coming years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

CMV did some great Scottish island cruises, hopefully Ambassador will fill the void in coming years.

Yes, we went on Marco Polo up to Shetland, Orkneys and Mull and also several mainland ports. Brilliant value for money. 
As regards to Wales, Holyhead and Milford Haven unfortunately aren’t the nicest places to visit! 

We visited Holyhead recently and the best adjective to use is ‘grim’. I felt quite upset to be honest, and also angry. But that’s another story. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

Eventually I would like to see a return to the Middle East and the Black Sea.

I wonder if they would consider basing a ship further afield - Far East? South America? 

The problem would be which ship.  The two smaller ones generally attract a 'maturer' passenger base, many of who may be reluctant to take a long-haul flight. Using a larger ship would pose logistical problems and would they fill it?  Marella have done this in the recent past but even with their own airline, there seemed to be a few problems plaguing the itineraries.

11 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

...As regards to Wales, Holyhead and Milford Haven unfortunately aren’t the nicest places to visit! 

The ports are naff but there are some lovely places very close by though.

• Like 1

Just now, Britboys said:

The ports are naff but there are some lovely places very close by though.

Of course, but nothing nice just to have a stroll around for a few hours. I think that excursions from Holyhead in the past have gone to Snowdonia, places like Llanberis and Betws y Coed. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Of course, but nothing nice just to have a stroll around for a few hours. I think that excursions from Holyhead in the past have gone to Snowdonia, places like Llanberis and Betws y Coed. 

Half-day tour of Anglesey with a stop in Beaumaris for the castle.  Caernarfon. Conwy & Llandudno. Portmeirion.

St Davids. Tenby.  Possibly fewer options from Milford Haven...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Like the idea of the Far East ----- some exciting places to see.

P&Os cruises to the far east and beyond are provided by the various segments on a world cruise. I doubt Carnival would want them competing with Princess and Holland America for far east or South America fly cruises.

As regards the request for cruise and stay on fly cruise holidays, in order to be practical the stay segment would need to be around the fly cruise airport, so its Malta or Gozo in summer, or Tenerife in winter. 

• Like 1

Smaller Greek Islands - Naxos/Paros, Samos, Lesvos, Patmos. Mainland - Patras, Kalamata, Thessaloniki.

Spain - Denia, Gandia, Tarragona, Palamos, Roses. Ibiza & Minorca.

Italy - Porto Venere, Rapallo.

France - Sete, St Raphael.

Albania?

Split, Korcula

Cape Verde Islands.

Iceland combined with Greenland.

Some of these have been visited in the past and many would probably require tendering.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

P&Os cruises to the far east and beyond are provided by the various segments on a world cruise. I doubt Carnival would want them competing with Princess and Holland America for far east or South America fly cruises.

As regards the request for cruise and stay on fly cruise holidays, in order to be practical the stay segment would need to be around the fly cruise airport, so its Malta or Gozo in summer, or Tenerife in winter. 

Why not stay in Sorrento and then cruise the Med using Naples as a port and airport?

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Plus, cruise and stay could be difficult profit-wise for P&O by the time they have contracted flights & hotels and found a way of providing some sort of representation at the hotels. It works well for Marella being part of TUI who already have such contracts in place.

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Why not stay in Sorrento and then cruise the Med using Naples as a port and airport?

Probably because P&O choose Malta because its location enables them to provide western med and eastern med itineraries from one location.

Due to the current situation it would have been nice if P&O had done a couple more round Britain cruises or a couple of seacations. I know the adult ships are doing round Britain but it’s just one each I think. I’m sure there would have been plenty of takers in the current climate.

One year Oriana did a 7 night to Ireland, a sea day each end and 4 ports in Ireland - I couldn’t persuade John to go and then Oriana was let go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Due to the current situation it would have been nice if P&O had done a couple more round Britain cruises or a couple of seacations. I know the adult ships are doing round Britain but it’s just one each I think. I’m sure there would have been plenty of takers in the current climate.

One year Oriana did a 7 night to Ireland, a sea day each end and 4 ports in Ireland - I couldn’t persuade John to go and then Oriana was let go. 

Yes, more round Britain including Ireland cruises would be appreciated. The 7 nighters to Norway this summer are OK if you like scenery but some of the ports are less than inspiring for example Haugosund. The best itinerary is Stavanger/Geiranger/Olden/Haugosund. Stavanger is not on a fjord so you need an excursion there and Haugosund has nothing going for it.

I am thinking of cancelling my 14 night cruise on Iona next January and replacing it with 7 nights on MSC from Southampton with the ship as the destination. Seven nights or less look attractive at the moment as you have less chance of the cruise being spoiled by onboard isolation. Board the ship without the infection, be careful aboard and you may well get to the end before the dreaded lurgy gets you, not so much so with 14 nights.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

Smaller Greek Islands - Naxos/Paros, Samos, Lesvos, Patmos. Mainland - Patras, Kalamata, Thessaloniki.

Albania?

Split, Korcula

Cape Verde Islands.

Some of these have been visited in the past and many would probably require tendering.

Do the ships have the required ice classification?

18 minutes ago, sogne said:

Do the ships have the required ice classification?

I don't know about the Ice Classification but I think P&O ships have visited Greenland in the Summer in the relatively recent past...🤔

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

Albania?

Split, Korcula

Cape Verde Islands.

Some great ideas there Britboys!

I especially like the Denia idea - Denia is a lovely place with lots to do - it was obvious now you've said because it's a good ferry port so you would think things were already in place for a cruise ship port of call.  Is Roses up by Sitges?

I'm going to get stamped on here, but don't knock it till you've tried it, a few years ago the local papers were saying that Benidorm was to become a cruise ship port - that would be a tender though.

I also like your other choice of Ibiza and Minorca, I think there are harbours at each end of Minorca so that would lend it's self to two days perhaps - Mahon being the city and Ciudadela more for the beach fans.  I prefer to sail from Southampton but I do like the idea of flying to Palma and seeing various places on the Balearic Islands.

4 minutes ago, Waju said:

Some great ideas there Britboys!

I especially like the Denia idea - Denia is a lovely place with lots to do - it was obvious now you've said because it's a good ferry port so you would think things were already in place for a cruise ship port of call.  Is Roses up by Sitges?

I'm going to get stamped on here, but don't knock it till you've tried it, a few years ago the local papers were saying that Benidorm was to become a cruise ship port - that would be a tender though.

I also like your other choice of Ibiza and Minorca, I think there are harbours at each end of Minorca so that would lend it's self to two days perhaps - Mahon being the city and Ciudadela more for the beach fans.  I prefer to sail from Southampton but I do like the idea of flying to Palma and seeing various places on the Balearic Islands.

Roses is in the very far north of Spain, up beyond Palamos. I know it is a regular port of call for Marella, so I expect at the least Aurora could dock there.

Mahon is lovely but access is fairly restricted as entrance is up a relatively narrow channel which may be shallow? It is a lovely sail-in. I believe the new Saga ships have called there and they are not that much smaller than Aurora. I visited on Victoria many years ago.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Unfortunately the world segments don't offer anything in depth enough for me and there are too many sea days. Princess and P&O often go head to head to head on sailings from Southampton, so I am sure Carnival can find a way for P&O to do it. I think British style cruising would be very popular in  Japan but by the time P&O  do it I'll have already been.

• Like 2

It never ceases to amaze me that all these other companies can compete with P and O from this country but the reverse never happens, for the destinations we want to cruise to we are having to book with Princess, HAL, Azamara, Celebrity  because they have ships homeported in other parts of the world. I can understand the problems with having to arrange flights with third parties for fly cruises but it cant be insurmountable, we have done it with these other cruise lines . nearer to home would like some more of Italy instead of the usual suspects, done a British Isles cruise and to be fair it didn't feel like a "proper" cruise but everyone has different tastes. Just feel its about time P and O mixed it up a little ,    or a lot